"Take a break" sign

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure is a smoking thing going on here, mostly from former times. Most everybody uses the word 'ipuku', when verbally announcing a break. It literally means 'one smoke'.

My guys have never asked for one, it's me that signals for them to shut off the chipper with the hand across the throat, and I come down.

if I did the 'you're dead' or 'kill it' sign to my guys, they would stand around waiting to see who was going to be fired. :D

They can usually tell by the look on my face in what manner I mean by the cutting throat signal:evil:

I do the fists thumbs extended snapping the twig movement for a regular break.

The T time out break they get nervous cause they know the lesson or speech is coming. Usually it is just a time out to regroup and streamline something for the work to move smoother. Or a lesson to be taught.

Rob is about the only one these days with the smoke ciggy sign... That is usually just for my benefit to let me know he is going to roll one and his attention is elsewhere momentarily. I used to do it when up the tree for him to send one up... But I quit in Dec. :)

Fella I work with often mimes eating a sandwich, but somehow it looks more like brushing his teeth...

I hate not taking the odd break, usually 10-15 at around 10:15am and a half hour lunch. Makes the day go by quicker, I think just as much gets done. Most of are jobs are full-day, so if we don't stop for breaks there's no stopping whatsoever.

I'm never the first one to stand up and mosey off back to work after a break, I let other guys do that. One guy does it, we all have to. Breaks are cool!

Sometimes a homeowner will join us in our break, pour our tea, but they usually don't say much, we being such intellectual talkers. :roll:

I'm never the first one to stand up and mosey off back to work after a break, I let other guys do that. One guy does it, we all have to. Breaks are cool!

Sometimes a homeowner will join us in our break, pour our tea, but they usually don't say much, we being such intellectual talkers. :roll:

Typical tree guys.:D

We use the tipping cup at the mouth method for breaks. We have hand signals for all the different scaffold components and you can usually tell if someone is getting irritated by the way he signals gear. Put out a bad vibe without even saying anything.

The biggest awakening for me about quitting, was seeing a long term smokers lung that had been removed from the body after death. Man, it was filthy black.

Mine was getting sick and not being able to climb or sing for lack of air. Really hit home when the kids got sad for it also. :( Maybe I will get more tree time, sing time, and time with my kids this way :)

Did we just derail this thread or wot:|:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdz_G1VGJ4c&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gdz_G1VGJ4c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There is that ;) In some cases it can be the only reason you get a break. Rob worked at Color Press before I took over the business, and they had to let him break for a cig. Other wise he would not get one. No one would come to relieve him other wise. They are like a sweat shop. They ended up with a huge lawsuit and pay back once for not paying lunches because they would not let people break for them. But smoke, and you get a break..

They have signals for a lot of things here... To inform when it is lunch time, someone will often make a sign with their hands that replicates holding a bowl with one hand and shoveling rice into your mouth with chopsticks in the other. I always have a sandwich though....:dontknow:

Back