"Take a break" sign

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A red lumber crayon makes a good fake lipstick when you want to sign someone that they are doing a good job.

We don't take lunch. We do take 5 minute breaks as often as we like. My guys are welcome to take lunch. They choose to eat on the road or during down time. I let my guys break as often as they like. They're big boys. They know to let off the gas and when.

We take a lunch break probably averages 10-15min once a day and that's it. Unless the heat is on then I insist that guys take five every now and then to hydrate and recover a bit. Y'all would probably laugh at what I consider a hot day though!

We don't usually take any formal breaks. Before getting thirsty, or at least whenever thirsty, stop and drink. Before getting hungry, or at least when you're hungry, stop and eat. Sometimes we will finish a task for a period of time, like a round of chipping, and its a natural time to break.

Used to use the gesture of breaking an imaginary stick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If I was the supreme commander of tree work, the law would be that everyone takes lunch and minimum two additional breaks per day. Must be that I have grown accustomed to the culture of my current residence, but I can't imagine it any other way. A break is very invigorating to rewind and then go on the attack again...at least we find it so. Customers are often there to supply the fuel too. I dare say that there might be some safety element to it as well. I can sometimes feel a headache coming on when the work is intense. Breaks must be a learned skill or sumpin....

No lunch break here, I don't want it. Just get the job done and go home. When I'm hungry, I'll stop and snack on something.

Me too, get it over and get going.

I carry some stuff in the truck, if I get hungry I just grab some trail mix or a trail bar.

I keep a couple of these on my truck. They taste OK at room temp.

zqb-1584_1z.jpg

At the almond sheller the sign was like Brian said like breaking a stick. It didn't need to be communicated by most of us as we just took our breaks whenever we didn't have anything pressing to do. The guy who watched the "gravity table" needed to have someone take his place while he took his break and so would signal one of us as to his need to take his 320 pound ass outside for a cigarette.

If I am going to be all day on a job and most of it aloft, I get a subway sammich and chips and have it sent up. Lunch aloft can be nice at times when the view is right.

we usually grab a lunch, sometimes its while driving and sometimes we just chill in the truck for 15-30 if its a brown bag kind of day. No coffee breaks here but when I have people working with me I dont mind if they take a 5 minute here and there for water etc, we're all grown ups.

If we are logging, we quit for ½ an hour at noon.

On climbing and other jobs, it is short breaks when the timing is right.

Back