Question - Amsteel Blue

They can be tied fine, but you'll kill the tensile strength of the rope, down to the point where it'd make more sense to just use a poly rope. They are also prone to creep due to it's slippery nature.

I have a splice in one end...then use a double bowline on a bight on the other. Knots could get welded if you taint careful;)

You can use a porty and lock it off just fine. Technically that may be a knot, but knot in the traditional sense.

What are you thinking about? In some applications you can add wraps or other friction makers to make knotting a possibility.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmmmm. I see. I could still use it for that. I've an employer that swears by cable for pulling, I'm tired of dealing with all that weight. I'll set a pulley and a groundie will pull it up to me. Amsteel seems like a much (though expensive and {chainsaw} delicate) alternative.

Amsteel is fairly close to the same strength for the same diameter of steel, but 7 times lighter.

I have a 1/2" rope with a 3/8" core (cover protects core) that is good for 21-22klbs, no stretch, like cable. Also, if it happens to break, it simply falls to the ground, not slingshotting back at lethal speeds.

Never broke that line, have broke Black Widow (1/4" Amsteel), but not doing tree work.

I thought black widow is kevlar? I have one, the 180' flat rope. we run the lab puppy on the beach with it.

Nope. Black widow is just renamed skinny Amsteel, made from Dyneema, which melts at 305*F or less.

Dyneema is slick, kevlar isn't as friendly to the hands.

Kinda an expensive rope to use as a dog run eh?

Butch, HMWPE lines are not for rigging in a tree. There is near zero stretch. Like Carl, I do have a double braid line with spectra core. As long as the loads are light and there's no shock loading...as in lifting or lowering a pretensioned load, it would be alright to use. Otherwise, the tree or sling/block could be shockloaded...not good.

That said, I have 600 feet of 24,000 # 1/2 inch spectra and want to sell up to half of it......$1.50 a foot...retail is about 2.50.

The only thing I use my 1/2" Validator II for is with the GRCS to pull trees over or lift big nuggets.

Kinda an expensive rope to use as a dog run eh?

we have a strong current where we take the dog, and my daughter's afraid to lose her puppy, so, she gets what she wants, I spoil that girl.:D

Attachments

• 6 01 08 002.jpg
    6 01 08 002.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 10
I have 300' of 1/2" for sale. Only used twice at ISA human zipline events.

about 1/2 price

Attachments

• Amsteel1.jpg
    Amsteel1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Amsteel2.jpg
    Amsteel2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 7
pfsstttt... :whine:

Yo Dave...I offered mine first.....:/:

same stuff, but PSRopes........

Actually, I've offered it several times on a few boards.....

oops, sorry. Samson Donated this to our local ISA chapter at the 06 convention in Mpls. no takers on this here either ~ spendy stuff even at 1/2 price

Back