"Take a break" sign

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys that don't take much in the way of breaks, you wouldn't agree that taking them is a good way to reduce physical stress? I read a lot about aches and pains amongst tree workers. Studies show that breaks increase productivity. Highly motivated people may not require it to stay keen, but what about some employees? At the crane guy's jobs, he brings a quickly assembled awning affair and fold up chairs. A place to run to when a sudden rain comes along as well. Age is probably a factor, but after the late afternoon break, I sometimes feel totally different with my condition much improved. It seems like resetting is in order with the physiology, to stay current.

Wow, some of that stuff looks downright disgusting. :barf:

I don't like stopping in the middle of a job, but most days there's usually a natural break point somewhere around the noon hour and I prefer stopping and refueling before getting back to work for the afternoon. This work can be quite intense and mentally fatiguing when every cut has the possibility of causing injury or property damage. I'm happier when I can disengage from that for 30 minutes and put some decent food in my gut at the same time.

I thought the same think, Brian.
But I just figured it was because I'm a veggie eater.

Butch, stuff that comes out of a can ain't decent food.

I don't believe in leaving the job to take lunch. If I know I'm gonna take a lunch, I'll pack a couple sammichs. Those Hormel things are just back up.

I eat such a huge breakfast it usually gets me through the entire day.

Breakfast usually gets me through until second breakfast, which holds me until early snacks, then some lunch on the go or just Balance bars/ trail mix/ fruit, which holds me over until more Balance bars/ trail mix/ fruit. Leftovers from dinner the night before make for a good lunch. Sometimes, its grab a Subway breakfast footlong Bacon Egg and Cheese, and a cold footlong for lunch (or second breakfast). Don't forget the coffee. I'd actually cut down to one cut in the morning while working for the Man, until Dahlia came along. Now its coffee 2-3 times a day, but cutting down a bit of late. And WATER.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I was going to say.... A person that does tree work and only needs breakfast, must have a very slow metabolism.

I get hungry around 1 or 2, but I'm usually off by then. I rarely work an 8 hour day, hence - no lunch break, if I can help it.

I dare say that there might be some safety element to it as well. I can sometimes feel a headache coming on when the work is intense. Breaks must be a learned skill or sumpin....
Your body suffers and tells you that he needs re-watering. Listen to it, it's an emergency !

Back