Petzl Sequoia saddle

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 150
  • Views 19K
Just got my SRT version. I dig it so far. Just climbed a little to get the feel of it. Really like the SRT attributes of it. As a climber who has always had a saddle with a bowsun seat, the leg straps will take a little getting used to.

Any advice on setting the leg straps up to avoid the pinching?

Also curious about the rings. Is locktite necessary? And once I lock tite them, will it be a huge deal to get them undone again?

Finally, anyone put a hitchclimber on the bridge? Does it fit?

Just got my SRT version. I dig it so far. Just climbed a little to get the feel of it. Really like the SRT attributes of it. As a climber who has always had a saddle with a bowsun seat, the leg straps will take a little getting used to.

Any advice on setting the leg straps up to avoid the pinching?

Also curious about the rings. Is locktite necessary? And once I lock tite them, will it be a huge deal to get them undone again?

Finally, anyone put a hitchclimber on the bridge? Does it fit?

The hitchclimber works great, the mouse is too small and the bridge rubs on the side plates.

Well a couple of days ago, Jerry Roose stopped by to visit me with his truck of goodies from Sherril and Vermeer. I was able to try out and climb in both the sequoia and the glide (Sherrils deluxe version with the extra thick padding. Red and black colors.)

I liked how light weight the sequoia was, and when on the ground it felt as if I was wearing nothing at all. However when hanging in the saddle, I had no support in the upper back of the belt. (The sequoia has two straps that run around the back similar to the more advanced saddles like the TM.) To me it was very uncomfortable in the tree. Also the gold ring on the left side kept snagging the quick release of the belt and would dig into my stomach. This was somewhat fixed by super cinching the belt. I also did not like that the belt quick release was hard to unclip when snug, this is a design flaw of the way the clips work. For me I had to loosen the belt before I could unclip it. I don't like that you have to constantly adjust the settings. It seems to me that over time, it could wear out the friction buckle. (I had problems with my Master II loosening up all the time.) I did like all the different ways you could set up the saddle, however, not too sure about hanging my saw on the back instead of the side of my saddle. You could still hang the saw on the side, but it's made to hang from the back.

The glide was a little heavier, 5 lbs. instead of the sequioa's 3. It was noticeable, but not too much. I love the bridge on the glide and how the quick clips work. Most notable is the comfort of the glide. By far the most comfortable saddle I have ever tried. I did not have any problems with pinching in the crotch, (loose leg straps help with that). Numerous attachement points. The best part is I can walk without my leg straps catching on each other. (The master II was horrible in that respect.) The glide is super easy to get in and out of, and once set, you never have to change a thing. I have not had any problems with straps loosening, and the saddle stays were I put it the whole day. (It doesn't spin around my waist or fall down like the Master II would, this could be due to the bridge though.)

In the end, I went with the glide. Normally I would purchase through Wesspur, but I couldn't beat Sherrils price. The one thing about the sequoia that instantly turned me off was the ring getting caught on the quick release and pushing into my stomach. (I am not a big guy and I still had problems with this. 180# 5'9".)

Quick question. I'm looking at getting a new saddle, but having a really hard time on which too choose. I'm coming from a Master's Sherrill Deluxe (Just didn't work out for me, so I sold it too our main climber who really likes it) and the Petzl Sequoia is on my list, along with the new Weaver Cougar and a Blair Ultralight.

Now, I've sat in all of the saddles and really like all of them. I had planned on going with the Petzl, but then I was reading some posts that this isn't the greatest harness for carrying a chain saw with. Mostly, I'll just be using an MS200T or the MS192T, nothing much bigger than that. (I'm 16, Dad's just started training me with in tree chain saw use, so only small saws for now) Just trying too make sure it'll hold the saw ok.

And the other thing I'm stuck on is the DdRT or the SRT model. I'm just getting into SRT, plus I want to be able to add the Shoulder Straps later on, and I heard only the SRT model can do that. Just one question on the SRT though, is it a cinch belt. If so, is it easy enough too do and undo. I know with my Master's, that was one problem I had with it. It was always hard to undo the belt after a climb, but when I tried the Tree Flex, I liked that cinch belt. Just grab the strap on each side and pull. Very simple and snug.

Thanks everyone!

i just came from the blair saddle to the sequoia. i love the blair saddle and they last a long time but the sequoia is nice. the buckles cinch and un cinch easily and id go srt for the little extra money if you think youd use srt at all

Rangerdanger, as far as the chainsaw goes I wouldn't worry about it. I've carried larger saws on my sequoia without any issue. Make sure and order a caritool for your clip when you purchase any saddle. Having shoulder straps helps carrying larger saws on any saddle, but the 200t and 192t aren't going to be a problem.

I have the SRT and the cinch belt is great, tightens up and releases quickly. I prefer it as there is not a clip to pinch your upper area (or fuda :)) on. I highly recommend this saddle.

jp:D

Thanks guys!! I'll probaly end up ordering the SRT Sequoia, now that I know the cinch belt is great! Can't wait to place my order and get this thing and try it out!

One question though, what set-up do you guys run for the bridge. When I tried it on in St. Louis, they had the swivel, which I really liked. But at the moment I can't afford one, so what other set-ups can I run. Will the Mickey pulley work??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You brought up a damn valid point, Frans. No need to delete your post.

Well, it just seemed kind of lame. It was rightfully pointed out that anyone can say they are whoever they want to on the internet.

But I have problems with talking to minors about safety stuff. Or much of anything to tell the truth :D
So I deleted my post so I am out of the picture. Interesting questions, seems like good guy also.

Well I have used my Sequoia saddle for two days now and I know it is still early but I am surprised that it isn't as comfortable as my Glide. To be fair my Glide wasn't comfortable until I modified it some and it has always had problems with the belts loosening. No one has said anything flattering about the Glide saddle on line that I have read so I have assumed that it sucked and it just didn't other me because I am not picky. Trying a pretty, new saddle has made realize that that is not the case. I haven't played around with the adjustment so much on the Sequoia yet so this is not my final judgement. I spent the cash, I will try hard to make this my everyday saddle. The main problems I have with it are that it is uncomfortable to hang in and that the rings of the bridge are too close together making the floating D action almost imperceptible. The rings are in the middle setting and I will change them next week to the widest setting but that only gives a little bit more play.

Darin, Which model did you get? I am in a very similar position to you in that I just bought a new Sequoia but the SRT so I could learn single rope techniques. I've been using the Glide for several years, and for an all around saddle, I really like it. I also had to modify it. I had troubles with the straps loosing adjustment so I just picked an adjustment size and hot glued the strap down so it wouldn't move. :lol: Worked great!

I also find the switch to the Sequoia more different than I would have thought. I don't find it particularly uncomfortable but those big rings on the bridge are more noticeable than I would have guessed. I think it is a fine saddle so will give it more time. Frankly, I have never had a saddle that I was satisfied with until I did modify it.

Dave

I think it is a fine saddle so will give it more time. Frankly, I have never had a saddle that I was satisfied with until I did modify it.

Dave

I'd have to agree with you on this one Dave. I've been climbing on my sequoia now for about two months. It took about 6 weeks before I was truly satisfied. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but I just hadn't been able to full "experience" it, if that makes any sense.

Anyhow, as with any saddle it has short comings but for the $250 I spent on it, it is definitely the best bang for my saddle buck yet.

I don't see any need for me to get anything different any time soon.

Rick

I certainly going to give the saddle some time before I make my final decision on it. I have the SRT version without the croll ascender. I like having shoulder straps on all my saddles.

Back