Sherrills new GRCS pricing

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 86
  • Views 13K
Why buy one when you can have two for twice the price!

We DO have one guy that has that $600 green thing Sherrill used to sell, but all it is is a glorified portawrap. It doesn't crank anything.

There are somewhere between 200-600 companies here in LA. I've yet to find anyone with a GRCS!

Maybe I need to get one just for that reason.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In the Sherrills catalog of the GRCS ad, the picture showing the drill bit attachment has been flipped somehow.

Maybe a photo chop mistake?

The rope is fed backwards through the capstan.

Oh and by the way, the truck hitch attachment photo is of my truck. -you may bow down to my most famous self, thank you very much :)

Not a single tree service here has one, and we have about 20 of them.

20 tree services? There's prolly 450 in the greater Seattle area...and maybe 4-5 GRCS's that I'm aware of.

I share mine with another company...have a couple jobs where I'll be using it ...it's been a few months since we've needed it. Made a lot of dough with it, a lot more than 10x return that's fo sho....The Hobbs gets little use now...

:big-guitar-hearts:
Oh and by the way, the truck hitch attachment photo is of my truck. -you may bow down to my most famous self, thank you very much :)

Fame and fortune for ya!!!

a gossipy tidbit for ya: Oh uhh, my friend and yours, "Chappie", now has to blow into a tube to get his truck started.....

a gossipy tidbit for ya: Oh uhh, my friend and yours, "Chappie", now has to blow into a tube to get his truck started.....

Is he o.k.? Sorry I don't understand what you mean...

Ah HA! Of course. One of those on board breath alizer things.

I head that if you want to mess with someone you can blow into their tube when yer drinking and cause their car to not start for a long time
:)

My contract climber had an ankle braclet on the first time he worked for me. He is still going to classes, but has shed the braclet

In the Sherrills catalog of the GRCS ad, the picture showing the drill bit attachment has been flipped somehow.

Maybe a photo chop mistake?

The rope is fed backwards through the capstan.

finally made me look:) it must be a reverse photo cause the guide for the self tailer is on the wrong side to. good eye frans

Not me, Greg G. pointed it out to me

I bought mine last Nov. at the TCIA Expo and I'm SO GLAD I did!

My wife runs the GRCS and does a great job. Having one has aloud us to do jobs where otherwise I would have had to bring in a crane service.

In Sherrill's new ad it says that the GRCS now has a stronger winch. Has Greg upgraded to a stronger Harkin winch?

In Sherrill's new ad it says that the GRCS now has a stronger winch. Has Greg upgraded to a stronger Harkin winch?

You bought the stronger winch. The old capstan was black in color. You bought the new sexy chrome one :thumbup:

The truck mount seems hugely long for the loads it would be seeing.

What's the best way to power the winch? I've got a cranckfest of a job coming up.

I was thinking about using a starter motor. Make a bracket to attach a handle, weld a key to whichever end to allow it to turn the winch in the lower gear (reduce speed), and a simple trigger switch to fire it.

Depending on the speed I might have to run it off 6 or 8 volts to slow it down a bit more.

Someone have a better idea?

Carl, I've got the drill bit for the GRCS, and since I don't have a GRCS that I can use anymore it's not doing me much good. If it would help you out let me know and I'll send it to you.

Hey thanks Leon!

Let me figure out how to power it before you send it off.

Do you know what it's made out of? It looks shiny so I'm guessing either stainless or chrome plated?

It's shiny and heavy. Other than that I don't know how to tell the difference. If you like I can take a picture and post it here.

Hmmm, I know Frans has a Hole Hawg which is a 7.5amp drill that he has used for lifting people with the GRCS. Milwaukee also makes a Super Hawg, 13 amps/2.5HP, 21lb, 1/2" drill.

I think that would do dandy, but I'll wait for Frans to comment or Greg to respond to my email I'm fixing to send.

Frans,

I also noticed that in the new Sherrill catolog that pictures the capstain is installed backwards in one of the pics. I think it is just an error that slipped through the editing process. Maybe someone should bring it to Sherrill's attention and check it out.

LJ

Just break down and buy one of those drills from Milwaukee. I have the the 7.5 amp one makes life so much easier doing a removal. That 13 amp monster has got to be awesome.

I agree about the truck mount. It looks a little long and sticking out to far from the back of truck. I don't know if I like that or not. I have been thinking about getting a truck mount for our GRCS this year. The one in the video doesn't look that long.

I don't know what the normal cost of the truck mount is but it seems a little pricey for what Sherrill is listing it for considering it is just a couple pieces of steel. I haven't heard back from our Morbark dealer for their price on the truck mount to compare.

The price of steel has gone up so maybe that is the right price for the truck mount. I have definately noticed the difference in the price of chipper knives and stump cutter teeth reflecting the increase in the price of steel and shipping. Kind of a two way street, scrap steel is still paying good but you have to give back the money when you buy new steel in the form of products manufactured from steel.

It's not the price that concearns me, it's "what is my money going to get me?"

Does your 7.5amper lift pieces with some athority? What I don't want is to buy a $300 drill only to find it will take the slack out of the rope, leaving me to do the rest.

I want to be able to lift any piece the winch could otherwise lift without having to worry about if the drill will do the deed. If it will then I'll probably buy a drill and a generator, although I may wait until I need the generator to get it.

Back