Steel core anatomy

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I never paid too close attention to the steel core flip line. Looks like all its strength and ratings come from the steel cable and the rope is just something for the adjuster to grab. I’m retiring this as the rope jacket received a deadly chainsaw wound. The adjuster would start to bunch up the rope and jam since the rope is no longer anchored at each end and under tension. Correct observations?

Attachments

• IMG_8383.jpeg
    IMG_8383.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Swap ends and melt the fuzz down. Or buy a brand new sexy lanyard.
Maybe put a hose clamp on it as a stopper so the grab wouldn't get into the cut section. It would be interesting to try just to see how it behaved in use. I could see the cover moving around getting annoying.

Yup. You can even make them by splicing the wire, then rolling it in the middle of some thick 3 strand, then do a back slice thru the eye which locks it in place. :) my saw lanyard is done the same, but with shock cord stretched and stitched to provide the elastic shock absorption. I kinda messed up because i stretched it too tight so i hockled a bit, pulling a few twists out when it's at rest, but it provided so much cushion i kinda liked it so I've been rocking it ever since lol

Is your life you're playing with, ultimately.

Huck it and gets a new one.

I like the gibs klimair, though it could be thicker...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe put a hose clamp on it as a stopper so the grab wouldn't get into the cut section. It would be interesting to try just to see how it behaved in use. I could see the cover moving around getting annoying.
Yeah, I think the cover will move and bunch up even with the hose clamp just due to all the exertion.

Bartlett had replacements for $58. Our local Gap was near twice that amount (surprised as they are usually competitive). Sappy Supply was $70. Probably should have supported Jake and went with Sappy but Bartlett have been fantastic. I’m pretty sure they are still independent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What happened?
Is the cable intact?

You don't need to trash it, just downgrade it. Tape over the fuzz. Find a use. It's still good cable and eyes.
I “filleted” it. Paying attention to whether or not the chunk was going to hit the bush and the saw chain skimmed over top of the rope and cut & plucked the rope fibers.

I won’t trash it, for sure. It may come in handy for something in the future.

Yup. You can even make them by splicing the wire, then rolling it in the middle of some thick 3 strand, then do a back slice thru the eye which locks it in place. :) my saw lanyard is done the same, but with shock cord stretched and stitched to provide the elastic shock absorption. I kinda messed up because i stretched it too tight so i hockled a bit, pulling a few twists out when it's at rest, but it provided so much cushion i kinda liked it so I've been rocking it ever since lol
Do you have a weak connector?

Nope, i unclip if it's shady. The dog snaps will likely break pretty easily too, if i remember they're only good for 50 pounds.

Back