Rigging Failures

No rigging failure yet, but some limbs slipped through the sling, sllippery bark and/or bad position. Hopefully without damage.
One time, a limb landed in the street, the butt just between the two cars of the homeowner.

Oh yes, a near miss failure: in an oak, I butt tied a big limb with two slings to get enough strength (self rigging, without lowering), but I forgate to screw on one carabiner (as usual). His sling straitened it out and stayed just on the small hook. The second sling keept the limb in place.

mousquetonmort.jpg

I had a close call like that. A six foot by 10" chunk wiggled out of a clove hitch (bark slipped) and missed the control panel on a rented lift by a foot.

Bent a CMI block this week, the one that's good up to 5/8"s 28000 breaking strength. I beleive a rope ran across it and opened it? We had just had a 400-500pd piece of fir on it and the rigging line was coming back up and sounded funny going through the block so I checked it out. Open and bent, barely clinging to the strap. Scary, and lucky. A good reminder to be constantly checking things throughout the whole process, not just at set-up.

We used to place bolts - standerd rock climbing - in concrete and tie what ever we had around to a car and see what we could wreck .
Those were some fun days .
Mostly i just watched but my best buddy seemed to be obsessed with breaking things .
Same guy who augered face first into the ground from 83 feet .Thats distance was measured by the rescue team the day after his fall .
He lived and still does tree work today with only one leg .
And those old bolts are still in his driveway .

Scary stuff Squish... Double checking things only takes a moment... Thanks for the reminder and I am happy that ended well for you. A block is easy to replace.

Back