Project Muscle Truck (again!)

im aware that al was grossed, aware enough for me when that happens to a sailor;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty bummed out right now... catastrophic failure of a rod bearing in the truck... I have built countless small block Chevy's and never had this happen... Either I overlooked something, or it was just a one in a million that the bearing was defective... not sure at this point.

Engine has to come back out. Hopefully caught it in time to only have the crank turned, and new bearings. Need to check the oil pump to make sure there is no trash in it. Not even 200 miles on the engine...

This could have not come at a worse time... I am scraping for cash as it is dealing with the bullshit I'm goin' through with lawyers with me ex-wife... This isn't gonna be super expensive, but it ain't gonna be cheap either... plus the time I have to put back in... X-mas right around the corner too... Holy cats...

When it rains it pours...

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any...

This sucks... :( I'll keep you guys posted.

Gary

Damn, Gary. That sucks. :(

And I understand about the money thing, it's tight for all of us right now. Perhaps it might not be a bad idea to just set it aside until after the holidays, then address it with a fresh start in the new year.

But however you address it, I just hope it's not too much damage.

I have given some serious thought to that Brian... just to kinda "forget it" for a spell, and do it after all the shit blows over and wait for after X-mas...

But I need a truck, and a second vehicle. I am in the mindframe to "get it done" right now... so I might go with it.

My girls and I were out for a drive in it last night when it started knockin'. I knew what it was and limped it home... I was pretty bummed out, and the girls were tryin' to console me on it. My oldest had tears in her eyes and told me it would be okay. God bless her... she said to me, "Dad... it's okay, we can skip X-mas in December this year, and do it later..." Chokes me up just typing it...

Gary

Well... it is what it is mang... whether it was my mistake or a defective product... I still gotta fix it.

Needed to vent a little... I'll have it back on the road... :)

Gary

Bum Deal, Gary.

Hope the engine's not a complete wash, Sounds you know what you're doing.

Sound's like your girls' love for you is priceless, too.

New crank and rods = STROKER

Just trying to cheer ya up with the possibilities.

Good kids Gary, really good kids!!! Lots to be thankful for there!

I went through this few years ago. Neighbor kid had a Camero he was putting motor after motor in. 383's. Kept spinning bearings in it.
I told him his builder was a moron after the fourth oneand I built the fith. I went throught this thing with a finetooth comb!! Mikedand plastigauged EVERYTHING that I could!
I tuned it out and had it running good. I go with the adage "break it in like you are going to run it" but he wouldn't stick his foot in it. I took it out and roasted it out, run it hard!
Three weeks later had a knock to it!
I don't know if it was bad bearings, Clevite, or crap in the crank from being turned, I honestly don't know.
Doesn't help much, but it's not just you.

Thanks you'se guys...

yeah my girls are pretty special... :love: They are my world and my happiness...

I hear ya Andy... it happens. I have had other things happen after a rebuild, but nothing this major. Everybody I know that has built their fair share has had something along this line happen to them sooner or later... mine was just later...

The "Muscle Truck" will live... I promise ya!

Gary

Sorry G. You'll kick this in the ass like you do everything else. And then give it time, and it'll be something you sit down with someone over a beer and say, "dammit to hell, one time I built this motor, had less than 200 miles on it and....."

You'll get it up and runnin' again.

Take care of them girls mang. They're takin' care of you.

I just bought a chevy 283 and am seeking timing specs for it. Anyone know?

Hey, sorry to hear about your truck, Gary.

Back