Sherrills new GRCS pricing

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 86
  • Views 13K
Yeah, you have to be careful about loosing wraps that way. This has a lot more to do with how you take off wraps, than how many wraps are on the drum. Try to keep the rope parallel to the wraps on the drum as you unspool it from the drum. That is the point of the pigtail: it keeps the rope entering the drum parallel to the wraps no matter where you stand when you are lowering. Do NOT let the rope get even close to 45 degrees to the drum as you can loose all of your wraps in the blink of an eye. I've seen this happen on sailboats before and it ain't pretty, so I've always been really careful about it when using the GRCS.

practice with small loads...unwrapping IS KEY!! or you will fock up. I just got my second GRCS...winch head on the new one is a good bit larger.

I know I'm a lush...two GRCS's!!!! But several times last year , two would have flat out dominated. I can't wait for a double GRCS job!!!:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I encourage everyone who does not have the latest DVD for the GRCS, to get one.

It explains alot

Good to hear it made there. I hope you can put it to good use.

I look forward to that meal.

I don't how much more lifting power you would need with the 7.5 amper. It does lift with athourity!!! Much more than I can crank going counter clockwise on the winch( forgot the gear ratio ) 16 to 1 ?? I think.

Anyway, Any hand type winching is going to have it's limitations short of using a winch truck. The limitations I have found have been not so much with the drill but more with the number of wraps you can get on the capstain before the rope loses traction on the capstain. If your using Stable Braid 5/8 it will lift and hold a hell of a load but is limiting for lifting because of the number of wraps you can get on the capstain. You can put more wraps using 9/16th's thus getting more lifting power and traction and still be able to hold a load compareable to a what a 5/8 th's will hold. The work horse rope we use is 12 strand True-Blue. It gives the most wraps on the capstain, good traction and speed for lifting. I like True Blue better than Stable Braid in 1/2 in. because it is easier to work with and seems to give better traction on the winch than Stable Braid.

I don't think I need to tell you this LJ but for others that might be reading and thinking about a GRCS drill generator set-up. The most limiting factor for lifting is not so much the drill or the winch but more how the notches and particularly the hinge and how thick it is that hinders a big lift. All factors that go into a heavy lift have to work in harmony or otherwise it doesn't give the desired results. The same goes for a doing a snap cut if a piece doesn't need to be lifted so to speak but just tensioned a little. The exacusion of the cut is more important than the hardware.

I'm going to get either the SuperHawg or Hole Hawg drill. I can see it being useful for yarding logs out of the woods, for pulling a climber into a tree, and taking quick slack out of a speed line, as in lifting branches way up after they've been cut and dropped into the rigging.
The SuperHawg, at 450 rpm divided by 13-1 gear reduction on the GRCS, and one foot of line movement per drum revolution, gives about 35 feet per minute, which is faster than my Simpson chain saw winch. And, in high gear, the drill would provide about 120 feet per minute! now that's fast!

I'm currently watching some ebay auctions for new and used drills. Looks to be plenty of opportunities to get a deal.

Bump Here's the SuperHawg on the GRCS in action.....go back and read this thread....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRqKT3K8rj0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRqKT3K8rj0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I scored the drill for $100, on craigslist! Thanks, willie! But the chuck teeth are stripped. I managed to get the drill adaptor tight with a couple pairs of channel locks. I'm told the chuck part is replacable. Second time we've used it, other time was yarding guys into some firs, which was slick and smooth.

Back