Retention lines and side leaners

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes it was

ny3utaqa.jpg

4a6uja5e.jpg

mobile...

Or at least only used when there is a reason for it.

Pretty sure he had a face in it... looked like there wasn't much to face on the far side, due to the split. I like this video a lot because it shows something unexpected... any time something unexpected happens there is something to learn. In this case looks like the damage from the rip caused enough weakness in the grain to make the bbc weaker than the hinge.. could have been a bad cut too..

What lessons did you take from this Nick?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am going to edit the video and type up an analysis soon.

There definitely was a face in it and I think it would have barber chaired no matter what.

e5yme4eh.jpg

The audio that you hear is me talking as it was happening. Dwayne was quite a distance away running the pull off of the GRCS. He was able to hear me easily since we were using the helmet intercom systems from rope tek.

mobile...

Too much hinge. Bore it out right up until there is only enough hinge to get it started in the right direction. A standard bore cut, thin hinge should have been sufficient for that tree.

Having seen the completed vid (Thanks Nick), I think the stepped backcut caused the barber chair.Maybe if the offset had been alot less then it may not have occurred. With the retention line in place a normal backcut with a nice thick hinge would have worked. That tree was only going one way! Good work Nick!

That's one of those situations where the retainer line insures that nothing can go wrong and its good to chage some things up and see what happens... after 10,000 hours you might start to get the idea..

Back