O.C.G.D. Thread, part two

Im all about having a backup, I roll with 2 climbing saws and 2 46's. Shoot I even have 2 chippers and 2 trucks I can chip into Im so paranoid......

I guess now's as good a time as any that from what I understand, overweight fees vary by state. As I understand it, they range from 5 cents to 2 bucks per pound over weight.

Enjoy the Stella!

I lol at your take on modded saws Carl. I have two EHP saws, and they both rip compared to stock. That's as qualitive and quantifiable as I need. I ran them stock, sucked dog doo doo, modded they run like raped apes. Now my TW 460 is a whole other thing altogether. I couldn't describe in words how happy I am with that saw. I'd put it up against a stock 660 all day long, espescially in the 20" bar range. But heh I'm sure you'll calculate a way up about how I'm wrong.:P

Imo the 460 is so much smoother running of a saw, for that reason alone I'd pack it around daily instead of a 660. And a 660 in stock form imo is a dog of a saw.

Like I've said before, show me a modded saw that doesn't make more noise than a stock one and I'll consider switching over.
My hearing is already as f'ed up as I want it to be.

I wear muffs/earplugs when I run a saw and between the chipper I don't find that the extra DB of a modded saw to be to much worry. More important to have proper consistent use of ppe then worry about a little extra noise imo. Also when running a modded saw it lessens your exposure time.

I'd like a 360 that ripped. I use that saw ALOT.

Just in 200T's sake. The screen removed on mine blows the doors away at the one I use at the PT job. Sucker is loud though

I lol at your take on modded saws Carl...

I have a modded saw, an 088KD, makes a 24" cut in oak in the low 9 seconds. I got it second hand from a fellow who worked in an office, didn't do tree work, but wanted the saw anyways. He never used it aside from cranking it up every now and then, got it for $1500.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be able to order a saw straight from the builder, that is modded to a set standard. My dealer hasn't came off MSRP ever. Bought a 200T, 440, 660, and BR600. Paid MSRP on all of those, asked about a roll of chain and was again quoted MSRP. Bought a $11k Exmark, asked for a price of another engine, again was quoted MSRP.

So I buy a 460 for $1k, run 10 tanks of fuel through it (could take a couple months), then drain it, pack it up, and ship it to him. He works on it when he gets around to it and ships it back to me. Shipping costs what 40-50 bucks? So now I've got $15-1600 tied up in a saw. Instead, since most saw builders get on good with their dealers, he gets it at a reduced price, throws it on a load bed to run 10 tanks through it, mods it, then ships it to me. Hell he might even keep one on the shelf, which would reduce my wait dramatically.

I'm an anomaly for offering customers a full range of cleanup options, but it's odd for a person who makes a standard product to offer similar service? Bah :)

Canadian saw prices are through the roof compared to the cost of the same saw in the States.

The problem with saw builders is that once they get popular, they end up losing the enjoyment of the work because they are too busy cranking out production and the performance goes down. I've been through a few builders with an entire range of issues and problems, but I'd still never go back to running stock saws (other than the 200T).

My last three have come from a builder in Canada and he has been very quick and responsive in his turnaround times. In fact all three got to me faster than any other modded saw I've gotten from any other builder since I've been running ported saws.

Carl, if I were you I think I'd check out dealers in adjacent towns. It's not just you, I've had similar issues with most of the Stihl dealers around here. I can buy a roll of chain from Washington and have it shipped here $100 cheaper than buying locally.

I'm fine being the anomaly. I'll rake the yard, they just have to pay for it. If someone does the raking for free something's wrong.

Yeah, Brian. I run O Reilly's bar oil, get my main chain off Ebay, and right now just get 2 cycle mix and the occasional part or climbing saw chain from the local shop.

Maybe I should just learn and fill my niche myself. From a biz standpoint, instant gratification goes a long way with most people. What kinda turn around has Canada been offering you? I presume you ship him the saws and go from there?

I wear muffs/earplugs when I run a saw and between the chipper I don't find that the extra DB of a modded saw to be to much worry. More important to have proper consistent use of ppe then worry about a little extra noise imo. Also when running a modded saw it lessens your exposure time.

I have ALWAYS used muffs when running saws. Still going slowly deaf.
How would a modded saw lessen my exposure time?
During logging season I run a saw 8 hrs a day.

I was thinking a dynomometer, although knowing the torque or RPM wouldn't really matter for breaking it in. Making the device wouldn't be terribly hard, bolt it up to the bar mount, crank saw, peg throttle, apply modulating load and walk away. Knowing my laziness, I'd look for a way to expand the fuel tank capacity so I wouldn't have to fill it up as much.

After it breaks in on the dyno (perhaps monitor head temperature), take it off, mod, put it back on, test, and ship it out to some happy owner with verified results. Shipping only one way, and the gets his newly modded saw pronto.

Carl, it's usually about 3-4 weeks. A week shipping each way (although my 880 took about 12 days) and a week or two for him to do his thing. Every other builder I've used took 6 weeks or more.

A complete mod; porting and piston work, lowering the cylinder, can be done in a day. Two days is more practical.

But all the shipping time and cost adds to it, Jay. That's why I'd rather just call EHP, say I want a woods 460, he orders one from the dealer (in America when I talked to him), throws it on the dyno to break it in, mods it, and ships it out. If he does enough volume, he could have the saw in stock. I wouldn't offer the quick turnaround service on every saw, but rather have a set list I apply to standard saws (200/361/460/660) with known results. The art of saw modding would be replaced with applied science with known tollerances and quantified results.

Then again, perhaps this is why I'm not a saw builder.

Ed's ok but can be quite slow. He had Skwishey's saws almost 6 months. He also likes high rpm cookie cutters, I had little success convincing him that I didn't want to run a 16" bar on a 90cc saw.

Jay, you're right. But there's saw testing time as well as allowances for their full time jobs. Brian is an inspector for the fire department when he's not playing with chainsaws in his shop.

The unknowns/inconsistancise is what shy's me away from it. I want to know what to expect, when to expect it, and what it's going to cost. I also want to get what I want, not what they want me to want, like the 200T he told me about, but wouldn't take orders on.

If I fudge up with one of my customers, I make amends as best I can. I forgot to ask my current customer about some drain lines, so I held off blowing off his driveway and grinding the stumps since doing it twice would suck. He was out of town until yesterday, and goes back out tomorrow. Friday the utility lines were marked, but I still didn't know about the drain lines. Yesterday I met him there about the lines and saw that he had blown off the sawdust from the driveway that morning. I tried to give him a hundred bucks for his troubles (10 minutes perhaps, but that's irrelevant), but he wouldn't take it. He then pointed to the ribbons around 5 other trees he added after blowing off the driveway and asked if I had seen those. I hadn't, and he wasn't at all bothered by the driveway, but I told him I'd knock out those 5 trees for free (little fellas).

Unless Squish worked out a deal on Ed doing them when he got around to it, 6 months is inexcusable to me. What's the going rate to mod a 460/660? $400 seems to come to mind.

Back