Petzl Sequoia saddle

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 150
  • Views 18K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know that 'bar' stitching requires a dedicated sewing machine and for some reason sail makers use zig-zag stitching, but other than that I dont know.
I would be interested in seeing such a chart.

Yes, Stumper. The mods have already begun on that saddle

How is the "hang" in the Sequoia?

Thats the most important feature!

Once you get it adjusted, it seems fine.

I have to say tho, for the most part the newer 'high end' saddles are not as durable as they could be

Do you have some actual working time in it yet? Or has it been just playing around until this point?

monday I have a large take down. Let you know after that

Frans, Do you know if Petzl followed their previous design course and used Polyester webbing instead of Nylon? Strength wise there is little difference but supposedly Polyester will be more durable regarding abrasion and UV degradation. Slightly harder to melt also.

When I got the T.M. saddle I thought the same. But, after some hard work it the saddle it is a different story. It is pinching my man parts and/or pushing my testicles into my stomach. :what: When I come out of the tree I often have to push a ball (or two) back into my scrotum:cry: I adjust the saddle, but it goes back to being unadjusted. If I had year round good weather, I would sew the straps in place. However, in the winter I have layers on and I have to reposition the saddle often.:|:

Should I retire it and get a Petzl? :?

Jamin, You have summer clothes and winter clothes. Why do you not have a summer saddle and a winter saddle? :P

I noticed that the D rings are beefy and I thought this was great but when I used a cable core flip line the steel snap does not click easily onto the D ring.
But when chunking, the saddle fit very nicely and did not bind or slip down.
I also like the way the waist cinches up. On the TreeFlex, the straps are slightly different and seem to get in my way. Not on the sequoia.

Pruning a big leaf maple today, so I will have more insight.

For comps, this might be a good saddle. certainly not as durable as some other saddles out there.
The sequoia only has a CE rating, so might not pass inspection if you get a hard nosed judge checking it out.

I like the looks of the SRT Sequioa, I may just get rid of my treemotion and get into the Petzl, if I can get some good feedback about it.

Its all on you Frans.

OK so I gave my sequoia a try out today. only spent an hour or less in it but it instantly felt comfortable. I like the buckles and the sit of the harness feels good to me. I think Im going to like this.....

I've been climbing in mine for about a week and a half now. I love it. I can honestly say that it is my most favorite saddle yet.

Has anyone noticed if the saddle slips down your hips more or less than any other saddle?

How does the Sequoia compare to a New tribe. I want to buy a good saddle for recreational tree climbing and rappeling. Has anyone had the opportunity to sit in both? I will be using both DdRT and SRT for climbing, if that makes a difference in saddle choice. Thanks guys. By the way, great forum. Lots of useful info for a newb like myself.

Ace, I can't give you any comparison but Frans will be able to since he has used both. My gut reaction is that the New Tribe is just about unbeatable for rec climbing......not surprising when you consider that it is a rec company that also caters to pro climbers.

Two different saddles. Sliding bridge on the petzl and fixed D ring on the NT.

First you have to figure out which one is best for you.

If you wanna sleep in the tree, look into the webbing 'D' ring saddle models

I like the sliding bridge on the Petzl and the fact that I can adjust my center of gravity within the 3 different positions(I'm top heavy). It also has another connection point in the front for SRT. I am just waiting on more opinions on its comfort.

Back