Need help choosing a saw

My two cents...
If you want a good reliable saw pick a older model that has been on shelf for a while.
See if you can get a 372 non X-Torq version it will serv you well for a long time!

Perhaps Willard will let go of his wonderful 272 now that he has new favorite?
That is a fine saw!

Seeing as you'd mostly be cutting alder and cedar I grudgingly have to admit that Burnham is right, the 441 would be a bit overkill.

As for which brand is better Stihl or Husqvarna, I honestly don't thunk there is much difference today. It is mostly about dealer supoort IMO.

As for the MS441C model, we run 2 of them right now and my old 441 will get traded in for another when logging season starts in fall.
Great, smoothrunning saw IMO.

Grudgingly??
:D

My two cents...
If you want a good reliable saw pick a older model that has been on shelf for a while.
See if you can get a 372 non X-Torq version it will serv you well for a long time!

Perhaps Willard will let go of his wonderful 272 now that he has new favorite?
That is a fine saw!
:)That new 272XP with only a few tanks through it will stay a shelf queen for a while....not every day does a guy stumble upon a sweet saw like that today.
I own a 372XP non X-Torq and as a strong a running saw as it is, it is a PITA to run compared to my 562XP. The 372's micky mouse choke and on / off switch is a major dislike for me, especially when the choke control falls off the carb or the ignition switch wires also fall off.
The new 562XP "auto on" master control switch is a breeze to use seeing that's the part of the saw the operator uses most through out the day. The Stihl 441 C-M Tronic like all Stihls has a single all in one master control switch, but not sure if it has auto on though, if it doesn't then the 562XP wins out.

What is Auto-on? I've been in the habit for about 15 years now to always flip the switch back to "run" after I shut the saw off. That's one way I know when somebody has been messin' with my saw.:/: I like my Stihl saws, but I can't stand that stupid friggin' one control lever. My Husky saws I start at idle, with the brake locked on. Stihls, you have to have them on full throttle to start them. That really pisses me off. I'd really like to get rid of all my older saws and replace them with Stihls, but I just can't get over that all in one lever.:X Stihl bars and chain are way better than anything else offered around here, which is my main motivation for wanting to switch.

You guys seem embattled with the world over saw switches. It's all groovy!

Attachments

• Robert-Williams-10.jpg
    Robert-Williams-10.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 31
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
you guys are too funny but very informative. i also dont like the master switch on the stihls it feels like its going to snap every time i go to start them.

The auto on is a spring loaded kill switch. Stays in the on position after you touch it to kill the saw. Next time you grab the saw just give it a yank and it starts. No flipping switches. Sounds like a stupid novelty, I know. But use it for a week and you'll curse the fact that every saw isn't designed that way.

I'd love to see what chainsaws look like in 2113. With any luck, TreeHouse members will be talking about them!!! :rockon:

I fear the idea of 2113. I wont be here of course, but Im afraid society will have trashed the earth by then.

The auto on is a spring loaded kill switch. Stays in the on position after you touch it to kill the saw. Next time you grab the saw just give it a yank and it starts. No flipping switches. Sounds like a stupid novelty, I know. But use it for a week and you'll curse the fact that every saw isn't designed that way.
This feature of returning to on position is not new, it was on saws and clearingsaws before with the rectangular switch too. Installed bunches of them...

New feature is that you can let go before it is really killed and it will not restart. Not until it has been really stopped.

This feature of returning to on position is not new, it was on saws and clearingsaws before with the rectangular switch too. Installed bunches of them...

New feature is that you can let go before it is really killed and it will not restart. Not until it has been really stopped.

I know that it has existed for a long time.

I know that it has existed for a long time.
Yeah I drove old 1960 Ski Doo snowmobiles with the little ground button switch, but the button had to be held down until the motor completely stopped turning or the motor would fire up again.
The beauty about these auto on Husqvarna switchs is the operator just has to tap it with his thumb and the micro processor senses that and shuts down the ignition.
I think the throttle has to be released before the ignition is shut down when tapping the switch or you could have a lot of accidental shutdowns at WOT in the wood. I'll test my 562 today to see if this is the case.

I have handed my 562 to several DIE HARD Stihl users and they have all been inquisitive about cost and where to get one. That says something.

In fact, my uncle in the business requests mine when making cuts bigger then 200T material in the tree, when he and I work together. He scowls at Husqvarna saws, but gestures at my 562 to be sent to him when needed.

Back