Boats

Burnham

Woods walker
Bermy and I got off on a tangent over in the Tropical Trees thread, and she suggested a new thread to take up the subject...a good idea, too. Here's some of the posts from there:

Awesome...messin' around in boats is what we like to do for fun, combined with fishing and/or camping and/or hiking...

Absolutely. I may even bite off building my own...been looking for quite a few years at a drop dead simple pilothouse power dory design that carries an aux. sail system. 45 feet on deck, 10 foot beam, draws 3.5 feet, power requirement is really low at 10 to 15 hp inboard diesel.

Or maybe buy one of the many ex-troller fishboats now converted to cruisers, available here in the PNW US and Canada for quite reasonable prices.

Neither, Stig :).

Moorage on the Columbia River would give me relatively close access westward to the Pacific Ocean and onward north to Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands, BC and Alaska, or south to Mexico and Central America; or east on the Columbia and Snake River systems, or south on the Willamette...all served by locks.

An alternative would be to maintain moorage on Tillamook Bay, on the coast due west from here...a three hour drive, but that offers the advantage of also providing a vacation livaboard situation at the beach.

Yes its wealthy, but the economics are hitting here as much as anywhere.

We have a mold for the latest dinghy my hubby built, it will probably be good for 50 or so hulls, people RAVED over his design when it came out, but you try and get someone to put a down payment so you can buy materials!
We reckoned there was an immediate market of about 10 hulls, there is but no-one is spending any money.
The basic unfinished hull would run about $5-6000, then go from there with the kind of finish you want, wood seats, trim, integral seats, storage etc, etc...
This boat rows, sails and motors all equally well. Shaw and Tenney 14' oars, gets her going at about 5 knots, modified sunfish rig (our design) sails like a charm, and that 9.9 four stroke pushes her at about 14 knots with two full sized people and gear.
There is one other guy who builds boats and he's the wooden expert, I don't thnk he's built a boat for 8 yrs or more, the last ones he built were dories for the sail training sloop, and they never get used. He truly is a craftsman.

Burnham, sound like you've got your eye on the prize...beamy boat for its length, that'll make it nice and stable!
You need that pilot house in your neck of the woods hey!

Ok, NOW we really need to start another thread...this one is seriously happily derailed!

Actually, with an waterline length of a smidge under 45 feet and a waterline beam of 7.5 feet, this design is quite slim by most standards...she only assumes 10 feet of beam on deck. That's why she can get away with such low power requirements...a displacement speed hull and skinny :). It only takes 6.5 hp to move her at 8 knots, in calm conditions...for a range of over 2500 miles on 100 gallons of diesel.

If you want to look at her more closely Fi, here's a link to the designer's pages of particulars, with some drawings. There's a open cockpit model that would suit your home seas quite nicely :).

http://www.georgebuehler.com/Pilgrim.html

That looks like a nice project. Do you think it has a pretty hard chine? I may be Leary of some serious bumps in rough water. I have made a plywood flat bottom skiff a time or two and they are relatively cheap and easy. But only used on the inland waters. I guess it is all dependent on your sailing adventures.

Oh and I like the open cabin version myself.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, hard chine for sure. The difference is speed...displacement speeds don't put the pounding to a hull that higher speeds will.

In the PNW, a pilothouse is nearly a requirement.

Back