Stump Grinding Discussion.

Nice. I think you'll want to shield the belt and sheave area to prevent debris from running in there.

I think that as engines/ hp are smaller, that optimizing tricks help. I think that people have talked about working down the grain, attack it radially, rather from one side of the stump toward the other.

Sharper teeth are more important with low hp. Cleaning around the stump to remove rocks helps. Depends on your soil type. Glacial outwash, here, aka a lot of rocks in area that used to be meandering streambeds. Local variations.

I believe some with cut the outside of the stump, getting to cleaner wood, then cut more out with a saw.

I'm impressed by your ingenuity.

Ime, the most productive way to grind is down at 45 degrees you are optimizing the separation of the chip from the stump.
It's breaking off both radial and round grain if you see what I mean.

Ahh, good tips from an experienced grinder.

Thankfully, my grinding time is limited, but I'm coming around to the idea of standing around fiddling levers for money more and more. Even ground a few at my rental for money off the rent.

Thanks Sean. I've been fooling with this stump grinder foolishness for a few months, I was hoping my dad would throw some cash my way to buy one, but he didn't bite and only trickled some for materials. The disc was the major hold up, he and I talked endlessly of where to buy the steel and the out to lunch cost of steel in my area, for months and months. After the superstructure was assembled and had 3 test runs , he discovers in his basement a 12" half inch plate.....

anywhoo I'll bore it for 1.250" up from the 1" shaft I have now, true it up at about 11" and layout the teeth, give a spin on the balancer and install....

IMG_20151115_154312.jpg

You might consider having a megaphone play Ride of the Valkyries when you tow that thing around. Or set said megaphone on a tripod to play the song when you are grinding a stump. Have it on continuous loop.

It might have been that head trauma I suffered a few years ago, but every time I look at that pic, I hear Ride of the Valkyries.

Haahaa seems everyone's first instinct with the handles up in travel position is to hop on the foot bar and ride it as a charriot.

It might have been that head trauma I suffered a few years ago, but every time I look at that pic, I hear Ride of the Valkyries.

Interesting.
I hear Robert Duvall saying he loves the smell of napalm in the morning.

....love this thread...

Now I'm thinking alpine magnum, just called them. $4600 with 3120 head. $5400 with 880...Tight access small stumps are my thing anyway, and street trees.....

The rep was saying it works well for edges since it plunge cuts parallel with the concrete edge. Plus one thing I've learned researching these is that I bet I could get rid of it pretty easy.....

The 252 will come next when I find a place to keep it.....

This machine will store easier in my garage.

Its way portable, for a city operation where space is a commodity, jobsite parking and shop parking.

Back