Question - Amsteel Blue

Here's an article showing a 60% strengh LOSS using Endura Braid from NER. The difference here would be the cover increases the bend radius, Amsteel, not having a cover, would loose more, figure 70% loss.

http://www.neropes.com/Resources/sail_reprint.pdf

Note, they tie their bowline incorrectly by our standards, but this has no effect on strength.

Note, information added to post 39 to clarify my point that 1/2 Amsteel is about as strong" as 9/16"-5/8" Stable braid.

Sweet link Carl. Those are the numbers I was looking for. Now I can go to bed. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

So, if the 1/2" A.S. Blue is rated for 34,000lbs and I take away 70%, I'm still good for 10,200lbs.--Yeah? Granted I'm not shock loading it.

So, if the 1/2" A.S. Blue is rated for 34,000lbs and I take away 70%, I'm still good for 10,200lbs.--

Which is 200 lbs less than the strength of 1/2 stable braid, which is about 1/3 the price and is stretchy enough to absorb a shock load.

I can backup Carl's info on breaking strength of a high modulus line due to knots. Howard Wright, the lead rope engineer at Samson, told me I could expect up to 90% strength loss if the knot was set hard and suddenly.

Another problem this line that nobody has mentioned yet is poor abrasion resistance. It is braided pretty loosely, so it's easy to pull a strand out by accident.

200lbs less than 1/2 Stable Braid w/o the knot.

Not dressing and setting the knot means when it's shock loaded it sets quickly with alot of friction. Friction=heat and we alread discussed the low melting point which leads to the 90% reduction.

So my amsteel which is rated at 30,000 Lb at your presented figures say 70 percent less, Would be 9000 or so rated say as a timber hitch holding a porty to the spliced eye. So on a 10 percent shock safety value... 900 lbs.. Should work for me then.. I rarely lower anything that big and I would just have to watch for normal wear (abrasion and such). I hope that's right... Because that's all I use it for... Just to hold the porty to the tree or a come along anchor to a tree as such.

Someone needs to start threading amsteel through some 1/2" stable braid for a bad ash lifting line with some abrasion resistance. just my .02

Amsteel II is the most common form of this. Polyester double braid cover with a high modulus core. The problem is that it is pretty expensive. 5/8" x 150' costs about $500.

Unless you are using it for logging, the 1/2" is definitely the way to go. I got a couple guys around here that use the 5/8" for high lead logging. It's probably even overkill for that, but they seem to like it.

I used to climb to set chokers for a guy who did lot clearing. I would hang 1 off the back of my saddle and tie another 2 to the end of my climbing line. then I would traverse from one tree to the next until I was out of chokers. Because they were steel I was carrying about 50 lbs. Rope chokers would have weighed maybe 10 lbs.

Yup when I rigged spars I'd climb with two 1/2" guylines attached to my belt and then a rope which had the third guyline on one end and the block on the other end. That way I could rig a tree by myself in one climb. I had it down to a science everything coiled just right so no tangles, let me tell ya from about 30' up it was a real chore. Nothing like pulling a tommy morr(sp?) with a big ass strap up between your legs, cradling it on your lap and getting that strap wrapped and bell seated. Of course when I had a helper I'd just carry a snatchblock up with me and make the lacky pull everything up, so much easier.

I love it when I'm up there having a nice little break while my groundie is grunting and straining trying to pull the 460 up through the branches. That little snatchblock and handline are the biggest labor saving tools I've bought in a good long while. :lol:

Amsteel II is the most common form of this. Polyester double braid cover with a high modulus core. The problem is that it is pretty expensive. 5/8" x 150' costs about $500.

Damn that IS pricey!

Hey LJ,

Is Validator II spliced the same way as a conventional double braid? I would assume so, but just not sure.

Meh, splice it with a locking brumnel and a decently long bury. We (Nick) slid a kernmantle's cover (from Pantheraba) over the exposed core to protect it.

The cover does next to nothing for the strength.

That's where my supplier is golden......my 9/16th cost me 1.12 a foot....maybe 1.20 this last time, I'd have to look.....

Broke my old rope Tuesday. We were trying to yard a 50 foot middle log of a 160 foot fir that scaled out at 2700 feet. Self loader couldn't budge it, with chains....so we put a block on the log, and tied off the line to his grapple (end of line to a tree).....around a round section but with coupla 90 degree edges.....I forgot I had a portawrap with me...woulda saved the old rope, which broke clean. Had to pay $400 for a track hoe to come in yesterday....

Considering the fir market is the worst and lowest its ever been, I won't make much from that load....it was close to 3000 board feet....

Hope the first load was 4500 bf......

(video's on youtube of some of the tree work) youtube.com/rbtree

Back