Search for a new grinder

Good to see you back Squish.
I thought whenever I get a mini loader a good winter project would be to convert my Vermeer 252 into a 38 special.
A little cutting and welding.......

But I'm interested in the Bandit 2550XP for a dedicated grinder that hydro drive looks great.
What did you not like about the Bandit emr? Was that a 2250?

The cheapest option I currently have would be a Boxer 320 for $14750. It wouldn't run a hydraulic grinder attachment very well. A 320, 38 Special, and BMG would be ~$29k plus shipping.

Stumper Industries dropped me a (and the rest of the dealers I knew of) back in January as well as bumped the price up $500 or so bucks I think it was. Also, they now recommend the 240L for the Boxer 532DX, which for 2015 is something like $6100. Ironically, they now offer free shipping, but told me I couldn't advertise free shipping back when I was a dealer.

Hydraulic drive isn't AMAZING when it comes to stump grinders. It offers some advantages, but like anything, it has its drawbacks as well.

After 12 years of maintaining my 252 PITA cutter drive I'm ready for a hydro drive.
I can see the hydro drive maybe not so good in long hot season climates but in Canada why not.

So what do you think about my 252 -38 special idea?

Those hydrostatic drives require a lot more hp to achieve the same power at the wheel as a belt driven grinder.

Yes I understand that but the time and money wasted maintaining a belt drive you could be out making money with he hydro.
I think that 44 hp engine would be more then enough power on that Bandit to get er done. Especially for a 4x4 35" wide machine.

Also, the high pressure hydraulics are quite sensitive to contamination, and fixing them can be quite expensive.

Your 38 Special idea is fine, the first idea/proof of concept was built from a Rayco 1625.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The grinder that I tried was the 2550 with a 35 hp Vanguard engine. I'm not a mechanic or engineer, but it seemed to have substantially less power than the Morbark which had a 38 hp Kohler gas engine. The Bandit had the newer Revolution wheel so that might have factored into the poor performance as well. But, like I mentioned, the Morbark had terrible teeth and loose belts but it still performed the same or slightly better than the Bandit.

I would think that if you put a 35 hp and 38 hp engine on the same machine that you would not be able to notice any difference at all.

Here's the problem with salesmen.... Both Bandit and Carlton salesmen told me the exact opposite thing about belt vs hydraulic drives. The Carlton guy told me the there are numbers showing that belt drives retain more hp out of the engine, and the Bandit guy told me there are numbers showing more hp out of hydraulic..... So far what I have seen and heard from others belt drives seem to be the way to go for stump grinders.

Belts take more power to the wheel, I find it difficult to believe any one would say otherwise.

One advantage (to hydraulic) can be that you can put the engine lower because it doesn't have to be "attached" to the cutter head. = more stability.

I don't find belts an issue, a few times over the last 12 years or so it chewed a belt and cost me a days work.

Grinding can be quite frustrating and boring so I'd hate to lose any power to the wheel, let alone pay more for the privilege.

Has anyone that's mechanically minded considered fitting their belt driven grinder with belt tensioning devices and completely sealed bearings? It does seem machines are factory engineered to require more maintenance than should be necessary....

I've never understood those ride on stump machines, seems you have all the cons of a mini with a grinder attachment but none of the pros. At least that vermeer has the swing out controls. I didn't know kohler made diesel engines.

I'll ask our vermeer salesman about the cost of that thing. And report back.

Demoing a Rayco RG40 on Thursday. Looks very nice. Anyone know anything about Subaru gas engines?

Had 25hp since 2003 and that is still kicking. Only ever had to replace rocker arm and pins. Bullet proof. 40 hp running now is doing really well.
Heard the engine is originally designed for small plane market.

I may become an OEM using Subaru engines. They have a 5 year warranty, weigh less, and are cheaper than Kohler engines.

Eric have you considered used. I would think 30g's is a nice used larger unit.
When I had my 252 I was of the same mind set stumping as a service but with a bigger machine it's now a real money maker.

We've looked used and called on a couple but nothing had panned out. But, yes we would definitely consider used if the right one for us came up.

Back