New Saddle

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
I ordered a Versatile Deluxe this morning. I've been having a hankering for a bosun seat saddle (Not butt strap) for a while now, plus I like the "versatile" aspect of attachment points.

Anyone else have any experience with this particular saddle? :drink:

And FRIG a "Treemotion!"

Here is my latest incarnation of the Vesratile. How be it with out Bosun Seat. I have the seat here some where...I hope. I really like it. The Bosun seat took me a week or so to get used to. But it's a decent enough saddle. I had the versatile with the dedicated bosun seat. Climbed in that one about 4-5 yrs. then sold it.

My New Tribe is still my fav though.

Attachments

• IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    476.2 KB · Views: 19
Been climbing on a Versatile (oldie, non deluxe) for nigh on to 10 years...

And a B-fly.

I considered the TM at $500...at $560...errrr

The Petzl Sequoia SRT may well fit the bill!

It is a discontued Pro Model Versatile. At least I dont think it's available any more?

But any way you can swap out the bosun seat for leg straps or the other way around if you like.

Oh, it was a special order from Buckingham

My first harness...a bit bulky, but then maybe you are a bit bulky:lol:

Butch,

Keep us informed and updated as you break it in.

I for one would be very interested in how you like the Versatile with the bosun seat and how it holds up. If I ever get a chance to buy a new saddle this would be my choice. The deluxe version looks really appealing to me. Looks comfortable. Those multiple attachment points on the bridge look like they would be all I would need and them some for my style of climbing.

After about a month of almost full time climbing while my truck was down it might be time for a change in the comfort department and make things a little easier on the body. I don't plan on being a fulltime climber, not by a long shot, but when I do it would be nice to have a few ammenities in my old age as this would be the last saddle I would buy.

I like mine. It is in fact quite versatile, imagine that. I'd like to try SRT sometime and I'm not sure how that would work, it seems like it might be a little awkward.
It has held up well, but it certainly isn't a lightweight.

TS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm probably gonna send it back because I forgot to tell them I want the large dees. CRAP.

Been climbing on a Versatile (oldie, non deluxe) for nigh on to 10 years...

And a B-fly.

I considered the TM at $500...at $560...errrr

The Petzl Sequoia SRT may well fit the bill!

Roger, The Sequoia is a little too lightweight. Not real comfortable on a big removal. I'd get the Tree Austria III. It's a great work saddle, I use it more than any of my three saddles. I've relegated the Petzl for classes only and the rescue bag.

The TreeAustria 111 is a great saddle. I bought one for myself, and had it 'stolen' by one of my main climbers. He loves it. I used it for awhile and like it better than my TA2.
Hard to find a durable saddle that works real well. Good luck Butch!

Butch is UPGRADING his climbing systems! :)

Mark this day in your calenders. Next will be a split tail and a micro pulley (two of the best upgrades in the climbing world IMO)

I'm probably gonna send it back because I forgot to tell them I want the large dees. CRAP.

-----------------------------

Butch,

I've only ever usea a Versitile saddle and the Large "D's" are a very good idea! I went with the big D's on my rig and am glad I did!!! My next saddle will also have the bigons on it!

It was another $20 for each of the upgrades I went with. I ordered mine directly from Buckingham and had them do all the custom stuff to it.

Not sure if they sell retail on a regular basis but when I tryed to order a custom rig from Sherrill...they told me to call Buckingham directly.

BTW, Buckingham did charge me Sherrills list price though. They even offered to build it with what ever colour material I wanted...so long as it was a colour they had it in stock. ;)

Have to admit it is a bit on the bulky side!

HC

If the large D's are still the floppy, straight ones, they suck! I had to wrap a bunch of string around the base of my right one, so that it would stand out, as it was difficult to clip into.

Butch, you oughta check out the batten seat Komet....I think it's called the Dragonfly? D rings are excellent....price is reasonable....

Roger, The Sequoia is a little too lightweight. Not real comfortable on a big removal. I'd get the Tree Austria III. It's a great work saddle, I use it more than any of my three saddles. I've relegated the Petzl for classes only and the rescue bag.

Mickey is on his third one.....

I'll have to peruse it more closely next time he works with us. I want to have a rope bridge....perhaps it is moddable. I'd like to have the option of a chest harness/suspenders on my next saddle---for the double duty of saw support, keeping the saddle nice and high, and for SRT....

I use my old Versatile for removals, and have Travis's old Traverse that I could set up as a replacement..it's also a medium...for 10 years now, I've fought that Versatile Small...everything is too close together, and I can barely fit my lardass into it...besides, the weak tool loops have long since broken off, which I replaced with string.

I'll have to try the Sequoia SRT, but I'd hope it will be an upgrade over the B'fly1 for pruning. Wish it had wider leg loops, or stiffies like the Kolibri

Back