Porty

tnh21

TreeHouser
I am looking to purchase a port-a-wrap, the stainless steel I like so far. Any input on the nickel or powder porty's from Treestuff?

Do you know anyone who can fabricate one for you?

Attachments

• porty 2.jpg
    porty 2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 106
  • porty.JPG
    porty.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 110
I have the Nickel one sold by Treestuff. Its my 'sidework' one. The company bought us a new Stainless one from Sherrill last summer, with the round 'tree friendly' cap. I dont see a difference in function between them. I dont know about the pros or cons of nickel vs stainless persay, but neither have any corrosion on them and are both shiny.

A porty is a porty. I would recommend, as Butch suggests, to find yourself a good welder who could likely fab one up for you for 1/3 the cost. Pretty simple design, but you would probably not have any SWL stamps on it!!

We used to have a mini one that we used all the time. I loved it for 1/2" lines mainly lowering branches and smaller wood. For the bigger wood we just break out the HOBBS. Well we lost the mini and I just bought the medium sized porty. For around a $100, I'll save the time and energy in trying to put together a home made version.

jp:D

I've had a medium nickel porty for ages...its still loking good, even in a very high salt environment, very, very little corrosion
And a large one for about two years, still fine, you can't go wrong with either.

image.jpg

I bought Old Faithful back in the mid 90's. powder coat is mostly wore off. Not sure why the trend to nickel plated or stainless, cause it doesn't seem to rust.

Sailors Hook!!!! That's my kind of porty. I have one of those still myself, and big new style porty.

I usually tell the groundie to go fetch the boat anchor!
I help a buddy once in awhile who has one of the newer generation ones, and honestly I like the simple old design better.

I do too. Love my old sailors hook. I don't get the chance to be on the operating end of it but I find my groundmen get cozy and confident with it quickly.

I have Small, Medium and Large steel portys Stehansen made for me. They all three rock. Each one has it's place in my kit. The large one was lowering 8-900 # chunks of ponderosa pine last week on 9/16ths rope. No problemo.... The little guy goes up the tree pretty often for a controlled drift. Medium as well. If I need more bollard, I take the KK. I have done 1200# with the large porty and a wrap around the tree...

I have never felt like the porty has a 'limit'...if the rope holds the porty certainly will. I am looking forward to trying the Stein RC2000 floating bollard. I ordered it with my Treestuff winnings.

16674d1245713443-lowering-device-project-rc2000-006.jpg

I just wish they were fatter, to help preserve the rope... at least the diameter of a soup can, or even more.

I have never felt like the porty has a 'limit'...if the rope holds the porty certainly will.

It does have a limit, Nick.

But to be fair, the rope did break.

It was an 18 ton dyneema line and we were using the porty to anchor the rope to a VERY large forwarder on a pull job.

The apprentice and the forwarder driver had a miscommunication error:lol:

I'm presently having one buildt in size XXX-large, to use on pull jobs only.

P1010906.JPG P1010907.JPG

Hey guys this will be my first post on Treehouse. I have the large Port a Wrap that I earned from a customer who got ripped off by a fly by night tree guy. I haven't used it much but would like to use it more. It is definitely corroded around where you would make your first wrap. When I have used it I noticed my ground guys not needing to make more than a wrap. Is this caused by the extra friction that the corrosion/rust is creating? If so what is the best way to fix the problem?

Also I have thought of using it to pull but haven't played with it there yet. Any recommendations or youtube videos would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Mark

Usually one wrap is all that's necessary for smaller loads, especially if you're natural crotch rigging. It would be interesting to see the corrosion on your porty. Post a picture, if you can.

In terms of pulling the porty is very good for capturing your progress and locking off the load, but doesn't play any part in the actual pulling itself.

Usually one wrap is all that's necessary for smaller loads, especially if you're natural crotch rigging. It would be interesting to see the corrosion on your porty. Post a picture, if you can.

In terms of pulling the porty is very good for capturing your progress and locking off the load, but doesn't play any part in the actual pulling itself.

Will get one in the morning. Thanks

Makes it so you don't have a knot to cut off the end of your rope though after the pull :D

Ah so just add a pulley or two for mechanical advantage and then back to the Porty instead taking thirty minutes to infinity to untie the not! I have never done that before: blushing! Thanks for responding I am learning something already :)

Welcome ClimbMIT.

Bonner, great job on winning the treestuff contest, so glad you pulled the trigger and got The Stein. Nice.

Back