Petzl Sequoia saddle

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 150
  • Views 19K
I've never climbed in the TA3. The leg loops don't have buckles and I couldn't get my boots through the loops. I don't know if there are different sizes, but the one we were trying out was WAY small.

The Sequoia looks interesting. 15kN?

work pics

This thing rocks!!!!:D

I was climbing on a dragonfly and always preferred a batton style saddle (I have the batton attachment on order form petzl) The leg straps gave me a few nut crunching moments of discomfort, but I believe I have that adjusted away now. It was snug when I started and snug when I finished, big improvement over the d-fly. Lighter, not sure by how much but noticably so. I've heard wearing the flex is like it isn't even there, thats how I'd describe this harness. the angled gear loops on the hips came in handy, I didn't stow anything there to start but ended up using them throughout the climb. My camera stinks, and my camera guy was also my ground guy so there weren't as many good action pics as I had hoped.

I think Petzl has a winner here.....

Attachments

• IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0716.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0718.JPG
    IMG_0718.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 133
Actually it feels much the same as the B'fly11. Look closer you will see.

The lack of gear attachments put me off as well as the lack of any improvements over a now old ('B-fly) design....

I used it, and it was o.k. but not any where near the TF.

Thanks, that would put me off too.
I like gear attachements.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How does the sequoia compare to the glide II saddle?

The Sequoia, the TreeMotion, the TreeFlex, are all what is known as 'hybrid' saddles.

All of them tout the advantages of light weight, and a substantial advantage of having designs which are suited to the climber who desires a floating bridge, multiple gear loops, and leg support designs which allow the climber's legs to move freely.

The Buckingham Glide is a saddle which attempts to incorporate these designs but in a more durable saddle design.

My main complaint about the Glide is that the bridge design is faulty in that it is very restrictive. The bridge attachment points are bulky which get hung up when your climbing line slides to one end or the other. Buckingham 'solved' this issue with putting rubber washers on each end to prevent the climbing line ring (or biners), from touching the very end of the bridge.
The Glide saddle back is stiffer (yes more durable) but it results in a poor fitting back pad which slides down over the climber's hips and has to be pulled up continuously. Also the Glide webbing straps dont stay put (for me) and have to be worked at to maintain the 'setting' because they loosen. The buckles are large, and when I used the saddle in work, they would bite into the flesh of my legs, and stomach.

Some climbers really like the Glide. Search through the forums here and you will see some pictures of Old Monkey wearing this saddle. I think some good ones are in his thread about shoveling snow off of a roof.

When you look at the picture, you will see that the saddle is hanging pretty low on Old Monkey's hips.

For him, this saddle works. It is all a matter of personal preference.
for me, this is unacceptable.

ALL OF WHAT I JUST WROTE IS MY PERSONAL OPINION

It doesn't have an ansi tag like the glide:|:

Are you an employee or have employees? Thats the only time it would matter.

Seriously, it is really only a tag. It DOES NOT mean the saddle is in any way weaker or inferior.

Thanks frans! I don't like movement in my saddle as far as webbing loosening. My Master II will not stay "snug". I can't stitch the webbing because then you couldn't get the saddle on or off.

After reading your points, I would say that the sequoia is definiately the saddle I will get. It's cheaper too!

Are you an employee or have employees? Thats the only time it would matter.

Seriously, it is really only a tag. It DOES NOT mean the saddle is in any way weaker or inferior.

I am both actually:)

I get that it dosen't change the safety of the saddle....I just don't want to get bounced from a comp because of a little tag. I started another thread......for my own sanity:|:

I want this saga to end............CE is good enough for me:D
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KzaFGMQRBfs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KzaFGMQRBfs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I had to go to Bishop today to get some Blaze. I finally got to hang in both versions of the Sequoia while I was there. Very light weight, but still felt secure. The dee rings look huge in the pictures I've seen, but are very normal sized in real life. They are just a hair larger than the small dee's on my master II.

It felt comfortable hanging in it (both models). If you know you won't use a chest harness and all that stuff, just go for the basic version. The SRT has more buckles and is more cumbersome. The basic model is very streamlined.

The buckles are neat, but would be awkward for the first couple days. No biggy.

All in all, seems great. I can't wait to give the TreeFlex another try. Maybe the TreeMotion, too.

love
nick

The side D rings on the sequoia are FATTER in diameter, not so much larger.

I found that clipping and unclipping with a alum. locking snap took just a hair more attention.

The side D rings on the sequoia are FATTER in diameter, not so much larger.

I found that clipping and unclipping with a alum. locking snap took just a hair more attention.

Room on those D's to double lanyard, Frans? I know you and I may be the only climbers in the universe that do so, but still...:D

Yes. It is just that the D itself is thicker...

It felt comfortable hanging in it (both models). If you know you won't use a chest harness and all that stuff, just go for the basic version. The SRT has more buckles and is more cumbersome. The basic model is very streamlined.

not sure what you mean by the Nick. SRT version has one LESS buckle.

I pick up my podium seat (batton) tomorrow. Pics to follow.....

pics of the seat

its kind of big, and kind of heavy, but will get plenty of use. More comfortable than my living room couch!:D

Attachments

• IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0744.JPG
    IMG_0744.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 133
Is it really supposed to attach to the gold rings?

Back