Lanyards

BlackBikeDave

Treehouser
Hey Forum, My first post.
I started climbing last summer and I have a rope logic wire core flip line. Works great. I have been interested in adding a 2nd rope lanyard. I see a lot of guys using TriTec rope.
Any opinions on it and also how do you feel about the double ended laynard with the 2 way prussik?
In my newbie status it looks like the best thing to have as from what I can tell it gives you great flexability to tie in from either side(as a 2nd flip line)
Thanks

Welcome Dave! There are others here who can answer your question better. Heck, I don’t know what tri-tec is. I will look it up.

Welcome! I'm nobody, but I just use a piece of 16strand rope. Knotted on a biner on one side, and a prusik on the other. I also recently played with a very long piece of 11mm kernmantle. Not sure about that one yet. It's a lot of line to manage, and I don't know that it's better than using my tail. Need more time with it.

Hey Forum, My first post.
I started climbing last summer and I have a rope logic wire core flip line. Works great. I have been interested in adding a 2nd rope lanyard. I see a lot of guys using TriTec rope.
Any opinions on it and also how do you feel about the double ended laynard with the 2 way prussik?
In my newbie status it looks like the best thing to have as from what I can tell it gives you great flexability to tie in from either side(as a 2nd flip line)
Thanks
I've never used TriTec. I think that people like it for a not-steel-core flip line. Not sure.

I've used steel-core and standard rope lanyards for 15 years.

If you're flipping up a stem on spurs, then a stiffer, thicker lanyard is a help. For positioning work, with more primary reliance on the climbing line, less pulling on the lanyard, a thinner, lighter lanyard can be useful. Being able to change from DdRT/ MRS to SRT/ SRS and back in useful.

My climber was using a trunk-choked climbing SRT system today with a DdRT lanyard. When wanting to adjust the trunk-choked climbing system, the ability to change the lanyard to a trunk choke was very useful.

A rope wrench allows a normally-DdRT lanyard to become SRT-able quickly, as with a climbing system. '

I'm a HitchHiker/ HH2 regular. Climbing Innovations offers some HH variants.

Ive ran a 2 in 1 and hated it, DEDA lanyard works alright, I prefer to take a rope lanyard up with me and flip flop between my flipline and lanyard as needed to pass limbs, or use my climbing line on my lower D's lanyard on hip D's
climbing line functions as a long lanyard in this setup, SRT or DRT device, hitch climber, almost any adjuster works for this just fine
starting off, I would just get an ART positioner swivel, and 15ft tritech with a snap, will be a few hundred bucks but well worth it

ART with swivel positioner on 20’ of Hyperclimb rope and one spliced end with a steel biner on it to assist in throwing.

14’ (I think) steel core flip line for spar work.

Just a new, part time climber though

I've used tritech in the past, really good stuff but spendy. Durable as can be and a good bit stiffer than most ropes so you can flip it decently.
I went back to using wire cores for spur work and when it came time to replace the tritech I went with the Yale r.i.n.g. It's a little thinner and not as stiff but works really well for spikeless climbing.
I fooled around with a double ended lanyard for about 2 minutes once and found it to be much more akward than just having a second system.
Usually I'll use my climbing system as my secondary but on a tree where you're passing a million limbs on the way up (ie spruce or hemlock) the rope lanyard in conjunction with the wire core can be a little faster. Probably due to snaps vs carabiners.
More useful than a 2 way I think is having the ability to run the lanyard as a single leg (usually choked) and a mini double rope setup. A hitch climber type pulley or pinto where you can clip back in to itself is nice. There's a few mechanicals that do this as well.

A less expensive option but still offering long wear and stiffness for flipping could be KMIII. I like it, anyway.

One problem with double headed lanyards...I tried them and found this to make them very frustrating for me anyway...I'd often as not use most of the lanyard length even with a quite long one, and then have nothing much to work with for the other end. I am far better off with 2 separate longish lanyards (cable core and/or rope).

Last thought, beware thinner lanyards. Anything less than 1/2 inch will pretty soon tire your hands and become uncomfortable to use, especially if flipping it. 11mm can be OK but absolutely nothing under that, is my opinion.

Last edited:
here would be my preferred system

Double ended w prussik ... is junk imo
S
Last thought, beware thinner lanyards. Anything less than 1/2 inch will pretty soon tire your hands and become uncomfortable to use, especially if flipping it. 11mm can be OK but absolutely nothing under that, is my opinion.
Particularly on vertical stems... angling stems, less so.

I climbed on 1/2", cheaper fliplines for a long time. Moved to 5/8" a handful+ of years ago. I'd like a 3/4" treemaster 3-strand or braided rope cable- core flipline... maybe my next one.

I really don't like my rope grab. It's just a huge hassle to use. I can appreciate that they work in pitch, but I might be done with mine aside from that. I fitted a prusik system to my wirecore, and I'm looking forward to giving it a run.

Tri Tech is by far the best lanyard rope I’ve ever used, much more durable than any climb line I have ever had. I do wish they made Tri Tech in a brighter color.
Must be something about the fibers. The Yale version is the same way. Blends in perfectly on most trees.

Last edited:
I made up my own 5/8” and 3/4”three strand lanyards for years (1978 to 1991): adjustable with a ramshead ‘prussik’ built in, snap spliced in one end and running loose on the adjustable end. Have had many other configurations too and still enjoy the rope grabs over the eye-to-eye prussics .

I really don't like my rope grab. It's just a huge hassle to use. I can appreciate that they work in pitch, but I might be done with mine aside from that. I fitted a prusik system to my wirecore, and I'm looking forward to giving it a run.
They certainly are not all created equal. Which rope grab are you disliking, @lxskllr?

ClimbRight. It just doesn't move nice. You can't let it out under tension of course, but it's also hard to draw in. Takes more effort than I'd prefer.

Back