No-Knot Rigging System

limb is 15' long.. boom out of reach, limb over wires....
why not use a real piece of rope and run that straight down to the crew?
or even if the piece is too big to handle when dynamic, but can be lifted and unhooked when hung...
personally,if i can move it when its static i can with no doubt move it while dynamic,im able to move/manipulate things in their dynamic state that I could not move otherwise.

1) because the lowering line was run through another part of the tree and wasn't worth going to get and re-position for two cuts... other situations might require its use as well... suppose there was an obstruction and it couldn't be lowered straight down... or for working solo

2) we live or die by the laws of physics.. something we are all subject to, no matter how good we think we are...

It appears you never filled out your profile,i am newer the house. You should take the time to fill out your profile as to help people have an idea of who they are talking with👍

It will help with discussions imo,like im wondering how old you are.
How long did you fly your first boom for? Wth were you doing in it to give you medical problems? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452449117.582319.jpg

this limb was 15'+ long... Once it was hung I could just barely lift it up with one hand to unhook it with my free hand.... It was over the deck and tips brushed the roof as it dropped. There was no chance of damage with this set up and no chance of holding that piece with one hand...

Attachments

• crosby hook.jpg
    crosby hook.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 40
I've worked with some big strong climbers that could one hand some big limbs... none of them would have tried to one hand the above limb...

I got my second bucket maybe 10 years ago. I was cutting and chucking my max on a regular basis... both elbows got bursitis, which was just a puffy pocket of fluid and pain and weakness. it got to the point I had to use a 192, because I couldn't one hand a 200t. No medical intervention. they cleared up and never had a problem since. I had to adjust my game though to stop one handing altogether for a couple months. then when they healed up, I just take smaller pieces when I one hand. Its just common sense. if you;re going to one hand big pieces all day every day, that's going to take its toll on the body...

....That crosby hook made this job go a lot faster..

With nothing to stop the Crosby hook from slacking its grip on the limbs in a bounce or trunk hit, why not take two seconds more to throw a half-hitch around the limb in front of it? Common practice even with a Bowline.

That hook makes no sense to me to enter into the rigging here? Steel biner, or a knot or whatever. I would keep a decent sling in the bucket with me for these scenarios with a steel biner on it. If it's used more than once to choke a piece to itself like that so you can then cut and chuck it I find that it would nearly always have been faster to have just rigged/lowered/chipped larger pieces.

I use a steel biner, and I often throw an extra wrap with that to prevent slippage, seems like a fairly similar concept. What I have noticed is the learning curve associated with autolocking biners (Sometimes takes a while for groundies to get it), which seems to be avoided with the no-knot system. All personal preference IMO. Everyone finds that system or bit of gear that just "clicks" for them.

I just can't see it working for me. I don't see it being an improvement on a steel krab, which is easily removed when you want to tie knots. Clove hitch, running bowline or half hitch with the krab all work. Guess I am comfortable with what I do

I just can't see it working for me. I don't see it being an improvement on a steel krab, which is easily removed when you want to tie knots. Clove hitch, running bowline or half hitch with the krab all work. Guess I am comfortable with what I do
Yep. Light, simple, easy. If a groundie has problems opening a double locker after about 60 seconds of instruction, I would encourage him to go into politics.

Tendon strength! You a wrestler, Sgriff?

With nothing to stop the Crosby hook from slacking its grip on the limbs in a bounce or trunk hit, why not take two seconds more to throw a half-hitch around the limb in front of it? Common practice even with a Bowline.

I was thinking just an extra wrap. I'd have to think about it too hard to figure if the half hitch would work.. I'll just try it and get back to you. Maybe tomorrow.. doesn't seem likely that the crosby would slack up enough to lose its grip, but it only has to happen once to make it another consideration that you might not want to deal with again , and we have heard from someone that said it's happened multiple times..
I never rigged with a steel biner much... never like the idea of side loading them.

I never rigged with a steel biner much... never like the idea of side loading them.

I'm just not too sure about you, Murphy. I'm pretty sure about that, too.
Steel biners are all I use, unless negative blocking large wood, when I'll switch over to a running bowline. Side loading doesn't happen, cause a half hitch is also used. And even if side loading DID occur, the half hitch is still gonna absorb most of the force.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Back