Official Random Fact/Random Thought Thread!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
While on the CO2 topic, I’ve heard that that plants grow well when you talk to them due to the high amounts of carbon dioxide exhaled onto them.
I just looked it up. There's no conclusive evidence that talking to your plants will help them grow for any reason.

Random Fact: What kind of alcohol is safe to drink? Ethanol is the only alcohol that is safe to drink currently. To the layman, the term: 'alcohol' is widely used rather than the chemist term ethyl alcohol or ethanol.

Random Fact: Where do they make NFL footballs? Since 1955, the official NFL footballs have been made at the Wilson factory in Ada, Ohio. Each football is handmade from cowhide sourced from Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa.

My sister did a science experiment for a fair in middle school. She played various types of music for groups of plants. They all received as equal treatment as possible and the control group was played no music. The ones that grew to a greater size were the ones “listening” to the orchestra. The ones that grew the least were the ones that were exposed to my thrash metal collection. Not calling it a fact but interesting. It wasn’t repeated many times in a double blind study in a lab setting though.

In Back to the Future, Marty plays Jonny B Good on the guitar.
Marvin phones up Chuck Berry and says “you know that new sound you been looking for….?” Then holds the phone up so Chuck can hear.

How would Chuck write a song after listening to it when he wrote the song in the first place?

In Back to the Future, Marty plays Jonny B Good on the guitar.
Marvin phones up Chuck Berry and says “you know that new sound you been looking for….?” Then holds the phone up so Chuck can hear.

How would Chuck write a song after listening to it when he wrote the song in the first place?
Maybe they dialed Chuck at a time BEFORE he invented the song so that now he's convinced someone else came up with it but takes credit for it anyways...even though he deserves the credit.

Last edited:
The northern lights have sound...

I was thinking I have music from every continent aside from Antarctica, and was wondering what Antarctic music would sound like. The most likely candidate was Aurora Australis. I had a vague notion the northern lights made sound, but apparently that was somewhat controversial til recently.

Makes my head hurt thinking about it.
de3ef1ee3f987d2c274990e9a17b6cf2.png

Random Thought: Why are all US-based snacks seeing an obsession with spiciness? Spicy Doritos, spicy Cheetos (three different kinds) Dinamitos, Takis (which are like the OG of spiciness from my understanding). I don't have a problem with it except it seems like they could do with just one offering that's spicy and come up with cool other flavors for the rest of their revenue. Naw mean? Was that too gangsta of me? *composes himself* Do you know what I mean? I think Spicy Cheetos took off and they saw dollar signs.

Random Fact: How are natural diamonds formed? Most natural diamonds are formed at high temperature and pressure at depths of 140 to 190 kilometers (87 to 118 mi) in the Earth's mantle. Carbon-containing minerals provide the carbon source, and the growth occurs over periods from 1 billion to 3.3 billion years (25% to 75% of the age of the Earth).

Random Fact: How are Lab Grown Diamonds made? Lab-grown diamond (LGD;[1] also called laboratory-grown, laboratory-created, man-made, artisan-created, artificial, synthetic, or cultured diamond) is diamond that is produced in a controlled technological process (in contrast to naturally formed diamond, which is created through geological processes and obtained by mining). Unlike diamond simulants (imitations of diamond made of superficially similar non-diamond materials), synthetic diamonds are composed of the same material as naturally formed diamonds – pure carbon crystallized in an isotropic 3D form – and share identical chemical and physical properties. Lab grown diamonds are substantially less expensive than natural diamonds. Click the links for more information.

Last edited:
What annoys me is the "spicy" snacks are only hot if you come from Wisconsin. I want some legit hot snacks that have some fire, and no damned sugar. I don't want anything sweet/hot. Hot/hot is perfect, and salty/hot is acceptable.

Bullshit!
They are pretty hot if you come from Sweden.

Apart from that, I agree.

Maybe they dialed Chuck at a time BEFORE he invented the song so that now he's convinced someone else came up with it but takes credit for it anyways...even though he deserves the credit.
A classic what came first- chicken or the egg.

How could Marty have known the song unless he heard Chuck Berry’s performance already?

John, I feel your spice pain. Unfortunately, we are in the very small minority (maybe under 5% of the market) that would eat something like that. Commercial “spicy” just sucks to us. Don’t see that changing anytime soon. Even the Indian grocery snacks are quite tolerable 😞

A classic what came first- chicken or the egg.

How could Marty have known the song unless he heard Chuck Berry’s performance already?
Well wouldn't he have heard Chuck's performance because he was in the future, after the performance occurred? I haven't seen the movie, but that's what I gather from the title. I'm just enjoying the theoretical physics of it all. Oh and he might have known about Chuck Berry prior to going into the future.

