Climb rights vs gecko spurs

Matagorn

Treehouser
Howdy everyone. I’ve been using climb right aluminum spurs with the greenish blue shin guards. Much more comfy then my previous spurs. Heard a lot about geckos. Anyone used both? Is it worth upgrading?

I sold the ClimbRights I had, I’m happy with Bashlin aluminum climbers, and I do believe I’m done shopping for spurs for the rest of my life.
Geckos definitely have a lot of fans and positive reviews, but might not be a big deal.

You sound like you’re satisfied with your Climb Rights, so what are you hoping to be different?
The guy that bought mine put them on a belt sander and really changed the profile of the spike to something similar to what we see on the Bashlin and Buckingham tree gaffs, I’ll try to find a pic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I sold the ClimbRights I had, I’m happy with Bashlin aluminum climbers, and I do believe I’m done shopping for spurs for the rest of my life.
Geckos definitely have a lot of fans and positive reviews, but might not be a big deal.

You sound like you’re satisfied with your Climb Rights, so what are you hoping to be different?
The guy that bought mine put them on a belt sander and really changed the profile of the spike to something similar to what we see on the Bashlin and Buckingham tree gaffs, I’ll try to find a pic.
I guess I’m always looking to eke out that extra bit of comfort in the tree. Especially on spurs. Thanks for the input. I’m sure I will be fine with the ones I have. Do you prefer pole or tree gaffs?

Geckos are mighty comfortable, in my experience. The CF model is so light that I never did get over laughing to myself as I put them on. But our esteemed MasterBlaster Butch found them uncomfortable...the only climber in the history of the TreeHouse to do so, but still a fact :).

I'll say again as I have for many a time before...pads are what make a set of spurs either miserable, tolerable, or comfortable all day.

One word...

Caddies.

:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Geckos are mighty comfortable, in my experience. The CF model is so light that I never did get over laughing to myself as I put them on. But our esteemed MasterBlaster Butch found them uncomfortable...the only climber in the history of the TreeHouse to do so, but still a fact :).

I'll say again as I have for many a time before...pads are what make a set of spurs either miserable, tolerable, or comfortable all day.

One word...

Caddies.

Thanks again. Pardon my ignorance. What do you mean by caddies?

What do you run on your Bashlins Jonny? They're still my favorite. I've been using my Geckos recently but only after I doubled up the pads for my bony shins. They're fine now.

Could’ve sworn I had a pic of what NailerB did with my old Climb Rights, but no dice.

These are caddies, it’s what I use too.
A622CE40-8335-494C-8F92-30CE51B4BDAC.jpeg

I got the shin cup pads with steel insert too, but prefer caddies, and my Buck titanium pole gaffs have Velcro wrap pads with insert.

Regardless of what pad you choose, I highly recommend something rigid, not just padding and leather.

I agree. Caddies are the way to go for me... Very comfortable. Burnham aimed me at them years ago.
I have used them since, so much better than the basic pads I used to use. I would put on shin pads and extra layers of cloth and things like that with those old t pads. The caddies are amazingly comfortable.

I have Climb Right pads on Buck TI's that I adjusted by bending them into more of a curve because they are too flat to engage your shin comfortably stock. Now they are super comfy for me. Velcro straps upper and lower.

I'm pretty happy with my lo tech setup of Buckingham steel climbers, and shincup pads. If they disappeared, I'd get the exact same thing again. Zero comfort issues, and I don't notice the weight of the steel. My biggest problem is making sure I keep my weight distributed. I tend to favor my right leg for support, and it screws my hips up after I'm out of the tree.

I use tree gaffs, but I'd be interested in a hybrid gaff. Get something between pole and tree length.

John, these are production climbers (im assuming for the guys i don't know well), who are in spurs all day every day. My steel Buckingham w caddies are fine as well, but there's a higher grade for the guys who do it all the time if they wanna drop the cash. Spurs are not natural to wear, and can really beat the crap out of your legs no matter what they are, so sometimes the smallest differences are huge.

My experience as well. Though it might be a few more years than that :).

Took a bit of hand work to fit the caddie pads, but it was simple and minor.

Yes, ditto on fitting the Caddies to Bash lins even though sales info says they don't fit.

Anyone buying Bashlins, be careful - there is a straight climber shank and a curved one. The curved one goes around my ankle bone perfectly and seems to never touch it.

If anyone loves the straights, I have a pair to sell.

One word...

Caddies.

Must admit. They were not for me either. Saying that I don’t like Gecko’s full stop.

Bashlin Alloys for me.

I actually have a pair of old bashlins. I will try to get a set of caddy’s for them.
They’re aluminum? Not super common, but Bashlin does make steel climbers too.
Someone gave me my Bashlin aluminums and I swapped the pole gaff points for new tree gaffs. Didn’t realize how expensive they are new. Worth every penny.
Mine are the straight ones but the stirrup or part your arch sits on is offset, I love em.

Might take a little fine tuning. Type of pad, type of boot, properly adjusted height, and straps not too tight are all gonna affect comfort and functionality.

I’m sold on the La Sportiva Makalus and Karakorum mountaineering boots for spur climbing. A lot of the reviews for these boots are from linemen that are standing on spurs all day. I really can’t speak highly enough about them, I’m done with lineman and logger boots.

Also invest in the Buckingham Velcro lower straps, they’re excellent.

I want a heavy duty Velcro upper strap. Not the big Velcro wrap pad, but just a 1” or 1.25” Velcro cinch strap that ain’t gonna fall apart.

Back