Stump Grinding Discussion.

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
BrendonV started the 38 Special thread.

In order not to derail too much from that, I thought I'd start a new one to discuss any/ all aspects of grinding.

Scott/ Arborworks was suggesting a good hourly revenue from his grinder.

Might be that I'm not getting enough from my machine per stump, or maybe just right but don't knows it. Since I don't know many people locally, and see what they are getting for what kind of stumps, this might be informative.

Couple questions for y'all:

How do you specify the scope of work in the grind? Depth? chasing surface roots? Found objects like embedded rocks/ metal? Pricing for material disposal or just leave in place?

The cutting wheel belt broke on my grinder this morning. Grrr.

I do so few that it's not really worth it to drive out and do an estimate and schedule the grind for a second trip. I visit with them on the phone a little... front yard or back, what kind of tree, is it on relatively flat ground (slopes are more), is it taller than 4", approximate diameter?

I will give them a price over the phone. They usually say git er done. Only once has the job been more involved than what they described over the phone. I adjusted the bill slightly to cover it, they didn't have a problem with it.

Chasing roots would be the same price per inch that I quote for the stump. The customer soon realizes that would get really expensive. They choose not to have me chase them.

Stumpgrinding. Sucks imo.

I'm charging out hourly mostly, than size, chasing, clean-up, whatever doesn't matter.

If it's an estimate just for a stump we charge per diameter, double it was for they want clean up. If it's part of a removal or other work we charge hourly. We are set to charge a higher rate for stumping but now we charge the same as our work rate. We look at it as there is no real difference between using a big chipper or a little grinder so why charge differently?

Here's my deal. I have an 80$ minimum in town. I grind 6-8 inches deep on average. More depth= more money. Yesterday I ground over 130 stumps in just under 3 hours,$1000.00. I have the only self propelled grinder in 25 miles. I get alot of jobs that are not accessed by trucks. Around ponds and wet areas.

However I would not be able to get that average with a smaller machine. I also find that when someone calls about a stump, they have had a recent occurrence with said stump, and now it has to go right now. If you can provide same day service then you can command a little higher price as well.
It's easy money, boring but easy money.

I don't think that there is a stump grinder in the whole country, perhaps in all of Asia. People leave them or have them dug out, mosly leave them.

I don't think that there is a stump grinder in the whole country, perhaps in all of Asia. People leave them or have them dug out, mosly leave them.

That's crazy. Hmmm, do I possibly smell a business opportunity for Jay????

Gotta say, I love grinding stumps. It combines wood cutting and excavation, 2 of my favorite things in life;)

I really don't know, Cory, I have thought about looking into grinding as a sideline, but people these days already just about kill themselves to crack open their wallets for other general tree work, not sure how the added costs would effect their ideas about things. i don't think i would mind it, I already do about every other aspect of relating to wood in one fashion or another, breathing a little more dust, what the heck.... I agree, wrecking is fun after being so careful with wood in other ways.

Stumps are a big part of my business, I bought my Vermeer 252 new in the spring of '03 and the little guy has paid for it's self many times over. I charge $6 per inch diameter, stump core completely out with cleanup included. 700 series Greenteeth are the fastest setup to use.

I have made $300 hr X 8hr days with it many times. Best sales pitch I give to the customer after estimating removing the tree is "You can easily plant a new tree right here where your old was.".............. then the tape measure comes out.

Everyone enjoying spring break?

Attachments

• SDC10674.jpg
    SDC10674.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 39
  • SDC10676.JPG
    SDC10676.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 38
  • SDC10677.jpg
    SDC10677.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Willard, how many grinders are in your area?

How big are your stumps on average that you can give a price per inch and not lose out as they get bigger, with stump volume increasing somewhat exponentially?

Everyone enjoying spring break?

Not yet.
Still have one day of logging left to do.
We really busted ass trying to finish the last stand of maple on friday, but didn't make it.

I'll be glad to clean the saws, and hang them on the wall come monday evening.
It has been the hardest logging season ever.
I'm beat.
Time for some R&R and some easy jobs.

Willard, how many grinders are in your area?

How big are your stumps on average that you can give a price per inch and not lose out as they get bigger, with stump volume increasing somewhat exponentially?
Sean, I have the only self propelled in my area. But I am setup to take out the little ones too. I lose on diameters over 36", so I just grind with no cleanup on those ones and only charge $4 inch. Majority of my stumps are 12-16".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sean, I have the only self propelled in my area. But I am setup to take out the little ones too. I lose on diameters over 36", so I just grind with no cleanup on those ones and only charge $4 inch. Majority of my stumps are 12-16".

$100 for a 16" stump seems like a money maker when you have your stumper with you on a one man-one rig show.

I envy your one man show, Willard. Even so much I was thinking about getting /building one of those bandit/chip box combos and towing it behind the rear mount.

I dunno. Mind changes daily.

I'm not sure I could bring myself to charge someone $100 for a 16 inch stump.
Alot of past customers have told me the same. He attempts to dig out the stump with a spade and axe. A couple of days later his wife calls me and tells me to take it out.
I arrive finding a nice cleaned out stump dug all around and the husband is no where to be found.:lol:

No harm in being expensive. They can call someone else. They aren't obligated to only hire you.

I envy your one man show, Willard. Even so much I was thinking about getting /building one of those bandit/chip box combos and towing it behind the rear mount.

I dunno. Mind changes daily.

It does get lonely being a one man show though, Brendon.
I miss the crazy conversations with my old right hand man Rob, laying him off was the best thing I did for him though. For the last couple yrs he's been up at the tar sands in northern Alberta driving one of those big dump trucks with the 15 foot high tires. He's making $400 a day and driving a new 500 horse Camaro.The company he works for flys him out every 3 weeks to visit back home. He wouldn't have that working for me.

Back