Micro Rigging Line?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Anyone here use small diameter line for light rigging? I've been thinking about getting some ⅜" StableBraid for sending down small branches. Fairly strong, lightweight, and easy to tie. Is it worth getting a couple hundred feet of it?

I use a retired edelweiss 8mm climbing line quite frequently. It was never weighted, just sat in a shipping container for about 6 years in AZ, brand new in its bag. No body was willing to risk putting their life on it, so it's only ever been a rigging line.

Mostly it's a tag line, or otherwise used for persuading, rather than catching anything.

i use 170 foot of snakebite 10mm for my small rigging line, also alot of 80-120 foot lines for natural crotching.

the smallest i typically buy for a dedicated rigging line is 12mm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm gonna think on it awhile. Maybe wait til wesspur has a sale on samson rope. I could get a spool for $400 shipped(current standard price). That would be a 200' rigging rope, then leave 400' on the spool for speedlining or winch line for the winch I don't yet have.

I'm gonna think on it awhile. Maybe wait til wesspur has a sale on samson rope. I could get a spool for $400 shipped(current standard price). That would be a 200' rigging rope, then leave 400' on the spool for speedlining or winch line for the winch I don't yet have.
idk what winch you plan to buy but 3/8 rope is mighty thin for that application.

once a stage rigger brought some dynema to try.
Man 6mm diameter worked as a 16mm rigging line.
only for static situation. a friend of mine ripped of a balkony of an ambassy with 14 or 16mm dyneema rope they bought at a marine supply and did‘nt know that dyneema sucks at energy absorption.

5.6k abs. I can do a lot of work with that, and not have to carry 100# of rope to do it. Specifically, I'm thinking long haul systems for getting stuff out of inaccessible areas without me doing the work.

with a knot tied that’s awful close to what my capstan petrol winch will pull.

also to me it‘s seems like a waste to buy new rope for winching as they get trashed rather quickly, i use my downgraded lowering lines..

Yea, maybe, but I don't have the old gear most of you have. I don't do this stuff every day, so it takes me awhile to wear gear out. My kernmaster special static would make a fantastic light rigging line, but it's nowhere near ready for retirement. I do have some treemaster that's pretty much done, but I wouldn't trust it for much of anything. That's just for dragging stuff with the truck.

3/8 Samson stable braid handles, super light to…. You’ll start going bigger and bigger with it.
I’ve mistreated it often for natural crotch, zip line or whatever, machine pulls… keep mine stuffed in a rope bag

i thought u were talking about that spider line, never used it seems so small it would cut ur finger off

Skinny ropes, no matter of what material and construction, will always be more vulnerable to wear that is of consequence to breaking strength just because to start with there are less fibers to carry the load.

I've thought about making a pocket ultrasling from 9mm tenex. I keep coming back to "why?". For the sizes your dealing with there, loop runners, maybe linked together would be just as good. It would be a cute little thing though. I might make it just to make it.

Yes we just pulled and dragged pieces with it
Dragging is generally not very smooth as far as consistant force applied, unlike a hanging object. This in something to consider in my opinion. That is not to say fully avoid pulling with an ultra-static rope, just understand that its not smooth. There will be some increases in peak forces during the drag in a lot of skidding situations.

50-100 pound branches being positive-rigged down need very little. If I can carry it, a 3/8" line is strong enough to negative-rig it, snubbing it off, I think.

When in doubt, always use bigger.

That's ok. While you all debate this, I'll keep on enjoying all the benefits of have a 200 foot hank of 3/8ths. AKA the princess line.
I have retired one hank of it over the years save for about 100' of it that still goes out. The other 100 feet turned into prussiks, a piece of utility on my pole pruner (the utility line they sent with it was too short), among other little tie down things.
That stupid little 100 feet comes in handy for self lowering.
I've about N/Cd the shat out of this little line and it holds up like a champ. I never even come close to it's limits in light rigging duty.
Even pulled a fair share of trees over with it. Just need an 8mm prussik to grab it.
Self zip lining because it's so damn light you can tension it with a small porty in a tree.
Retrieval on speed line set ups.... On winching set ups.... groung man 200 feet down the hill setting the winch line can just pull it right back to him. No need to climb up and down a hill.
It really has a niche. And it's the gift that keeps giving .
No, it does not go out every day. The 1/2" is always the go to for most rigging and pulling needs. But it has it's place.
I do not use it for a winch line though. The smaller diameter rope will (IMO) wear the aluminum capstan too quickly.

Back