Old School: Negative blocking without a block

mistahbenn

Treehouser
Howdy... So, alot of other crews around my area are all old school, dont use pulleys for rigging big wood, but cut in notches for the rope. Ive never seen this method, so can one of you guys explain the technique perhaps? I would hate not having a rigging block to rely on, especially on some of the trees we get around here! :|:

You already explained it! No reason to use it that I know of, if you have a block.

I'm not understanding how notches can be cut to take the place of a pulley. If you don't have a stub to rope from, then you'll need a pulley/shackle.

Notches don't take the place of a pulley or block they are just not used. I have seen this technique done and what it does to the ropes and it's just plain ugly no way to let the chunk run unless it's huge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It happens all the time over here, Howard's, richys, weeping willow (firms) all do it. Straight trunks, no block, how!? I can imagine it ruins ropes. I'm just wondering is all...

The rope crossed over or twisted so as the piece drops its held in the running by the standing end
Used it a few times but nothing big seen it done alot early in my career
Notches?

Its hard on ropes and much slower to set up than a block and porty.

On the bottom part of the tree when the wood gets big and you don't have any room for a run. With a half hitch in the place of the block, tie the piece above and your good to go. Slam it down and lower off of your half hitch.

Do you mean marl instead of half hitch? Wouldnt a hh bind itself?

One time my teacher got a little pissed that I only had a long sling, so he started old schooling a couple of sweet gum spars... He was FAST!... no messing around.. cut a series of notches in the trunk... laced it up and put the wood on the ground.. Just like anything else, once you develop a system i goes fast. And if you use the right kind of rope, the wear and tear is not too bad... I'll ask him to demonstrate if we ever get the chance...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes visual please... I would hate to do this while climbing. What if the rope slipped out of the notch? It would take out the climber for sure!

Maybe you mean cutting an upside down notch in front of you, the rope goes into it, then a half hitch under the gob, with a half hitch timber hitch above it.
At college in the early nineties it was standard practice, no pulleys there. Best with the old plaited rope.
It does work, I still do it on occasion, but letting it run and all that is a bit tricky.

Imagine if you will a slanted cut downward and another slanted cut down to the apex. Rope would run over that... You would only need one as you are going to cut above that. Rope will stay in the V

Its easy. Its rough and chews up ropes. I don't do it, but know how. If I have time later I'll draw something up.

My colleague here will demonstrate with the aid of a couple of pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 81
Can I have your colleagues number? He looks like a good worker.

Edit: I spent all my formative years blocking spars down like that.

It's a Portsmouth FC bear so he gets a little depressed lately.
Re the technique me 'n' all, It's always handy to know 'cos sometimes you cannot arsed to drag A pulley and all the gubbins up for a couple of cuts.
Sure it's a bit Flintstones, but it works.

Back