O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

A basic work mod isn't all that interesting of things to do, most of it simply comes down to removing metal, usually with a grinder, then polishing or not. Yes, a bit of some finer work too, like on a lathe, timing checks, or adding an outlet to the muffler...
If you've done a lot of them, I suspect that the long time delays might be a motivational problem.

Getting a definite promise of date of completion might help solve that.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could buy them modded, straight from the factory/dealer? I could dig it.

That's what I'm talking about I want the option of.

Yeah, Jay, I figure it gets boring doing the same thing over and over, kinda like tree work. When it got boring, I started looking for ways to make it faster and easier and thus more profitable.

I seriously doubt the margins are there for me to take up saw modding. I figure it'd cost $10-15k to get tooled up, then probably 3-5x the saws cost to get the specifications made. That's purely a guess at this point. You need a mill, lathe, clean work table with good lighting, dyno, various sensors, and misc hand/power tools. The way things snow ball I figure $30-40k and 1500 hours to bring a 200/360/460/660 lineup to the table like I'm takikng about.

I think that you are way overestimating your set-up costs with the second figure....maybe with the first too. The hand power tools and a lathe are unavoidable....a mill lesser so I believe, but you want one. You are working in a limited space when modifying a jug, there aren't a lot of things that can aid you there. How good is the market for the work? What do people generally pay for a work mod, the saw not included?

Of course there is that tool you mentioned for break-in, that might cost a fair bit.

Jay, I figured I'd need a seperate work area from my small shop/fab area for cleanliness. Add AC, lathe, air compressor, etc etc, $10-15k doesn't seem unreasonable. The dyno wouldn't be hella expensive, but the data logging equipment does cost a little bit.

3-5x the saw's cost seems practical from minimal knowledge to a marketable, tested product. That would be $10-15k there. Then add in the part where everything costs more than you figure, and $30-40k doesn't seem terribly unreasonable.

I can file just fine, I choose not to. I don't enjoy it, so I pay to not have to. I don't like cleaning the house, so we have a maid. I don't like doing much yard work or running the weedeater, so I don't do that either. I don't care to cook much for myself, so I eat out. I don't like not engaging my brain and being bored so I go to school. I'm not rollin in the dough by any means, but I do well enough to not do most of the little things I don't like.

Unless Squish worked out a deal on Ed doing them when he got around to it, 6 months is inexcusable to me. What's the going rate to mod a 460/660? $400 seems to come to mind.

There was no such arrangement and I was getting mighty anxious, Skwerl can attest to that. As for the cost you'd have to contact a builder.

I have ALWAYS used muffs when running saws. Still going slowly deaf.
How would a modded saw lessen my exposure time?
During logging season I run a saw 8 hrs a day.

8hrs of steady cutting? That's pretty damn long behind the handle. Anyways it would lessen your exposure time because they cut so much faster. Either you could work only seven hour days, or you could be done your whole contracts days faster.

There is no real benefit to me to convince people of the benefit of a modded saw. Most who have ever run modded saws swear they will never go back to stock. But then there are the anomaly's, like Carl.

It matters not to me whether you ever run a modded saw or not, but know without a matter of a doubt that they are signifigantly faster cutting then stock. Imo the noise difference is negligible and I too am suffering already at my age from hearing loss. And that hearing loss same as yours was caused mainly by stock saws, but also by chippers, loud music, etc, etc.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could buy them modded, straight from the factory/dealer? I could dig it.

It is cool.

Price of a work mod has gone up to 150.00. My builder has done thousands of mods. He can knock out a 460 in 35 minutes.
I have seen him do 6 of them at once in that time frame. Saws last 700-800 tanks.
Some exhaust work, piston work, little porting and bam!

...But then there are the anomaly's, like Carl...

No anomaly, if I needed another saw, and someone was selling a modded saw in new/like new/nearly new condition with a corresponding price, I'd be all over it vs buying the stock unit.

Why is pricing shrouded in mystery so?

8hrs of steady cutting? That's pretty damn long behind the handle.

Told ya.
I'm a professional treefaller.
For about half the year, that is what I do.
Knock trees over and buck them . 8 hrs a day.
30+years.

Why do you think I'm half deaf, beat to shit and know a lot about how to fall trees?

This would be a good place for a smiley, but I can't find one that fits.

It is cool.
He can knock out a 460 in 35 minutes.

I'd be interested in learning what degree of modification is getting accomplished in that amount of time. Piston work, turning down the jug base, I doubt is included. Polishing a port takes some time after grinding. Working quantities would save time per, but a full mod in the duration of a slightly extended tea break, is hard to impossible to figure.

A muffler mod, yeah, and little disassembly too.

I'd be interested in learning what degree of modification is getting accomplished in that amount of time. Piston work, turning down the jug base, I doubt is included. Polishing a port takes some time after grinding. Working quantities would save time per, but a full mod in the duration of a slightly extended tea break, is hard to impossible to figure.

A muffler mod, yeah, and little disassembly too.

It's the difference between a shoemaker and a Pro . After several thousand times of doing the mods, 2 hours gets trimmed down quite a bit. These are true woods mods. Ported muffler, piston and jug get machined, and bam, a dependable screamer for folks who put wood on the ground.

As to Stig and their cutting days. The contour makes all the difference. cutting on flat ground vs. steep and 6 hours wears you out just fine.;)

Dave, you like to call me a shoemaker for some reason. I'm not one, I mostly do woodwork.... kind of sophisticated of one sort or another. Maybe you think I make wooden shoes? Anyway, just thought I'd better inform...

I've done a number of mods, but I wouldn't call myself a pro. Most of the pros I read that are talking about it, mention a quick mod in terms of some hours, not just a few minutes, that is why I was asking about it with some disbelief.

Dave, you like to call me a shoemaker for some reason. I'm not one, I mostly do woodwork.... kind of sophisticated of one sort or another. Maybe you think I make wooden shoes? Anyway, just thought I'd inform...

I've done a number of mods, but I wouldn't call myself a pro. Most of the pros I read that are talking about it, mention a quick mod in terms of some hours, not just a few minutes, that is why I was asking about it with some belief.

I know what you are highly skilled at Jay. Very possibly only a few people in the world can build with wood the way you do. Shoemaker is a term used in reference to folks who dabble in other trades. Treework, saw building, commercial fishing for a hobby, etc.

Back