Stump Grinding Discussion.

I meant 3 holsters for my alpine magnum.

Attachments

• crew5.jpg
    crew5.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 77
Seems like possibly a good deal. Sitting for long periods can be hard on some things, seals and such. Looks like it might well have been stored inside, thats a plus.

I think I would rather chew the stump out of the ground than use a 252. The price seems fair tho.
I had one for a bit and went up to s 652 with no regrets hp is where it's at.

Yes..... money and parking.

I need a stump er and for my first. ......either an Alpine Magnum, Dosko or small self propelled like 252.... I got like 5k to spend.

I might go Alpine out of those three.

Disagree completely, an alpine is a niche tool for very particular jobs, the 252 is a good workhorse that'll make you a lot of money without busting your nuts. I had a rayco super junior 1625 basically the same as the Vermeer. Made a lot of money with that. Slow, but will do big stumps, the alpine won't.

I agree, the AM is brutal on big stumps. If you don't have a good place to rent a good stumper or a good sub contractor I wouldn't take on big stumps with it.

Street trees point away from an AM. The bigger the machine the better, so long as it will fit the space, and the rig/ parking.

Retensioning belts to appropriate spec after stretching made a big difference on my Rayco SuperJr.

I'd rather have a smaller machine in better condition than a bigger machine for the same $.

252's seem like they are probably easier to sell, if/ when you upgrade, as more small services can afford a smaller machine to get started.

Actually the little stumps and little planters are great for the AM

I mean that if you can drive up a self-propelled grinder to the street tree stump, horsepower will win. Poor access, like planters, I'd imagine your best machine for the job is the AM.

I don't understand the question.... Teeth fit in the pocket just how they're supposed to...

I think that there is a gauge for setting those teeth. Allows you to vary the depth when you have many teeth. Remember, balance (which I bet you will).

I don't understand the question.... Teeth fit in the pocket just how they're supposed to...

Yah I wasn't following that either. If they are adjustable for depth or can move in and out or whatnot I'd sure want to be confident in what was holding them in place.

On some machines (like my old rayco) all the pockets where in the same place and you placed the finger teeth at various depths to get a staggered bite.
The newer machines have the pockets set at different depths so you just slot the teeth in.

About a 24" root flare spruce, about 1/2 hour. Nice little shake down, I have a small list of things to do and modify. Towed nicely behind the truck and didn't even flip over once!

. IMG_20151114_125711.jpg

Back