Need help choosing a saw

Shane

TreeHouser
Hi I'm a novice chainsaw user I learned when I was about 12 years old on a old Homelite cutting firewood with my father. I have used chainsaws since any thing from a old husqvarna 51,61 and a 365 special as well as some stihls. I really want to get a brand new saw which will be used form moderate use doing fire wood and possibly on the back of my quads (mostly firewood). I would like to run a 24 inch bar for bucking and then possibly get a 18 inch bar for on the back of the quad. I dont want to mess around with the consumer grade crap as I've used that and I'm not happy with the performance and i would like this saw to last me a long time. I would say I'm more of a husqvarna fan then a stihl fan just from the saws ive used and looking them up on paper plus watching videos. I am really leaning to wards the 562 for a 60 cc saw looks really good on paper I'm just a little concerned with the auto tune systems on them. I'm not afraid of the bigger saws but I dont think I need bigger, the other saw i was looking at is the 365 looks like a really nice saw $200 cheaper but at the same time I dont mind spending a littler more for a better saw. Mostly cutting Alder, Hemlock and Fir (west coast Vancouver). I have heard that a lot of people have switched to stihl because of customer service how ever I'm not going to own multiple saws so that does not concern me as much. I would say that the average size of wood i would be cutting is 16-18 inch diameter and largest 24". looking forward to some professional advice and not from a dealer lol.

Stihl 361...or perhaps it'll be a 362 these days I suppose, though given the choice, I'd take the former just on general principle.

I don't have a 562, but from what I've read it would be my next new saw if I were in the market! Guys have been able to pull 28" bars with them. Most of the auto tune teething problems were sorted out on the 575, there have been few problems reported on the 562 and most of those a new carb sorted it right out.

Shane, relative qualities of any particular saw against another aside, it would be wise to consider local service and parts availability. I might be tempted by a Husky but for the fact that there isn't a saw shop in 100 miles that's worth a damn that handles them, whereas the local Stihl shop is a good one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thank you guys. wondering if theres anyone out there that owns one and what their thoughts are on that saw.

Wise words, Burham!

I'm in a similar situation. Super fine local Stihl dealer and the Husky/Jonsered dealer is a crook.

If you don't plan on cutting a lot, Follow Burnham's advice.
I personally find the 361/362 too weak for everyday logging, I run a 441 with an 18" bar for that.
That is, however, hardwood cutting, you might get by with the 60cc saws in softwood.

i guess it comes down to weather you like stihls or husqvarna eh? between the two brands not looking at service just performance and longevity whats the better choice?

im looking to do about 10 to 15 cords of wood a year aiming for 10 lol 15 absolute max. i would say mostly alder as well.

I'm going on Shane's description of his intended use. A 441 is a fine saw, agreed, but overkill for his needs as I understand them.

im in a small town and the only shop her caries both lol its very close how ever im not to far from the city either so service is not to much of a major form me . as well i have a friend that can get me a discount (around $150 per saw) through his business. with that said is the 441 computer maintained saw as well?

plus i like the weight range of the 562 i picked one up and was shocked on how light it was no fuel or oil but 24 inch bar felt really nice and balanced.

i also think 441 is a little more than i need. my dads 89 husqvarna 61 has worked well and i like that size my arms dont get burned out after a full day of bucking and splitting but that saw is getting a little tired these days.

The 562 is a super aggressive, high performance felling & limbing saw & will outcut the stihl 361/2 easily. Overkill for cutting firewood perhaps? Have you considered the husky 365? Strong & very much suited to firewood work

that was the other saw i was looking at how ever i am a performance man i own many fast powerful toys and my tools are no exception either i held both saws same size bars and really liked the weight of the smaller 562 plus im a bit stubern when i get my mind stuck on something . i have been researching for the last 2 weeks every night for many hours and im still not to sure. i might borrow my friends 460 and 365 put them iin some wood and go from there. i would rather overkill then under kill to. plus i have 6 acres of undeveloped land i plan on developing in the next couple years mostly alder and ceder on it

460 is a wonderful saw, one of my favorites...but considering your intended uses as you've articulated them, your back might explain to you the error of your ways a few years down the road.
:)

oh by the way im 29 very active weigh in at 160 lbs not a lick of fat on me (no matter how hard i try)

my friend that has the 460 said his shoulders dont like him very much these days to many drop starts

Seeing as you'd mostly be cutting alder and cedar I grudgingly have to admit that Burnham is right, the 441 would be a bit overkill.

As for which brand is better Stihl or Husqvarna, I honestly don't thunk there is much difference today. It is mostly about dealer supoort IMO.

As for the MS441C model, we run 2 of them right now and my old 441 will get traded in for another when logging season starts in fall.
Great, smoothrunning saw IMO.

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Shane! I'd probably go with something like this.

i guess it comes down to weather you like stihls or husqvarna eh? between the two brands not looking at service just performance and longevity whats the better choice?

Shane you might want to seriously look at Butch's recommendation of the Stihl 441 M-Tronic. 71cc and has the features of the smaller Husky 562. Husqvarna. This new auto tune / M-Tronic technology is amazing for a excellent running saw.
Husqvarna does sell a 576XP AutoTune that competes with the 441 Stihl. I own a 562XP Husky and I love it and seeing your in B.C. Husqvarna offers good support there as I see a lot of loggers and arborist are using in B.C. In the PNW U.S.A Stihl has very strong support.
So you have 3 saws to decide from....441, 576 , 562

Back