No-Knot Rigging System

Hmmmmm... interesting.

How well will it perform on a smooth barked long straight (no fork or stub) limb.

What happens if the hook slides down the rope?

To hold a slick limb, just make wraps before hooking it together, same idea as a french prussic.

I wonder if a wrap would hold the thing tighter for dynamic rigging, where things bounce a round a lot.

A half-hitch or marl would make me more comfy. I would probably opt to stay with one or two half hitches and a choke with a steel biner.

Imo the weakness of a knot is no concern when im using a line of that diameter to rig. Steel biner is well in the wll

For negative blocking a spar, 90% of the time gets spent in lowering and resetting the block. Tying a running bowline takes only a couple of seconds.
this new device should appeal to newbies or guys with ten thumbs, both categories are going to have more limitations in a tree than this device is gonna help.
Learn knots.
Use steel biners preceded by marls.
Amen.
Dave

It may work great but I wonder if the extra weight might pull slack in the line and let it slide down the wood like it did in the video unless the groundie was in lockstep with you. Steel biners on small stuff for me, an extra wrap on the slick stuff.

would like to see it in action , on utube , will be easy to understand when will be useful , before buying it. This cut help me, hummm!

I've never understood the problem with using knots. Groundies can't cypher untying a running bowline?

Get new groundies...

I can't afford a groundie who can't untie a bowline or uncoil a locking biner. It won't take them long to break stuff or loose stuff or keep not doing what they are told. These things lead to frustration, which leads to increased danger.

Get August to make a video. Snapping it on and off in slow motion, looking all serious. You'll get some sales from that.

Most people use loop runners or slings to avoid knots and speed things up. Me included. They're pretty cheap but very secure, and you can add a half hitch to be extra safe.

I could envisage a heavy duty version for crane work would be nice. But that's a limited market.

I think you'll sell some for sure, depending on the cost.

I understand (a little bit) guys having trouble learning to tie knots, but dammit they better be able to untie them!

Nothing faster than a fishermans and a steel carabiner. What happens when the groundsman cuts the end off the splice? (Ive never used a splice eye in all my career. For that very reason!)

I can see where it might save a few seconds here and there, but other situations where it would be a pain.

Not a bad idea, and I'm sure they will sell several, just don't see myself using it. I think I'm faster tying a RB than installing a sling...which is about the same as this knot-less system to me.

or maybe I'm just becoming a curmudgeon and won't learn new tricks...

Or have both ends spliced! ;)

This system does interest me, I only climb once or twice a week, most of the time the HO and their friends/family run the rigging lines for me. Even some of the tree companies I climb for will send the same quality of groundies. Some can't untie a knot for the life of them. Generally I'll just half hitch and replace the RB with a girth hitch (or two) in these situations.....and cut small.

I do have to say some of the best ground workers I've had, that being in the thinking department, have been in their 70's and older.

That's the next purchase! I have used only once a mini porty that I welded up. I made something else up, needs tweeking, or to be scrapped, don't know which yet.

IMG_20150709_103219.jpg

Only knot (that I use) that ground guys sometimes have convulsions untying is a bowline-on-a-bight.
They all seem incapable of untying anything quickly.

Nice Peter. Looks to work like the tht but midline attachable. Might need some stops welded on the ends to keep the rope from slipping off

Back