Decluttering

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who would get rid of maracas?

Excellent question.

When I'm straightening things up and I come across something that seems neglected yet also potentially cool or useful, I'll hang it up in a more prominent spot so that it stays on my radar and hopefully sees some use. The maracas were that kind of thing. I hung em up with easy access but still didn't touch em for 2 or 3 years. So yesterday, as they were headed to the Goodwill pile, I tried em out for a few minutes, see if I could get a vibe going that might cause them to stay.

Yeah nah.

I have moved a lot in my life and each time I have moved I toss or give away what I have not used to its full potential in-between. Only to realize later I could have used some of that stuff I tossed. Buy it again. The amount of waste is incredible.

If I were a farmer I'd have 3 barns chock full of stuff. 90% of which I'd never use again. But then you never know for sure.

When you bring the drops home from work is when the problem is real lol. Aka my everything
But you also might be getting some useful stock. I'm talking I save the slugs out of a hole saw cut or the 1"x1"x 1" triangular drop off of a corner.

I'd save em for burning in the stove, what else could they be good for?

Got it

I have a sweet bike maintenance stand waiting at the end of the driveway now for it's new forever home.

The worst example I can think of relating to tree guys is saving used chains. If the chain is trashed enough to take it off the saw and replace it, then it's never going back on the saw again. I cured myself of that one less than 10 years into the business when I realized my tool box had 10 lbs of chains in it that were all rusted together into one giant glob. I gained a lot of useful space in the box that day and swore never to save used chains again.

The exception to this would be guys with a chain grinder who don't hand file.

That's the thing, it's all good stock. I'm slowly coming back to normal, and will be getting a large lathe this fall. I've been researching getting into casting metals, and will hopefully be starting that this winter. I'm planning on building a cupola furnace, my first will be a couple steel 55 gallon drums welded together. You weld up a swing down bottom door, a funnel coming out the side, a wind box around it, and then weld the second drum on to make it taller. Then you line the whole thing with refractory, build a sand floor sloping to the drain, and then use charcoal and scrap iron (drops from me building, scrap metal from jobs, etc) to melt cast iron. I guess one built that size puts out something like 1000 pounds of molten iron an hour. So I'll also have to do a charcoal kiln. That way i could fabricate complicated and heavy sections, bearings, etc, in wood or Styrofoam or even 3d printed molds and patterns, cast in mounding sand, and then bolt or rivet (free with scrap leaf and coil springs, axles, etc). All for free with my collections lol.

The worst example I can think of relating to tree guys is saving used chains. If the chain is trashed enough to take it off the saw and replace it, then it's never going back on the saw again. I cured myself of that one less than 10 years into the business when I realized my tool box had 10 lbs of chains in it that were all rusted together into one giant glob. I gained a lot of useful space in the box that day and swore never to save used chains again.

My job is to restore trashed neglected chains into like new performing chains by hand filing.

My job is to restore trashed neglected chains into like new performing chains by hand filing.

Yo, when we nuked the giant beech a couple days ago I was thinking of you and grateful you sorted out the mind bending problems I had with a 42" bar because I was running .50 gauge on a .63 gauge bar..... :|: :|: :|:

Lol not really, they do it in community college art classes. It was done that way 2000 years ago by the Chinese. They are basically a baby blast furnace. They were the most common way of making iron for casting goods ranging from children's toys to engines, and later were used for feeding the steel converters until the 90s when the epa cracked down on them. The big ones would run continuously for months on end, with large cranes and hoppers to pile in the alternating layers of scrap and coke.

But back in the day charcoal was used, and the iron that it made was clear of sulfur (a contaminant from the coke) and was so much better that scrap from it was considered the best feedstock you could get because the iron strength is so much better. With steel scrap, aka all my scrap, you will produce what they call semi steel, a cast iron with much smaller graphite cells but still soft, and has better tensile properties. Either way it should work, if it worked in Jesus's time it will work now, and with a large lathe i can build virtually anything i care to tackle. I also love the idea of fabricating my next project on the kitchen table in the ac/ heat, using a hot glue gun sticking together foam patterns with the kids lol.

Or guys who have to trim logs after they have been skidded out through mud.
Before we take off a chain, because it is used up, we give it a last stroke and set it aside for that purpose.

Kyle Im sure you know as you come from a metal working back ground, use a resperator when casting. I sand casted a lot of aluminum parts when I was first trying to build Wraptors and feel like it had a noticable effect on my cognative ability

Thx for the heads up, yeah al foundries are miserable. I've worked in an al foundry, thankfully only for a couple days replacing a pump. You can taste it after you leave. I've also worked in an iron foundry, which is surprisingly much better as far as fumes and stuff goes. Wayyyyyy more heat tho, holy crap i wish i could post pictures, it's like stepping into the fires of mordor or something :lol: Arc and induction furnaces 3 stories tall full of molten iron, huge gas burners keeping stuff hot and dry, heat treat furnaces 100s of feet long, and chemically set silica sand molding process (a very serious respiratory issue). I'll be doing it outside and likely with a big fan blowing the foam gases away, and still likely wearing a respirator. For doing metal work, it's amazing how few people use a fan as a form of ppe, if I'm stick welding or torching inside (and sometimes out) I'll have a fan blowing the smoke away. Tig and mig really don't like having the shielding gas blown away, so those are done with no fans at all. I've been known to shut fans and heaters off if i think it will mess with my welding. But stick doesn't care, so use a fan.

Oh the drama of used chains! Loops hanging on hooks...and used silky saw blades...they are virtually no good, but, but, what a waste to chuck them, surely they could be useful for something!?

Excellent question.

@FireFighterZero , your question is haunting me a bit.

Do you care to elaborate on your maracas question?

Were you being flippant or were you honestly surprised about the concept of someone choosing to discard a simple percussion musical instrument. Like maybe it illustrates a significant personality defect or something.

Oh the drama of used chains! Loops hanging on hooks...and used silky saw blades...they are virtually no good, but, but, what a waste to chuck them, surely they could be useful for something!?
But when they add up and you have 70 of them that have been dulled once then tossed to the side? That's like $2000 worth of chains... or is it? Are you paying for a new chain full of life when you buy a chain, or are you just paying whatever it costs for your saw to cut well for a while? Paying someone to sharpen is like rebuying your chains over and over again, but without throwing them away or having them clutter up the place, and you can get 2-5 sharpened chains for the price of one new chain.
20210417_165811 (410x640).jpg

I would like to resharpen hand saws too, but most probably have hardened teeth except for the expensive ones that are designed to be resharpened like silkys

Back