Old School: Negative blocking without a block

I do that on a regular basis. Small pieces, when there is no need to set up a block, or a single leader. It's how I started rigging like Ed.

That's how it's normally done, with the notched rigging point below the climber? Seems like it would make sense so if the rig line came out it wouldn't wipe the climber off their feet but at the same time it makes for a long drop? I guess you'd get a feel for if the spar is rotten or not when you notched it and climbed by it?

I can see it working I guess but it sure looks dicey to me.

That's how it's normally done, with the notched rigging point below the climber? Seems like it would make sense so if the rig line came out it wouldn't wipe the climber off their feet but at the same time it makes for a long drop? I guess you'd get a feel for if the spar is rotten or not when you notched it and climbed by it?

I can see it working I guess but it sure looks dicey to me.
Usually the rigging point would be just below the lanyard of the climber, like the pulley set up really, it's just that Pompey the bear doesn't do scale very well. Plus he looks terrified which has put you off a bit!
In a work situation were it to slip it would knock your spikes out on the way through and no other damage. Except for the mess below!

I follow ya now. Even 'just knocking your spikes out' seems like it would be pretty damn violent or potential for some injury. I mean your spurs are set firmly at that point in the process. I believe it's done, but it'll never happen by me.

I follow ya now. Even 'just knocking your spikes out' seems like it would be pretty damn violent or potential for some injury. I mean your spurs are set firmly at that point in the process. I believe it's done, but it'll never happen by me.

It's funny when you think they used to teach this stuff at college, it's not like pulleys are new technology! These days I only do it for skinny tops etc leave the big stuff to the bear, I'm no nutter!

That picture made my day. That is how I was taught, and I remember snapping a line or two with some absurd loads which was foolish on my part. Trunk wraps, no blocks, and a taut line hitch... I am glad I did it, but I am also glad those days are well in the past.

Yeah I just got in around 3, it is pretty damn cold out there. Does your face feel like it's made out of leather too after today?

It did yesterday it burned, I am pretty sure it was the first sign of frostbite. I was only out there for a few hours today tending the burn pile.

I must have done that technique hundreds of times with never a slip or problem. Used to mostly use a little stub to hold the rope rather than a notch.

So in practice it just sets in the notch/stub really tightly and consistently? Not much likelihood of slippage or coming out? The friction seems like it must be brutal.

Yeah I just got in around 3, it is pretty damn cold out there. Does your face feel like it's made out of leather too after today?

vaseline.jpg

Well, if Ed and Pete say it's pretty SOP for them, I'll take that under consideration...

but having now done so, I have decided to retreat to my earlier position. Not for me, no way no how :D.

Love the bear! :lol:

I would imagine 3 strand being the shit on a run across wood like that.
Not something I would do though.. have blocks and slings... They work peachy and the rope runs very nice with a lot less wear... :lol:

If you nip out the corners of the notch you make, it reduces the friction a lot. Kind of like if you've ever been working a spar and had to get down Ddrt, without something to tie into. Just cut an upright pointing notch in the backside and round out the corners. I don't make a habit of any of these practices, but they've come into place a time or so.

And if you take ALOT of time and make the notching/groove around 1/2 the tree's circumference at the same angle the loaded rope will hang to, and make it smooth, it's not so bad on the rope, but, why bother when you have a block?

And if you take ALOT of time and make the notching/groove around 1/2 the tree's circumference at the same angle the loaded rope will hang to, and make it smooth, it's not so bad on the rope, but, why bother when you have a block?

Don't look that far into it my friend. Its one of those things that can be done in a pinch, not as a habit. For instance, one log has to be lowered before the whole spar can be dumped into a backyard, and the block is MIA. Just a trick to keep in your mind, if in a pinch.

Back