Search for a new grinder

Agreed (rope armour) looked at a stumpy attachment on mine, My mate has one on his 40 hp kubota,good sweep I'll give it that, hard on the tractor though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So here's thing.... Our max budget is $30k....not $35k. I actually do know what's best for my company and that's getting a new, reliable stump grinder. I know that loaders are great and all but I don't do repairs. I pay for repairs. And I'm my opinion I will not find a reliable loader and grinder attachment. I wish money is not object, but it is. I'm pretty sure we are going to end up buying a grinder in the $20k range. So now there's even a bigger price difference between a loader and a grinder.

We get $75 per hour to grind... One hour min.

There you have it. We all share opinions but at the end of the day, its your name on your trucks and you have to do what feels solid for you.

Eric I charge per stump diameter inch. I would never charge by the hour too much lost revenue plus a high hour rate scares customers off

My 25hp 252 has made as much as $300+ hr.
By the inch had worked very well for.me. Easy to estimate and different rates for cleanup and no cleanup
$4 inch no cleanup $6 inch with cleanup .

We quote $5 per inch over the phone or for jobs that are only stumps. Even for those we usually are at $75 min. Generally speaking stump grinding is not a huge money maker, it's just a service that we have to offer. People around here want one contractor to complete the entire job. Subbing stumps out is not a customer favorite. Plus I wouldn't trust one single stump guy to do the job right.

Anything over 30" we charge by the hour. Or trees with lots of surface roots.

Plus how can you see the stump from the loader seat.
I have a stump slayer attachment and it swings a little further to one side, so you can line up your stump. You pretty much have the same visibility as a 252 or other small grinder without a swing-out control: none.

One thing we really like is the ability to bring the bucket with the grinder attachment, makes cleanup much faster.

You can see the top of grinder in the truck.
8f0060cedf669a08447df0c5f6d1de27.jpg

bbf9eab357d1a34f9630b5dbe045f2fe.jpg

db9c39b38f950e47910f0c2d29a132a7.jpg

I'm with you EMR. I like a dedicated machine. A stumper is purpose built. If Rayco ever gets back to you, their machines are really nice. I think the stump guy I use has a rg50. It's very impressive for it's size. He also runs a 75 hp tow behind that I really like

I hope to have a Terex TSG538 in the next month or so. I'll put it to work and get some videos up. The 538 lists for $18750; I have them at $17k plus shipping.

Eric knows this, just posting it up for others to see as well.

Last year, a Boxer 532DX, Stumper 220L, and BMG would have been right at $30k, plus some shipping. The 532 is discontinued now, however.

I want gas, so no to the 372. We've had too many problems with diesel and have phased all diesels out.

How cheap can a new mini be? Grinder attachments seem to be around 2500 on the cheap end, $4500 for a Stumper Industries low- flow 220 (don't know flow requirements), and $13000 for a 38 special. After getting my newly resurrected grinder (1993 Rayco superjr With a newer 25 hp Onan engine), running well, and TLC completed, I'll look to sell, and buy an attachment grinder. I don't think i will grind much. I face the similar challenges as Eric to subbing out, and I only know of one grinding-only company. Easier to do it all in-house, than sub, especially when it could result in a call back due to a sub's performance.

I don't like grinding, but it should be low risk money. I'll be wearing a dust mask more during summer dry conditions, and mounting an umbrella mount. Music in comm units would be nice, but I have to keep an ear open. Ahhh, grinding.

I have one of the first universal/38 special attachments in NA and it's still going strong I'm about to go use it most of the day. I'll try to remember to look at the hours on it. It's worked out great for me. It takes a bit of getting used to but packs a punch for it's size. Nice to put it to the side after on the big ones and slip on the bucket for clean-up.

Back