No-Knot Rigging System

They come up time to time for $60, somehow.

I like to use the two outside slots, rather than all three, or two adjacent ones, with 1/2" rope.

A stretchy rope can help when there is little rope in the system to cushion things.

P.S. Belay Spools aren't made any longer.

They're stainless steel. I forget the strength rating. If resting on a vertical trunk, if you are setting a top rigging point, let it dangle a bit on a longer sling than absolutely necessary.

If you're hanging the BS through an overhead crotch on a basal tied rope, don't pull it tight up to the crotch. Let it have a foot or two.

I generally use a 48" dyneema sling choked, basketed, or whatever.

If strung up tightly in the wrong situation, it can bind up against the trunk, as would a POW, I believe. A bit of wiggling frees that up when it happens.

Pins between the wraps prevent it from having the rope hop over itself, as a POW can, most importantly for negative blocking.

I used my Mini POW the other day with no brake hand to drop madrone chunks, letting them crash land, but preventing them from bouncing down the hill. It was hard to get the right POW wrap, I ended up with more free-fall than I wanted. I didn't want it to lock up and swing into me, plus it was a broken off spar, so I didn't want to shock load it if it was 'snubbed off'. I was tied overhead into another madrone.

working from the bucket on most jobs.. with a skid steer on the ground, the rigging goes pretty quick.. not a lot of time needed to re-position and handle the pieces between cuts... tie it off and cut as soon as the rope comes back.. It looks like a valuable time saver to me... a few seconds per cut can really add up at the end of the day/week/month/year/career... Only concern would be the extra time needed to switch out when it might not be a good fit for the rigging operation, or wanting to switch ends of the rope etc.. I ordered the hardware and will use an anchor hitch on the end of 1/2" true blue.. think what I ordered had a wll or 5,700 lbs.. I'll keep you posted.. I never seriously made the switch to knotless rigging and feel a little guilty for it... so hoping this gets me up to speed..

Works really really well, saves time when it needs to be saved and a little bit of frustration too

but.... It cannot be used on big wood. The rope has way too much stretch and unless you have no targets around (then why are you rigging?) it can dip tremendously! Just ask our customers fence :( the stretch was WELL over 8 feet.

If you are using it to swing rig brush away from targets, or even small wood, and it hits other branches or the trunk on its way down, it has a tendency of coming undone. This has happened to us on a number of occasions and not just once or twice. The hook and shackle are a tight fit, so we do not believe it to be a case of a faulty system.

Still a great way to save time though. we figure it would be best for deadwooding and elevating.

This is working great for me Nick. Thanks for making it happen :thumbup:

Reg, did you see the remote release video that someone rigged up for this, allowing the climber to release a rigged load? Perhaps the greatest advantage over other systems. Its on TreeBuzz.

Reg, did you see the remote release video that someone rigged up for this, allowing the climber to release a rigged load? Perhaps the greatest advantage over other systems. Its on TreeBuzz.

I never did see that Sean. We've just kept it simple. On or off in an instant. Gloves or not. It's a lot like a loggers choker in that sense. We use it all the time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Dc7mk5mHeIE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you have solo work...

I watched it before, but not recently. Seemed to be slick, as I recall.

If you are using it to swing rig brush away from targets, or even small wood, and it hits other branches or the trunk on its way down, it has a tendency of coming undone. This has happened to us on a number of occasions and not just once or twice. The hook and shackle are a tight fit, so we do not believe it to be a case of a faulty system.

I'd assume it becomes unloaded in that scenario and therefore can unshackle...

Can you jam a twig into the gap between the two pieces? This is done with skidding chokers in some instances to keep the choker cinched, without a load on the choker's eye.

Ive used this no-knot system and didnt like it at all...a steel biner is all u need, much easier IMHO

I keep this short sling with crosby permanently attached in the bucket.. don't use it on a regular basis, and it does come in mighty handy in certain situations. I moved rigging points around 15 times yesterday. All with multiple rigging points through various combinations of blocks, shackles and NC... it would never work for me to have the system spliced to a lowering line... by keeping it on a short line it allows me to use it to quickly rig a piece off itself, them cut and chuck it as it hangs, then makes it easy to unhook the final bit one handed.. Then simply tie the end of the sling to the rigging line when needed. this puts a knot in the system so the hook can't get lost and allows for quick interchange. seems to be working pretty well.

Here's an example.. 2 or three cuts that weren't worth moving the rigging line for. Later on I was using a tag line so the groundies could pull some wood over a fence, 18"+ diameter... made it easy to untie and also allowed the tag line to stay tied on above the short sling.. no need to tie and untie the tag line.. I LIKED THAT... anything to save a few seconds on a consistent basis.. Put a little extra fun in the day

Attachments

• crosby hook on oak.jpg
    crosby hook on oak.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 92
here's a better pic, adjusted to show the sling is girth hitched...

That's a pretty sizable oak limb, growing out over the wires... easy to slice when its hanging.. from the bucket of course.. less use if you're in a saddle

Attachments

• crosby hook on oak.jpg
    crosby hook on oak.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 91
limb is 15' long.. boom out of reach, limb over wires.... or even if the piece is too big to handle when dynamic, but can be lifted and unhooked when hung... don't need it often but its pretty quick on and off.. I got bursitis in both elbows right after buying my previous bucket.. had to adjust my technique to cut and chuck smaller pieces.... this allows other options..

On this particular cut there was only this limb and one other I wanted to remove before re-positioning the bucket. .. wasn't worth re-positioning the Line, but too big to cut and chuck. I really haven't used it much, probably will use it more often as an extension on the lowering line as I get more used to it

Works really really well, saves time when it needs to be saved and a little bit of frustration too

but.... It cannot be used on big wood. The rope has way too much stretch and unless you have no targets around (then why are you rigging?) it can dip tremendously! Just ask our customers fence :( the stretch was WELL over 8 feet.

Still a great way to save time though. we figure it would be best for deadwooding and elevating.

I wonder if a wrap would hold the thing tighter for dynamic rigging, where things bounce a round a lot.

A half-hitch or marl would make me more comfy. I would probably opt to stay with one or two half hitches and a choke with a steel biner.

Ive used this no-knot system and didnt like it at all...a steel biner is all u need, much easier IMHO

Over-priced for something that has failed to hold for one crew, multiple times, IMO.

that's about right. I got them from a supply house. not sure of the name right now..

I think it's best to be able to tie on and take off as needed, thus the short sling... good stuff IMO

it wold be nice if treestuff would sell the hook by itself as they do with the rigging rings (even though those aren't David's rings)

that would show a commitment to serving the customers and honoring us with the freedom we so love!

Back