Rethinking positioning lanyards

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 5K
Does anyone see the practicallity for using one of those small prussiks on your lanyard???? Am I missing something here???
If you are missing something, then I also am missing the same thing. I dont care for this method but for different reasons. Pitch is a big deal with my business, and prussik cords on flip lines only work for a bit, and then stick.
I use stuff which will work in any kind of tree, in any kind of weather.
It amazes me when I see pix of guys daily gear and it looks so clean. Maybe I should move to a different area?

I will probaly get the same cold shoulder reaction here but I don't care. I just don't see what is so great about this.

Why would you here? Its NOT the buzz which has a whole population of folks who like to nitpick.

Let the stoning begin

Wheres my rock?!!!:D:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The additional prussik is like anything else. If you are comfortable with it, you will use it. I tend to agree that it doesnt really fit my climbing style either. But I have watched the author use it day in and day out and to him it is not a nuisance, but rather an additional tool in the tool bag. Nothing wrong with having another trick up your sleave is there? Speedwise- Im sure its much faster to choke onto a limb srt with that set up vs. getting out a loop runner and choking that to the limb then connecting into that.
When the additional prussik is not in use, it is simply "parked" near the bury of the splice on the lanyard with the loose end captured inside the biner. Completely out of the way as your adjuster whether it be hitch cord or mechanical does not advance up and over the bury of the splice anyway.

Regarding pitch, its not a problem at all here unless you get into a bunch of evergreens which is not all that common. Id guess 95% percent of the work I do is on deciduous trees where pitch build up is not a problem. Ive tried many types of adjuster for my lanyard; gibbs, microcender, art positioner, trango and even a grillion. For me, hitch cord is the only way to fly, but thats not to say any other way is wrong, just my preference.

and Ax-man!!

if I ever see you in person........

:D:lol::P

kidding of course! :)

I dont think the intent of this method is to come across as THE best method.
Like everything else in our business- what works for me or the next guy, may not for you, and honestly there is nothing wrong with that. But everyone of us likes to have as many options available to make our jobs just a little easier. And Im sure even YOU will agree with that!!

No stone throwing here my friend.

Thank you all for the comments! The article was written as a quick introduction to the SRT lanyard. It certainly does not cover the pros and cons of each configuration. I use this technique so often (multiple times in one tree) that I find the small lanyard prusik much faster to deploy and re-stow than choking with a looprunner. How much faster? Probably not much, but it's how I do most of my SRT'ing. The small lanyard prusik is not always the appropriate tool, hence the other highlighted methods of attachment.

Top,

Yes, I will agree 100% that a climber needs to try as many options and different methods as he or she can find to improve their climbing skills and to make an ardious job and sometimes aggrivatting job as pleasant as possible. Then it is up to the individual to either use the new method or discard it like you said.

With that said let's get back to the small prussik.

Stowing the prussik in the manner that has been described then I will agree that it is faster and could even be easier that the loop runner method.

Again, I differ from the author as I don't use a biner for attachment of the lanyard end. I have gone the biner route on the end of a lanyard and went back to a snap. To me it is much easier using a snap verses the biner. The biner felt awkward in both motions of attaching and removing it from the side d ring. Without unpacking my gear I don't think the loop end of the prussik stowed inside of a sanp would work as well as it would with a biner.

In all fairness to the author I think the use of the small prussik is a brillant idea. It side steps and avoids many issues of the evils of side loading a biner or a snap if you were to choke it around a limb. If I have come on a little strong on this subject that wasn't my intention at all.

Frans, you do need to move. The trees are much cleaner east of the Misssisloppy River:P . I have noticed this about using a mechanical adjuster as the preferred adjuster for the left coast crowd, others have made that same comment about pitch locking up a cord. Also I noticed in the GRCS vid the climber was using a Gibbs. Was that shot out in California??? I used my Gibbs with 3 strand last fall for a pine removal last fall to spare my good lanyard from the dreaded pitch. No thanks. I"ll stick with my FP.

Top,

Again, I differ from the author as I don't use a biner for attachment of the lanyard end. I have gone the biner route on the end of a lanyard and went back to a snap. To me it is much easier using a snap verses the biner. The biner felt awkward in both motions of attaching and removing it from the side d ring. Without unpacking my gear I don't think the loop end of the prussik stowed inside of a sanp would work as well as it would with a biner.

In all fairness to the author I think the use of the small prussik is a brillant idea. It side steps and avoids many issues of the evils of side loading a biner or a snap if you were to choke it around a limb. If I have come on a little strong on this subject that wasn't my intention at all.

I too prefer a snap for my lanyard, and agree that the small prussik wouldnt stow as well vs using a biner.
I also agree the small prussik does eliminate the potential issue of biner side loading, and thats why I think some climbers are using this method.

I dont think you came off overly strong, you were just sharing your opinion and thats what these forums are for right?

Right :thumbup: That is what these forums are all about to help one other and learn from each other.

I'd split your quote up Top but I still haven't quite gotten the hang of how to do it the same way as you guys do it. Let's not go there I'll figure it out, some day.

Ha- I dont split qoutes either.

Too technical for me!

THINKING makes my head hurt. I prefer to just muddle along and pretend to know what I'm doing. Much easier.

There you go with those technical terms again.....

:lol:

Stealin code is neigh onto horse thievin round these parts.

Is that the original oxman from the first ISA forum that knew Pete Donzelli with a master degre in engineering?

Nice post hollywood! Welcome to the treehouse!:O

Back