Ponderosa speedline

• Thread starter robdog
  • Start date
  • Replies 105
  • Views 9K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be on the job first before your a critic. This is new to some, old hat to us here in the mountains. Fast and safe. blastah wouldnt you climb with me during one of these takedowns? very negative board lately I think.

what does mtns have to do with it?.,..

I can see two climbers on a huge crane removal, but not one above another. I have visions of spikes in my head. Looked like the dude on the bottom bear hugged the spar to prevent "ragdolling",..... is that standard protocol for this cutting edge techniques?

the classic ragdoll...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fcR8F1g1raM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fcR8F1g1raM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

the paddleball?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGN5xyC2e5o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hGN5xyC2e5o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Butch, your left nostril is plugged. And why are you wearing a terrycloth robe and beanie hat? Is it cold there?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
After the top cut one climber rode the speedline down to leave the rest of the work for one climber. Two guys limbing the tree was awesome.some cannot handle working together. i can see that.

It's a single stem tree less than a foot diameter. There isn't enough room for a person to operate a chainsaw and maintain an arm's length distance from the other guy. Or else one guy would be underneath the guy cutting, and gravity dictates that is not a safe place to be.

You've had your fun with us but you've posted too many indescrepancies for anybody here to consider you as a legitimate treeman. Perhaps you're a somewhat financially successful landscaper who hired some guys, gave them some chainsaws and sold some treework for them to do, but that does not make you a treeman. That in itself isn't necessarily an insurmountable problem, but your arrogance and failed attempts at proving to all of us how right you are has pretty much guaranteed that your future here is short.

It would be fun to ride the speedline down.

Two guys on the same stem while taking the top off seems ill conceived to me as well. It may work perfectly a hundred times in a row but that is not the same thing as being a safe practice. Its doesn't take much imagination to think about what could go wrong.

Thanks for posting the vid so we can talk about it.

edit: Butch's nostril isn't clogged, that's his brain.

2' diameter

It's a single stem tree less than a foot diameter. There isn't enough room for a person to operate a chainsaw and maintain an arm's length distance from the other guy. Or else one guy would be underneath the guy cutting, and gravity dictates that is not a safe place to be.

You've had your fun with us but you've posted too many indescrepancies for anybody here to consider you as a legitimate treeman. Perhaps you're a somewhat financially successful landscaper who hired some guys, gave them some chainsaws and sold some treework for them to do, but that does not make you a treeman. That in itself isn't necessarily an insurmountable problem, but your arrogance and failed attempts at proving to all of us how right you are has pretty much guaranteed that your future here is short.

I dont know you and you certainly dont know me.I didnt insult anyne here,I just showed some new ways to speedliine and it works for us so why the hostility? legitimate treeman? what do you consider ligitimate?

I've briefly had two guys in a conifer removal a couple times. One was a 9 foot sequoia. Scott worked one side, lowering straight down, myself the other, doing some speedlining. We had a chipper/truck combo on either side of the tree. Once we got up a ways, one guy took over. No way was it over 50% faster.

Did the same on a big fir (story posted here years ago) that everything was speedlined. It only saved a little time.

Doing that top with two was nothing but a waste of time, and unsafe.

I dont know you and you certainly dont know me.I didnt insult anyne here,I just showed some new ways to speedliine and it works for us so why the hostility? legitimate treeman? what do you consider ligitimate?

Actually, you showed nothing new....

just dangerous stuff.

To add to other's comments, the sling was way too long---either that or the main lowering line should have taken all the load, and let that large top run, with the speed line slack, then tightened after the top was stopped.

Sorry if we seem hostile, but you're showing us a dangerous situation and telling us it's ok. Most of the guys on this site are veterans with a lot of experience. Speedlining is not new to us, ok? Maybe its new to you and you're excited to share; that's cool. But we're trying to tell you that what's in that vid is potentially hazardous. If that were my crew, there would have been a stern lecture about safe working procedures and proper rope management.

speedline work is done at WTS almost every month.I usually set it up.20 years worth of experience with it so not new. I am sure everyone here does it their own way.I do it my way and make a great living at it.Anytime you guys want to come down and check it out feel free and give me a call. I am not a critic of any Service or other Arborist who have their own techniques I welcome them.When someone shows me no respect I usually turn the other cheek,sometimes not.

I understand

I personally bought 37 of these saws for my crews this week, it was a slow week....

Given the chance at a cheap shot some take them , others just wait in anticipation

This increases the danger of being in a tree, but I've always been taught to do what I feel comfortable with, work with in my means. I would never try going up a tree with another climber, I already have a problem of making sure the ground guys are safe, though I shouldn't have to. I couldn't imagine keeping myself safe along with another climber. To be fair though, I really wish Robdog that you could possibly get those to climbers you have working for you up here on this forum and have them post their experience running that speed line like you have it set up. I'd like to know how they felt being in such close quarters with each other and if at all did they ever get in each others way, and how they learned to work together like that. Maybe you could try climbing up a tree with someone else and run that speed line and tell us how you feel about doing it.

My climbers

This increases the danger of being in a tree, but I've always been taught to do what I feel comfortable with, work with in my means. I would never try going up a tree with another climber, I already have a problem of making sure the ground guys are safe, though I shouldn't have to. I couldn't imagine keeping myself safe along with another climber. To be fair though, I really wish Robdog that you could possibly get those to climbers you have working for you up here on this forum and have them post their experience running that speed line like you have it set up. I'd like to know how they felt being in such close quarters with each other and if at all did they ever get in each others way, and how they learned to work together like that. Maybe you could try climbing up a tree with someone else and run that speed line and tell us how you feel about doing it.

Everything you just stated is fine. My employees usually post on www.wildernesstree.com
climbers chat daily and always on sundays.This removal was one of the smaller pondos we have done.The big ones are in Lake arrowhead and usually dead from western pine beetle. These two guys are probably two of the best climbers you will ever see working in the same tree.This type of work is really fun.This is the part where the climber rides the speedline down after finishing.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=38339918

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back