Project Bay Boat

• Thread starter fishhuntcutwood
  • Start date
  • Replies 126
  • Views 12K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh by the way, the motor shit itself tonight, so I'm off the water for a while now!

Time to repower I think.....

YM-V175.jpg

On plane, running 5k, motor sounded like it revved, I lost power, checked my tach and it was down to 4k, then down to 3700. Came off plane, motor sounded bad...running but rattling. Then it died. Whole incident took maybe 3-5. Tried to start (yes took it out of gear) and just a heavy "thud" from the starter.

Got towed back (thank God for towing insurrance...would've been a $622 bill, and was $0) pulled the cowling and no tell-tale signs of damage, so it's all internal.

My remote oil reservoir seems to have not dropped in level like it should have over the last two days, and the main reservoir on the engine is full, so I think my oil injection may have failed, and I seized the engine, either on the cylinder wall, or at the crank. Either way, bad. Or I may have lost a rod, in which case, that cylinder is scored beyond belief.

A rebuild will start at $3k, and that's if I don't need a new powerhead and crank. I want to keep this boat litterally until I'm an old man, so a repower would be cost-effective, as it'd have warrantee, and I'd be the one to take care of it from zero hours. I've come to find out the previous owner may not have taken "awesome" care of the motor. He fogged it every winter, but I don't think ever decarbbed it or even changed the fuel/water separator.

Want me to check around on my fishing forum for a replacement motor? There's several dealer types and boat builders on the site. And many people seem to think vehicles and motors are cheaper down here.

See what you can find man. I'm still in the early shopping phases.

Sorry Bro! That sucks!
If you were closer I'd rebuild it for you, not like I got much going on. But I think shipping would be a bit high!:lol:

That sucks.

Jeff I bought my TR1 auto pilot and T8 yammy trolling motor from these folks.
http://www.wonderlandmarinewest.com/Outboard%20motors.html
Howell isn't that far for you, might check price and see how competitive they are.

There are a lot of Marina's/Dealers all the way from Port Huron to Lake Erie. Time to see how bad someone wants to sell a motor. Grand Haven/Grand Rapids has some large dealers too.

Also if you want to put it on yourself let me know. You could bring it here(Lansing area) and we could use my loader to take the old one off and put the new one on.

Just a thought.

Wally

That sucks.

Jeff I bought my TR1 auto pilot and T8 yammy trolling motor from these folks.
http://www.wonderlandmarinewest.com/Outboard%20motors.html
Howell isn't that far for you, might check price and see how competitive they are.

There are a lot of Marina's/Dealers all the way from Port Huron to Lake Erie. Time to see how bad someone wants to sell a motor. Grand Haven/Grand Rapids has some large dealers too.

Also if you want to put it on yourself let me know. You could bring it here(Lansing area) and we could use my loader to take the old one off and put the new one on.

Just a thought.

Wally

Aw heck, I forgot you were in MI. Yeah, Wonderland is on my list. There's also a Ranger/Yamaha dealer in Kalamazoo that is supposed to be top notch. And I've got a Yamaha dealer just down the road from my house, like six blocks away. I've got a couple of professional bass fishing buddies that know the reps and such, and they're going to look into what they can get. Sadly, I'm not a negotiator, but I'll shop around for sure.

Thanks for the offer on hanging it. I've got a big overhead crane at work, but I think the problem with doing it myself (just from what I've read on the bass boat forums) is warrantee. Hanging a brand new motor by yourself pretty much voids every inch of warrantee on the thing. If I was buying used, it'd be a different story.

That's a tough one Jeff. Would a new motor have any updates that would be benefical?

Yeah, it'll be a whole new model. Largely the same as what I have, but a new injection system. Also forged pistons and the typical upgrades you'd expect to see going from an 01 engine to an 09.

I may even switch to a four stroke. Kinda don't want to, but it may not be a bad idea. It'll cost more.

If you shop around you might just find a boat for sale with a suitable motor cheaper than buying just a motor. Motors are pricey all by themselves but for some reason once you put them on a boat then they get cheaper.

Id go with a 4 stroke!

If you stick with a 2 stroke, check out the new Evinrude Etecs. Supposed to be the cat's ass.

I'm a Yamaha guy!

I really shy away from BRP after I've seen how they treat their customers. The ETecs are a love it or hate it type of thing. There's not much in the middle. I think most owners like them, but I think they like what they're told about them, which is 95% marketing. They're kinda between a two stroke and a four stroke, and in the commercial, they compare the E Tec with a two stroke when it suits them, and a four stroke when it suits them, making them look like the ultimate motor, when in reality, they're just a motor. They're not really the marvel of engineering the half hour info-mercials make them out to be.

I'm leaning towards the four stroke. for alot of reasons, but it looks like the four. I'm going to call Ranger in the morning and get their .02.

Well it looks like you have the same thoughts on the BRP I have.

The 4Stroke Yamaha would be hard to beat. Hopefully the controls would be an easy switch, and not need to drill a bunch of new holes in the transom.

Nah, piece of cake. All the controls come through a dedicated port over the back of the transom, inboard. I think my gauges and throttle should work. I'm still in the "figuring things out" stage right now.

Here you can see above the Power Pole bracket, inboard in front of the motor where the control bundle run into the boat, so I wouldn't need to drill anything or make any holes.

Attachments

• P4190002.JPG
    P4190002.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 52
Well here we are. Pulled the heads tonight and BAM!!!

Is this bad? :lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• P5060009.JPG
    P5060009.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 44
  • P5060010.JPG
    P5060010.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P5060013.JPG
    P5060013.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 43
Back