The Escapees

Did I really hear this on the news, that the hunting cabin the murderers were thought to have stayed in is owned by correctional guards? Help? Ya think?

You guys ever read the book "Papillion?" which the movie was based on?

It was cool, talked about the way the Steve Mcqueen character went deep into his mind for long stretches in solitary confinement in order to survive the ordeal.

I have a vague recollection of such, as though I may only have read an excerpt of it. It is amazing how quickly I can forget the details of a book I've read, especially when it has a convoluted plot, like Lord of the Rings, maybe. I do not distinctly remember the passage you describe, so maybe I haven't even read it at all. I'll have to add it to my list. Steve and Dustin were an incredible team.

Thanks for your post.

Tim

I read it a couple of times, the section where he escapes and lives with a tribe of Indians and has two sisters as wives is widely disbelieved. Much of it is fantasy (or stories of other inmates) according to many, except for the basics facts of his internment on those islands.
Henri Charriere was the author. Brilliant book though.

Did I really hear this on the news, that the hunting cabin the murderers were thought to have stayed in is owned by correctional guards? Help? Ya think?

If true, it makes you wonder what a guy in prison would have to offer a corrections officer to induce them to do such a thing. Someone like a drug cartel boss would have a huge amount of money with which to bribe people, but what did these guys have?

Tim

If true, it makes you wonder what a guy in prison would have to offer a corrections officer to induce them to do such a thing. Someone like a drug cartel boss would have a huge amount of money with which to bribe people, but what did these guys have?

Tim

You don't have to give anybody anything, just convince them that you will. "I have it in such and such a place, and we'll meet up and go get it together." You can't really pass a large bribe very easily 'inside', I'd guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ricky Matt reportedly shot and killed by a tactical unit. The guy sounds like he was quite a character. I was reading a few articles, he was freakishly strong, had been shot 9 times in his life, was in jail in mexico for killing someone in a bar fight there and after a few years "he was too difficult a prisoner for the Mexico prison",(wtf?) and was shipped to US for jail. And here is a quote from a detective who dealt with him in the past: “I’m very concerned that people are going to get hurt the longer he’s out,” Mr. Bentley, 67, said. “I’ve seen him inflict wounds on himself, cut himself; break his collarbone and not seek any treatment. He’s just totally, totally fearless, and doesn’t respond to pain.”

When he was on trial for one of his murders, the glass was removed from the court tables so he couldn't break it and use shards as weapons. And he wore a "stun belt" during the trial in case he were to pull some chit. Word is he started young, terrorizing kids on the school bus.... He was reportedly into most every kind of crime except for drugs.

So they got outside and the prison worker that was supposed to help them escape in her car, pulled the plug on helping them any further and never showed. They must of had some choice words about her. Not enough romancing in the prison shop, I guess.

I'm not saying that, story up here kinda points to a lax prison rules and staff. I'm saying that people in positions of authority should play the part, like not sleep with prisoners and allow staff who are bringing items FOR the prisoners to slip by.

ahhh, I'm not following it closely, I just haven't seen any news up here on that angle. I like the ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure idea.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Should be interesting to see what info he provides on the escape and evasion.

Back