Petzl Sequoia saddle

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 150
  • Views 18K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
why is everyone so reluctant to post pictures of this saddle and details of the opening rings?
Jeez, pictures get posted all the time, its not THAT hard.
point, shoot, click, post!

Sorry Frans. My memory card for my camera was in my laptop when it was stolen and I haven't bought a new one yet. The rings have a hard rubber insert that fills the gap. A screw goes from one side of the gap, through the insert and into the other side. I'll see what I can do about getting that new memory card so I can post some pics.

Climbed in it for a bit this morning and I love it. First impression is that it is super light. Almost rock climbing harness light. Very comfortable. With minimal adjustment its almost like its not even there. No pressure points anywhere. They have the atachment points dialed in. The caritool is awesome for hanging your saw on. Even hanging my 365 on it was comfortable and it didn't seem to pull or want to move the saddle around. Now the big test is to see how durable it is.

Frans, I found 3 spare minutes in my workday to get these pics posted for you. ell 4 more minutes counting the time to load them. And before you you say it, I screwed up and did not get a picture of the screw. It's about a 1/2" long, fine thread.

Attachments

• 2008 phot 015.jpg
    2008 phot 015.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 2008 phot 016.jpg
    2008 phot 016.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 10
bless you my son...

It looks like the screw threads into the regular alum. body of the ring?

So far I'm liking the TA3 just a bit more than the Sequoia. Still not digging the slanted gear loops on the Petzl. It's close though.

those rings look big......or you have itty bitty fingers. Are they normal size..the rings I mean.:lol:

if the ta3 is anything set up like the ta1, there are suspender 'squares' and buckles like the waist buckle for seat attachment.

Does the Sequoia carry the ANSI tag? Seems like I recall that the Petzl saddles only had CE certification.

No. the only tag I was able to find attached to the saddle is the CE tag. I will look through the documentation later to see if any other certs. have been done.

I am holding the saddle right now in my hands (well actually it is sitting over there on the coffee table) and I have already switched the bridge to Nick's bridge he made me utilizing the 'opening' rings.

Seems like a light weight saddle. The ring size is just the same as the larger alum. rings produced by Buckingham in their false crotchs.

The back pad does seem thin, but all the webbing is sewn directly through the entire back pad so it all appears fairly strong.

Robert Phillips noticed that the 45 degree gear loops on the back are sewn in a way which seems like the stitches would pull out over time.

One detail I like is the side D rings are robust and have the same double bar set up like the B'fly where the webbing will hold the Ds either in the open (forward) or closed (backward) position.
Much better IMO to have the D rings like this than the alternative of having them flop back and forth.

Bailey's is including the new LARGE plastic flat back spline tool holder with every purchase of the Sequoia for just a limited time. The thing is huge, like a carrytool on steroids.
The regular ones are a good size for me personally as they dont stick out too far and snag on stuff.
Too bad they didn't simply make the old one stronger....

As for the 'opening' alum. rings. The torx head fine threaded bolt goes through one end and is threaded into the other end.
Petzl tells me that the thread depth is exactly the same as the bolt length, so pretty much impossible to strip the threads.
In addition, when they anodized the ring, they also anodized the threads inside. So that is how they are making the threads stronger.

I own the SRT model. On the back is a flat slotted piece of hardware designed to thread suspenders through. I wish they had simply made a webbing loop so a biner could be inserted. That way the climber can strip off the suspenders easily while in the tree without any hassle.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpg
    IMG_0602.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0615.jpg
    IMG_0615.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 10
Frans I believe the flat hardware is for their top that goes with the saddle not really for suspenders.

Yes your correct Wiley. I just loosly used the term 'suspenders'. It is designed to hold a Petzl strap which goes over your shoulders. This strap helps to keep the Croll in place.

Still, I don't like it when a manufacturer builds a product which forces you to only use their line of accessories. Not to mention that it is a pain to take on and off especially when you get into the tree and want to take it off.

Frans, why not tie/sew a little loop to the rectangular attachment to clip you 'biner to? Those sorts of mods ain't rocket surgery.

On the note of sewing, does anyone know anything about stitch patterns? I seem to remember reading somewhere ( I just can't remember where) about different patterns and strength loss.

Back