Vertical speedline

There still is some friction, just a question of how much; especially on a line not quite vertical. But, when using a krab on the rope, you have steel or aluminum slipping on nylon, then plus any friction from the limb itself. Sometimes laying or lacing limb thru line at some point to increase friction and slow down the fall though too. Once again being able to run as many loads as you have slings and krabs (and nickel and dime out the rest) can allow for a fair amount of time climber can work 'alone' whole crew is on previous mess, out of kill zone etc.

Another good speedline trick is to anchor line off outside of roof line after prelaced thru over house. Then, go over house and tighten line (line is usually climber controlled), and speed line down to the anchor point that is past roof line. Then, lower after it arrives. The branch will try to come half way back towards the house, so tag line is nice. For retrieval, have a rope and krab to anchor point on speedline, real line up, then real in krab, pushing up the krabs and slings on the speedline. If sending a number of branches before lowering, only the last needs a tag line, so once again can work without aid for awhile, until last branch. Will have a 2:1 lowering, less angle. Can Also work in reverse, by anchoring off roofline, then bending to limb, then back to ground guys, to give 2:1 flexing sideways off of house, then speedline down, if vertical should be to block, tree or Porty to keep ground crew clear.

The closer towards the middle of branch you set the sling, the more clearance of ground objects/ roofs, these things can offer.

...did you guy the tree away from the lean?

I wish I had guyed it. I'd of felt way better about it if we did. ...hind sight.. :|:

I did guy a partially uprooted and leaning white pine this past week though. You could see the root plate moving just from a climber spiking up the tree, so I put a guy rope just past halfway up the tree, tensioned with a 2 to 1 and tied it off. It went well after that. Root failure is one of my biggest fears as a climber. I don't like to take those risks.

Back