Last edited:
Well wouldn't he have heard Chuck's performance because he was in the future, after the performance occurred? I haven't seen the movie, but that's what I gather from the title. I'm just enjoying the theoretical physics of it all. Oh and he might have known about Chuck Berry prior to going into the future.
Marty was from the future and heard Berry’s song already. Marty traveled back in time to an era before Berry wrote the song. Marty played the song on stage and Berry’s cousin called Berry so he could listen over the phone.

Separate from the movie:
On one timeline Berry was solely responsible for the song and on the other he was inspired by Marty to write the song. The multiverse.

Marty was from the future and heard Berry’s song already. Marty traveled back in time to an era before Berry wrote the song. Marty played the song on stage and Berry’s cousin called Berry so he could listen over the phone.

Separate from the movie:
On one timeline Berry was solely responsible for the song and on the other he was inspired by Marty to write the song. The multiverse.

My interpretation isn't applicable because I thought you were saying he called from future. I haven't seen the movie, so I guess I should stay out of it.

John, I feel your spice pain. Unfortunately, we are in the very small minority (maybe under 5% of the market) that would eat something like that. Commercial “spicy” just sucks to us. Don’t see that changing anytime soon. Even the Indian grocery snacks are quite tolerable 😞
Grow your own Datil peppers next year. Start them indoors in April near the fireplace, so the soil stays warm enough to sprout the seeds. Give them plenty of light as they grow, and plant outside in June.

Random Fact: What were the names of Beethoven's only opera? Beethoven's Fidelio premiered with great success in Vienna, on May 23, 1814. But Beethoven had been fine-tuning Fidelio for nearly 10 years. At its debut in 1805, Beethoven's opera was called Leonore, and it flopped.

Random Fact: Do cows sleep on their feet? The practice of cow tipping is generally considered an urban legend, as cows do not sleep standing up, and the implication that a cow can be pushed over and not stand up again is incorrect, as, unless injured, cows routinely lie down and can easily regain their footing.

How can you guys tolerate such pain? Have you worked up an immunity to capsaicin? I wonder what the mechanism of such an immunity/tolerance is? Maybe a sort of antitoxin response? I tried one of my Datil peppers, and it was quite the miserable experience.

You just acclimate I guess. Start with a bit of hot sauce, increase the amount, then go to a hotter sauce. It helps to like the pain. It's a real buzz when you go up to, and perhaps a little past the edge of tolerance.

You just acclimate I guess. Start with a bit of hot sauce, increase the amount, then go to a hotter sauce. It helps to like the pain. It's a real buzz when you go up to, and perhaps a little past the edge of tolerance.
I think people are either born hardwired to tolerate spiciness or they just can't tolerate it or somewhere in between. Surely, as @lxskllr suggested, you can habituate to increasing degrees of spiciness. However, tolerating and enjoying are two very different experiences. I, personally, love the pain, again, as @lxskllr mentioned. I love how my sinuses get cleared and I love the endorphin rush that I get, which is my body's way of combating the natural irritant that is spicy foods and sauces. I feel alive when I dance with ghost pepper chips and the flavor you get just before you get smacked with that burning is second to none. Honestly, it's all about the flavor for me. Some people just can't do it. Take my father for example: He loves spicy foods, but whenever he partakes, he sweats like a whore in church and piles of napkins are required to control his perspiration!

Me? I show zero signs of distress when I eat hot foods. However, if I were to, say, eat a raw ghost pepper, I'd probably find myself tearing up profusely and exuding mucus out of every mucosal membrane on my face. We all have our limits. I actually did this once, which is why I'm so familiar with its adverse reaction. However, I would strongly discourage anyone from replicating such an experiment unless you really need your sinuses unclogged and even Sudafed isn't working hahaha I'm just kidding...sort of.

In conclusion, I believe that you are either down with the spice or the spice brings you down or somewhere in the happy medium rage. I don't think you can enjoyably train yourself to prefer or tolerate extremely spicy foods. It's either in your nature or it isn't. And at some point, I believe that increasing the spiciness of any sauces or peppers beyond a certain point is just attention seeking and pointless. When a sauce legit just burns your mouth off, without any real flavor, then it's kind of useless as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a masochist...I don't enjoy hurting myself for any reason whatsoever...except back when I was heavily into drugs...but other than that, I do it for the flavor. The burning sensation is a secondary bonus factor.

How can you guys tolerate such pain? Have you worked up an immunity to capsaicin? I wonder what the mechanism of such an immunity/tolerance is? Maybe a sort of antitoxin response? I tried one of my Datil peppers, and it was quite the miserable experience.
It seems similar to a a drug or alcohol tolerance.

I can now eat a full habanero pepper with very little discomfort. No need for bread or dairy afterwards. Long ago when I didn’t eat hot foods trying a bite from a habanero nearly killed me (felt like it) and it was a small bite that I didn’t swallow.

Back