Porty

I cant wait for it to get here, I am going to be splicing up a 3/4" double braid dead eye sling for it this week, so that should be interesting.

Welcome, CimbMIT, my name is Nick. Whats yours?

*spoiler*
There is going to be another Treestuff contest in the coming months, photo oriented....

Photo oriented:?

Cool!

Nick, The Stein is made for heavy loads... It's easy to put too much wrap on, and lock it up. Minimal wrap on anything but heavy wood. You'll be fine, I won't worry.

I cant wait for it to get here, I am going to be splicing up a 3/4" double braid dead eye sling for it this week, so that should be interesting.

*spoiler*
There is going to be another Treestuff contest in the coming months, photo oriented....

Hey Nick, My name is Mark. I have seen a couple of your videos on the Tube. Very nicely done! Thanks for the spoiler and congarts on winning the contest. You earned that win with all of your reviews another job nicely done. I am on Arborsite and Arbtalk as well with same forum name so I have probably talked to you there. I am a gear junkie and totally hooked on Treestuff so lookout I going for the win this time :) Sorry to derail the thread don't boot me I like it here.

*spoiler*

Hands down, Butch will win the photo contest. Welcome to the Treehouse Mark.

Here is my Porty that was left out in the weather for months. Another tree guy apparently was paid for taking some pines down and left some equipment there and never returned. Porty was only thing salvageable. IMG_0314.jpg IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0316.jpg

Yep, you want to remove rust with an abbrassive.... I would rather have no paint and a smooth surface (which is how they wear anyways) rather rhan a rough surface. I own the large with nickel finish, wish to purchase a mimi for in the Tree...

It does have a limit, Nick.

But to be fair, the rope did break.

It was an 18 ton dyneema line and we were using the porty to anchor the rope to a VERY large forwarder on a pull job.

The apprentice and the forwarder driver had a miscommunication error:lol:

I'm presently having one buildt in size XXX-large, to use on pull jobs only.

View attachment 47048View attachment 47049

Whoa, it caved in the pipe a little? That is some force. What kind of action was there on the line when it snapped?

I've seen more corrosion on a ....oh never mind. That porty looks easily improved with wet and dry sand paper, maybe even a cup brush on a baby grinder where it will reach.

That looks like the nickel-plated version. That appears to be only surface tarnish. I'd use it and let the rope polish it up. A dozen light loads allowed to run fairly fast and it should shine right up.

Whoa, it caved in the pipe a little? That is some force. What kind of action was there on the line when it snapped?

A huge forwarder on one end and a partially cut large beech tree on the other.

The line recoiled up into the tree.

The apprentice didn't feel like climbing back up a partially cut tree, to bring it down for another try, so that task fell to me.

I figured a tree that could break an 18 ton line and still stand, ain't gonna fall from having me climb it.

No wear and tear, Butch. Massive and instant compression.

I'm amazed that the welds held up.

Yep, Martin learned the importance of telling the driver beforehand, exactly what you want him to do when you signal, and not deviating from that:lol:

It scared the crap out of him, really. I'm just happy we had it tied in low enough that the top didn't break out of the tree. That might have killed him.

Back