Remember the Timber Wars?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is it at least better these days for the private land owners to be able to cut some of the timber on their lands? I'm sure that they can't cut old growth, unless it's a special case?

Simpson Lumber has also closed down if I'm not mistaken. Boy it must be really hard to make a living as a logger these days in Humboldt County.

The first thing I saw on Facebook yesterday was a post from a local news group with a pic of Jerry after having cut down a large old growth in Gualala in 1990. The caption was "Gualala 1990, from the Anderson Valley Advertiser" (a local newspaper). After admiring the pic I told Jerry to hang on, this might get ugly, since we currently have ongoing protests in Jackson State Forest. The current protests actually crack me up because many of the protesters are the very same people who were there in the 70's, chaining themselves to logging trucks and trees and marching through the woods topless. Now they are walking with canes and some in wheelchairs, still chaining up to what they call old growth but is actually 2nd and 3rd growth. They didn't like Jerry in the 70's, and I guess they still don't. Within an hour of the facebook post it started. We were told we should be ashamed of ourselves.....That Jerry didn't know how to cut a tree.....That Jerry is a main contributor to the pillaging that led to climate change.......I don't ever, and will not engage with these people, it's useless. Within a few minutes the news site took down all the derogatory remarks. I have to say, though, it makes me a little nervous, you never know what some people will do. We have purposely stayed out of the current protest, back in the 70's they hated Jerry and he was a target. I think he still is.

Not sure if that's funny or sad, but it's cool seeing an old pic of Jerry popup.

I have to question why the local news site even posted the pic? What was their purpose? The current protests are big in the local news right now, they had to have known that pic is controversial right now, yet they didn't waste time taking down the haters posts. :?

Couldn't say. All that's pretty foreign to me. Jerry's an icon though. If I were writing an article on west coast logging, Jerry would be my first choice for an article image.

What are they protesting against, Terri?
There is no more old growth being cut.

Are they simply stupid enough to be against ANY tree being cut, while happily wiping their butts with toilet paper.

That's it, Stig. And they live in wood houses in the forest and complain about the state not doing enough to prevent fires. Jackson State Forest was set up by the state to support itself with timber harvest plans that go way back. The old growth in JSF was cut before JSF belonged to the state. The current harvest plan being protested goes back 50 years, to thin and clean up the forest. It is now in limbo, in court for who knows how long while local protesters have latched on to outside environmental groups to support their cause. They are demanding NO trees be cut. At the same time, they are demanding JSF clean up the forest to prevent fires. Nothing has changed here since the timber wars of the 70's, except the protesters are old now.

Guess they all need something in their lives to be passionate about.
You should turn them on to global warming or all the poor muslims drowning while trying to invade Europe or something.

Better yet, get them a Swiss wife :)

One of your apprentices told me friday: I can't believe a guy your age can just spur up those trees like that.

Meanwhile my bum knee is killing me!

Ha!
I really need that old Nuke The Gay Whales For Christ bumper sticker my buddy made back in yhe day.

When I taught karate at the Walley west center in Arcata, me and the other instructor would go hang out in the hottub after practice.
Unfortunately the hottub was next to the basin, where they had "water aerobics".
"Work outs" for those who are too fat to do it on dry land.
T'was not nice to watch.
I told my buddy, that on my last day there, I'd bring a sign saying:" End the ban on whale hunting!"

Back