Ponderosa speedline

• Thread starter robdog
  • Start date
  • Replies 105
  • Views 9K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob,

I have to tell you.... These guys may get on your nerves when they are saying it is unsafe or whatever. Bottom line I listen to them. There are centuries of experience combined in this house. I have been asked by some if I was ok with their criticism. I said heck YA!. I have posted pics on this forum just to raise a few eyebrows and get feedback. Why? Because I want to hear what I am doing ok and what I am not. Also... Other people browse this forum. I would rather keep a new comer or a guy safe by making a phone call by sharing what we feel is a better way or safer way to do things.... This house is about constructive criticism. The people in here want to make sure you exceed at what you do, represent the finest in the industry, and above all; help you and everyone that may work for you stay safe. We can come across harsh, but we mean well as a brother hood :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
no sweat

Rob,

I have to tell you.... These guys may get on your nerves when they are saying it is unsafe or whatever. Bottom line I listen to them. There are centuries of experience combined in this house. I have been asked by some if I was ok with their criticism. I said heck YA!. I have posted pics on this forum just to raise a few eyebrows and get feedback. Why? Because I want to hear what I am doing ok and what I am not. Also... Other people browse this forum. I would rather keep a new comer or a guy safe by making a phone call by sharing what we feel is a better way or safer way to do things.... This house is about constructive criticism. The people in here want to make sure you exceed at what you do, represent the finest in the industry, and above all; help you and everyone that may work for you stay safe. We can come across harsh, but we mean well as a brother hood :)

I get that.When I do something like this speedline video and I know it is safe it bothers me when great climbers see it as unsafe.This video is just a one minute section of the removal.The whole video shows how the two climbers worked together on seperate sides of the tree,very safe. Many years of knowledge here? yes I agree or I wouldnt bother posting.No doubt that some here can get in a guys face with their posts. I am just a small tree Service owner who learns from the best and then uses my own ideas to make work easier and fun.

not cool?

When I showed this technique to the contractors in Arrowhead they were amazed.When you have a Tree where a crane cannot get to it and The tree is holding up the days work because it must be done by climbers fast this is the way. I did a demo job for CDF there and after the two man speedline of a large cedar. We then SL most of the trees they couldnt crane.About 75 trees that had to be rigged because of one demo speedline with two climbers up. I see how some climbers dont want to be put in that situation.These big contractors for edison go through sometimes hundreds of trees a day and cannot be bothered by the trees they cant crane.

My family had a cabin up in Arrowhead and Big Bear, there are a lot of really tight spots. Bass Lake up here looks a lot like it and is as tight as hell. Everytime I go up there for vacation I look at the Ponderosa right up against houses and power lines and rig them in my head ....

I would not say its "the way", just a way to do it. I am missing the speed benefit of two climbers setting rigging in a central leader stem. The exposure is higher than the reward. Two guys on a speedline rigging event in a spreading canopy tree, hell yes. Its done all the time all over the US.

Why?

If they don't hang here, that's their loss. :drink:

I ain't going to them.

I even bought your Tshirt blastah seems like you would at least visit and post one topic.....come in and talk tree climbers chat ... something! WTS is like a ghost town except on sunday nights when Oxman shows up

Taking the top out of the tree with two guys in the tree seems to be what most of us have a problem with. I think that the benefit of two men in the tree at that point, does not outweigh the danger. You could do it a hundred times successfully and it still would not make it a good idea in my book. All it takes is one time.

I even bought your Tshirt blastah seems like you would at least visit and post one topic.....come in and talk tree climbers chat ... something! WTS is like a ghost town except on sunday nights when Oxman shows up

If Oxman is the life of a forum, that's sort of telling. He has a lot of cool pictures but has never seemed all that chatty to me.

OX

If Oxman is the life of a forum, that's sort of telling. He has a lot of cool pictures but has never seemed all that chatty to me.

Havent talked to Him lately but he was great at our workshop speeding out a big cottonwood

Attachments

• OX     SPEEDLINE.jpg
    OX SPEEDLINE.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 9
I went to your forum the other night and there was 6 or 8 threads with 2-3 posts each, some of which had nothing in them when opened:roll:

I like speedlines, did one over a house today to get a big pine to the chipper.

I don't care about two guys in the tree but I did see something bothers me. When you drop a top or big wood, the speedline itself should not see ANY of the shock load. You either loosen it before cutting and tighten it once the piece is on the loadline or you catch it with the load line above the speed line and lower onto it.

I drop limbs right onto the speedline all the time but heavy wood and shock loads are hugely amplified because of the angles.

Maybe you were setup that way and I just didn't see it.

I agree

Look at the top it only weighs about 250lb or so.Two ground men picked it up and loaded it into chipper without cutting it up...... We have shock loaded much more weight than that.

wow,
i appreciate your set up, the rigging not the 2 guys
and its usefullness is so obvious
i think it seemed to be a bit much of unneeded sway, coulda run a touch smoother, just my opinion from the short vid
but do you have another angle of the shoot to show,

also what were ya runnin the top down the line on? strap and biner, pulley, did it have a haul back?

i think ya got yer arse jumped because of the 2 guys and the shock load
the 2 guys woulda been better shown doing what they do well together, not just having 1 guy go for an extra ride, so he could speedline down later,
was it that far of a walk or y'all had time to have fun too?

i dont want to be the negative guy or a d1ck so i thought i'd ask a question or 2 about your set up,
i think flinging tops down a speedline is an art of its own , so no disrespect sent to the climbers, o kay

I just watched your commercials on YouTube. It's clear that safety is not one of your main priorities. The commecial also implies that you are self-insured? Is that so?

No accidents

I just watched your commercials on YouTube. It's clear that safety is not one of your main priorities. The commecial also implies that you are self-insured? Is that so?

In 27 years.I am hired frequently for safety training as well.Here in the san Bernadino mts I do very well training climbers and crews on safety methods. Watch all the videos you want, I am safe and hundreds of climbers seek us out for this service. Sorry the video is so short,soon I may post the work on the limbing of the many tons of branches that were speed lined out. For those of us who work together it is Safe first and then very fun.The pulleys and return line pulley works great and for the amout of shock load the system was over kill. I taught the climbers and filmed this video and can say when the top hit the line it did not make the climbers loose balance or gaff out,not even close.The wood was much heavier and didnt over extend the Rope or pulleys.

Then your guys should practice what you teach. Here's the videos I was referring to. No hardhats, one-handed chainsawing, and running a chainsaw in the tree without a second tie-in. I've been known to make one handed cuts, but I would never tell anyone it's safe and I certainly wouldn't promote it in a commercial. :roll:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOEMbxey_5I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOEMbxey_5I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHbNWZ1OFXg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHbNWZ1OFXg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Then your guys should practice what you teach. Here's the videos I was referring to. No hardhats, one-handed chainsawing, and running a chainsaw in the tree without a second tie-in. I've been known to make one handed cuts, but I would never tell anyone it's safe and I certainly wouldn't promote it in a commercial. :roll:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOEMbxey_5I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOEMbxey_5I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHbNWZ1OFXg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHbNWZ1OFXg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

unbeleivable hey just dont watch them! Out of the thousands of comments I have recieved yours I will cherish the most.......

What's so unbelievable, Rob? You tout your exemplary safety record and yet you put up 2 videos with multiple safety violations. And then you get pissed off when you're called out on it. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back