O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Same here, I've been meaning to run it dry. Pretty much due to a big slowdown in work, rather than not appropriate for the trees we have.

Wow, you must like to pack the weight around. A 044/046 will pull that 20' chain good enough - any saw larger is just overkill.

Last edited:
It's got 1 extra hp and weighs less than 2lbs more than the 460. I agree it's more than required, but you can lean on it with an 8 pin sprocket and it cuts like a bastard.

Whenever I replace it, I dunno if I'll go 460/660. It'll probably be from the used market by then anyways.

It's got 1 extra hp and weighs less than 2lbs more than the 460. I agree it's more than required, but you can lean on it with an 8 pin sprocket.

Whenever I replace it, I dunno if I'll go 460/660. It'll probably be from the used market by then anyways.

How much more fuel does it use as compared to an appropriately sized saw?

You guys are thinking like arborists!
I'm am a treefaller, I get paid by the amount of volume of logs I produce.
Heading into old hardwoods with a 70 cc saw is just plain stupid.
Heading into medium size hardwoods with a 90 cc saw is just as stupid.

You need the right size saw for the size of trees you are working in, in order to make money.

Last edited:
Nobody said it was THE mark, but using as larger saw than necessary so you can lean on it isn't the mark either. Why carry the extra weight all day and use twice much fuel?

Because I don't have a log loader or normally bring my tractor out to jobs so I have to dice logs up to load with the mini and I don't want to run a saw all day? Fuel consumption is hardly double, if I had to guess based on statistics it's less than 20% per hour and well less than 10% lbs/hp.

To each their own, I suppose.

Haha I don't like arguing, but I like debating. Then again that might just be a difference in semantics, but I like to keep it academic.

The weight difference is less than 1% of my weight, so that's fairly moot to me. If I was a smaller or less able person (bad back for example) I can sure see using a lighter saw. If you're doing alot of delicate/agile/nimble chainsaw work, a lighter saw would decrease repositioning time, but I'm calling that fairly moot for my style.

Since I'd use the same chain/bar on either saw, the main thing that matters for cutting time is chain speed. An 8 pin sprocket moves the chain about 14.2% faster, and the 660 has about 16.6% more peak HP. The faster spinning chain uses more HP, so I'd guestimate that the 660 with 8 pins cuts about 10% faster than the 460 in most every condition. Bucking a 30" oak into 4-700lb pieces makes for alot of sawdust, and I prefer that 10% savings.

I'm surprised you still run stock saws, Carl. Every single treeman without exception that has seen my saws in action has been most impressed, but none of them are bright enough or concerned about production times enough to have their saws modded.

I no longer have a need or want for a shop/truck full of saws like I used to have, that's too much money sitting around doing too little. I've heard of people getting duds that didn't perform as well as expected, and to me that's unacceptable. If you pay for a 500hp LS1 engine, you get a 500+hp LS1 engine delievered with it's dyno output sheet.

I'd love to run modded saws if I knew of someone who could quantify and guaranty the performance increase, had a reasonable and certain time table, preferably lived in this country, and could ship me the saw directly.

The last time I bought saws I talked to someone in Canada (I think), forget his name (Ed/EHP?) about getting modded saws. He said while he could buy the saw there and ship it to me directly, he greatly prefered I buy the saw, run 10 tanks through it, then send it to him. This was the same guy who said he could make a wicked fast work 200T. I asked about it and he said something along the lines of he didn't want the liability/didn't think people needed that much power in a climbing saw. I lost interest faster than a kid with ADD.

At that point I had 2 200T's, 2 250's (who cares), 3 44's, 1 460, 1 660, and 1 88KD. That's $6k without the 088. I did the last ~$80k of tree work using a 192 and the 660. The 192 isn't that great compared to a 200T, for sure.

When my 192 and 660 get replaced, I doubt I buy spare(s) unless my work or style changes.

That's where some differ Carl.. I need two of about everything save the 066.
If one fails.. we keep on keeping on. Pull the next off the truck and get on with it. But we run a tight schedule. Larger crewing is the same way.. That guy has a 45cc.. that one a 55-60... yada yada.. if one goes down.. pick up another and get back to work. If I am up a tree and the 200t gives me issues.. Send me a fresh one and I will deal with it when I hit the ground. I do like redundancy :) Carb spring broke on a saw the other day.. Kept on going with the same class saw by pulling another off the truck. Why would I want to pick up 1.5 to 2X the saw I needed to get the job done. NP :)

Yeah, I don't do much if any brushing, work solo most of the time, and have yet to have a saw issue stop me from working/finishing a job.

When I had 2 full time groundies we comparatively went through chainsaws like a fish goes through water. The last 2 times I had a saw not be able to finish a job was because it was ran-the-eff over.

Lol.

I pack light, three saws (200t, 360, 460), and use the smallest possible to get the job done.

I'd like to get a 660, but in four years I never said I wish I have one. But I stick to tiny trees. 8)

And you're 2/3's the size of me with a bum back eh?

Like I said, I'm not sure if I'll go with a 460 or 660 when I replace the current saw. A 200T will replace the 192T when that time comes.

Nice to be able to cannibalize a saw to be able to keep going also.
If you buy two of each you can always make things work if parts are on order etc.
I have had that happen more than a couple times. I carry spare parts that are common breaks on stuff. But sometimes...
So marry them and get on with it.
If I worked by myself all the time.. My fleet would be smaller.. But still... I would have 2 200Ts and a couple mid range for the ground. Just less headache if shat happens.

Back