Search for a new grinder

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
I'm starting a new thread to focus on getting a new grinder. As some of our know I am in the market for a new stump grinder in the 35-40hp range. So far we have tried a Morbark and Bandit and have not been impressed with either. I have a Vermeer demo set up for next week and am in talks with Carlton to maybe set up a demo with them.
40a1619aefb6301e1e669967cce9237a.jpg
4a9424bf69dfffaaffdbb0700dfc636c.jpg

Broken record here... Mini first, sub grinding or get an attachment for the mini. Maybe not as good as a 35-40 HP grinder.

38 special, 12k, a cheaper used mini, 6-12k, 2.5k for BMG, a bit more for BMG scoops. Stumper attachments start at 2500.

Do it all with one machine.

What price range are you looking to spend?

If you wanted a 70 HP grinder to keep up with a big removal crew, I would understand.

I any day how much I love a mini- loader, and hope to move to an articulated loader in time (a long time, likely). Sounds like we have similar businesses, small crew, tree care and removals, using our own backs, or our own machines.

Just my, no vested interest, 2 cents. BrendonV told me a long time ago to buy a mini and Wraptor. I wish I'd bought both years earlier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you and I are definitely in the same boat. There are two main issues driving our purchasing decision. We want dependable/reliable equipment and our budget is probably up to about $30k. Imo that puts a loader and grinder attachment out of range. But we can buy a new grinder that will last us until retirement. It turns out that we put about 100 hrs per year on our old grinder.

The shields are just made from mesh tarps and some plastic fence posts. We got everything at Menards for maybe $30 they have lasted 4 years I believe and do a great job keeping the mess contained.

I am interested in Rayco but they won't reply to my emails. In my mind, I always think of Carlton and Rayco as the two top stumper manufacturers.

In Europe the jump from the 35hp petrol at 17000 pounds to the 44hp diesel at 30000 was too much for me.

My mate has a tow behind 66hp job and we both had the super jr 1625. You'll not hear a bad word from either of us on any of them.

If I remember correctly, the Bandit guy told me that the diesel would add almost $10k. The grinder that we tried was $28k already. Plus we don't really want diesel anyway.

Diesel on stumpers seems so much better fire that application but I understand your fueling ideas. Streamlining certain aspects is nice.

Get a mini with a bmg and the 38 special. Carl could price you out, but my guess, you'd be right around $35k, give or take a few thousand. Seems like a lot but you can do so much more. 100 hours a year is nothing for a grinder, so the 38 special would suit you well. Do yourself a favor and go that route, instead of a dedicated stump machine. Telling you, you'll be thanking yourself and wondering why the hell you didn't do it sooner.

Which would you rather do, spend $30k on a dedicated machine you can only use for one task and that gets used 100 hours or less a year, or spend $35k on a multi task machine you can use for any number of tasks that'll get used at least 400-600 hours outta the year, while making you more money, and saving your body, while upping production two or three fold without adding another employee.

I appreciate the input but we're going to stick with the plan for now. Believe me, we've been around and around about this and we feel this is the right choice for us at this time.

I like the looks of the Bandit 2550XP.
35" wide 4X4 . 44HP gas and the beltless hydro static drive is the big seller from me.
Going on 12 years with my Vermeer 252SC and it paid for itself many times over but I hate those stupid pillow block bearings, belts, jackshaft with so much maintenance.
Funny there isn't more hydro static cutter drives on the market.

I like dedicated grinders. I think the mini loader 38 special units would be a PITA. Hooking up unhooking and finding room for the attachment .Plus how can you see the stump from the loader seat.

I'd make a bucket attachment for the 2550's blade possibility use that to move chips to the dump trailer.

Still has belt drive and I think I'd get lots of call backs to cleanup for root flares etc that I missed with the poor visibility.

If he was using a grinder more than 100 hours a year, say 500 hours a year or more, I'd say get a dedicated machine. But at only 100 hours or less a year, do you really use it enough to justify spending $30k on a dedicated machine that will only do one task? From a business perspective imo, its more economical and will make you more in the short and long run to invest an extra few thousand into something that will not only grind your stumps, but also drag brush, move wood, carry trees or plant material if you plant trees or do landscaping, plow snow when needed, move soil, the applications are endless.

Some interesting stuff, the last one is just a stump grinder on the forks.
I wouldn't swap my Rayco grinder and kubota tractor and grab for those however.
Thanks for posting.

Dedicated grinder for grinding, this for lifting, shifting and a hundred other things, plus doesn't rip up grass.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 64
Get a mini with a bmg and the 38 special. Carl could price you out, but my guess, you'd be right around $35k, give or take a few thousand. Seems like a lot but you can do so much more. 100 hours a year is nothing for a grinder, so the 38 special would suit you well. Do yourself a favor and go that route, instead of a dedicated stump machine. Telling you, you'll be thanking yourself and wondering why the hell you didn't do it sooner.

Which would you rather do, spend $30k on a dedicated machine you can only use for one task and that gets used 100 hours or less a year, or spend $35k on a multi task machine you can use for any number of tasks that'll get used at least 400-600 hours outta the year, while making you more money, and saving your body, while upping production two or three fold without adding another employee.

Heck of a good post Adrian.
Eric, How much per hour do you grind stumps for? Even having to come back and occasionally re grind is no biggie for that much grinding imo.

Back