Climb rights vs gecko spurs

Do you all change boots during the day if you have mixed climbing? I have boots I really like for spurs, and boots I really like for rope, but there's no crossover. I could mix it a tiny bit, but for any real climbing, I'd want to change boots.

I’ve been getting away with the La Sportiva for spurless too, they’re not great, but they’re ok.
I’m already lugging around too much stuff, I don’t need different pairs of boots on the job, but that’s just me. As long as I’m not carrying it, I’ve no complaints or criticism if others wanna change boots on the job.

I've got Danner boots for spurs... And Lowa Renegades for pruning and I wear them for everyday work also. I only break out the danners for spur work.

I tend to wear Aku approach boots for pruning. Good rand, loads of grip and light.

I wear Andrews Cervino chainsaw boots when I am felling. Great on spikes and tough.

I don’t really swap out during the day unless it is a big climb of either type.

I’m sold on the La Sportiva Makalus and Karakorum mountaineering boots for spur climbing. A lot of the reviews for these boots are from linemen that are standing on spurs all day. I really can’t speak highly enough about them, I’m done with lineman and logger boots.

How do you like those boots for wearing all day doing all of whatever kind of treework and groundwork? Or are they too stiff and basically only used for spur work?

Edit - just saw where you addressed that question, but if you have anything to add, please do. Why the lasportivas only ok for spurless?

They’re really not comfortable for driving, my toes get a little numb and tingly. Super stiff soles and mid, thinking rolling or teistankle injuries would be next to impossible with them, and I think even when they’re as broken in as they get, they’ll still be stiff. I think that’s the idea because they’re made for use with crampons.
First time I put them on was a VERY weird feeling, like learning to walk, but was better after a few minutes.

Haven’t worn them in the snow yet, but I got high hopes they’re good for that too.

BackCountry and MooseJaw have them on sale a few times a year, and maybe there’ll be a nice sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Just ok for spurless because the soles are pretty hard. If on smooth bark when it’s a little wet, I sometimes choke a loop runner to step one foot into before cutting.

Pruned a friends Honey Locust and damaged the bark a little bit just with my feet. Lower bark on those is tough stuff but higher up in the canopy it’s thinner and you can mess it up some scratching it with a fingernail.

Last edited:
Back