Need to vent the chip box!

NickfromWI

King of Splices
So we got our chipper a few months ago. Love it. If you don't have one, get one.

It creates a lot of dust around the chipper. I know that a lot of this can be reduced by venting the chip box.

How big should the vents be?

I'm thinking about printing up a copy of our logo, stenciling that onto the truck with holes on a grid patter, then drill out the holes with 1/4" - 1/2" bit. What size holes you think I'd need.

Or I could even just cut out the whole logo in its entirety. I wouldn't use our whole logo- it would be a simplified version, like this

plain logo.jpg

Where should the vents go? I'm thinking i usually remember seeing them in the front top corners on the sides. Are there vents out the front, too?

Post a pic of your vents!!!

love
nick

That's badass. Usually front top side corner, but I've also seen them across the entire top on the sides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm realizing that if I fully cut out the logo, the buildings will be just standing there ready to be tweaked by a twig when we drive around a tight street.

I might have to go with the drill out option.

You could leave little 'stencil tags', so that the tops of the buildings aren't floating there. Same for the tree. Just little lines of metal keeping everything connected. (If that makes sense?)

I vented mine and soon closed them up. They make a mess of the place.

When you get down to the last 1/3, cut the throttle a bit you won't have as much coming out the back.
If you have a small motor, I wouldn't cut it down.

I know what you mean. I'd have to test it out on paper. I think it might look a little chinsey. But maybe better than drilling holes?

I bet I'd have to make the logo huge to be noticeable from drill holes

I would think the mess is a given, it just depends where you want it to occur.

We have vents running front to back on both sides. THey have slats like you see on any air duct. We get some dust on the front, but its better than chips blowing out the back. If you aim the chute right at the vents more stuff come out but its easily dispersed with the blower. We run a ~180 hp chipper?

No vents on any of ours - dust only seems to be a problem with deadwood, which is expected. Does the shoot of the chipper go deep into the chip box?

I used to have a Unimog and we made the chip entrance hole as small as possible and it made a huge difference. Really no mess at all.

If you put too many vents the dust and debris will come out the box and onto the cab and side of your truck, something to think about.

jp:D

What if I lined the inside of the vents with window screen held on by duct tape. Would enough air get out?

Some one try it and report back :)

love
nick

It won't work: it will clog up toot sweet.

I'd leave your rig alone and install mudflaps on the right and left sides, with the chute blasting between them.

I had sap from a hybrid white poplar of some sort bond to the paint on a truck of mine and I have never been able to get it off.

Back