My cousin's husband died in a farm accident yesterday

stehansen

Climbing Up
Yesterday my cousin's husband (my Dad's sister's daughter) died in a farm accident. I didn't see him very often but he was a really interesting guy. She was raised in Santa Barbara county in southern California and went to graduate school at OSU and met this Okie guy and married him. My cousin runs the cafeteria at OSU and they had 160 acres in southern Oklahoma in Love county. He started off as a high school ag teacher and was elected to a county commissioner deal and then went back to OSU as a counselor and rodeo coach. He was then elected to the state leglisature a few years back. Anyway here is an obituary I found on line.

The McCarville Report Online
Covering Oklahoma political news and government since 1980, TMRO's motto is: Follow The Money. "Oklahoma's premier conservative political blog." ~ hucksarmy.com

Web wwwtmrcom.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 28, 2008
TERRY HYMAN DIES IN FARM ACCIDENT

State Rep. Terry Hyman, D-Leon, died in an accident on his farm sometime Friday afternoon. His body was discovered about 10:20 p.m. last night.
Hyman, 56, apparently was operating equipment on his Love County farm. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol reports he was standing close to a tractor when it lunged forward, knocking him down, and he then became entangled in a bladed brush hog that rolled over him. He was able to extricate himself, but was found dead at the scene of severe injuries.
It's the second tragedy to strike the Hyman family; his daughter, Jennifer, disappeared from Oklahoma City in 2003 and her body was found dumped near an interstate highway in Mississippi.
Democratic House leader Danny Morgan praised the respected Hyman.
“He was a quiet and steady legislator,” said Morgan, of Prague. “He had respect among all of the members out there, both Republicans and Democrats. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."
"Today, Oklahomans mourn the loss of a dedicated and beloved public servant," said Governor Brad Henry. "Terry Hyman was a true native son of Oklahoma. He loved farming and rodeo, and he was fiercely devoted to making a better life for his constituents. In the wake of his tragic and untimely death, I know I speak for all Oklahomans when I say Rep. Hyman's wife and family are in our thoughts and prayers."
State law allows for the Democratic Party to choose a new candidate to replace Hyman on the ballot. After a candidate's death, the party must submit a new name in writing within five days.
Senator Jay Paul Gumm, whose Senate district overlaps the House district Hyman represented, said, “My family and I are shocked and saddened at the untimely passing of Rep. Terry Hyman. This is an unthinkable loss for a family who love him, a state that is better because of him, and friends who will miss him. He was the first person to visit my wife and me in the hospital after the birth of our son – that was the kind of person Terry was. His humor, wisdom, strength and quiet courage are an incredible legacy, and will forever serve as an example to all of us who serve the public. Those of us fortunate enough to serve alongside him will do our best to carry on his work. We will miss our friend, we will never forget him and we all are better because we knew him.”
Rep. Joe Dorman said, “Terry was one of my advisors in college, and he taught me to always stand up for those who can’t fight against the powers that be. He was one of the unsung leaders at OSU, and later in the House of Representatives, who worked behind the scenes to make sure those that needed help received it. He will be missed by many that never knew how much he did to help out the common good.”
Rep. Wes Hilliard said, “I am deeply saddened by the news of the tragic passing of my friend and colleague, Representative Hyman. Not only did we enter the state House together as freshmen, Terry served as my advisor during my college years at Oklahoma State University. I learned so much from him, both at the state House where his quick wit and depth of the issues made him any incredible debater, and at OSU where his passion for education was so infectious that it made a lasting impact on me and anyone else who spent time with him. He will be sorely missed, but I believe we can all find comfort in knowing he made the most of his time here on Earth and his service to our state has made Oklahoma a better place to live, work and raise a family.”
Hyman was elected to the House in 2004.
Hyman attended Oklahoma State University, where he obtained a bachelor's degree in agriculture and a master's in political science and public administration.
After his first graduation from OSU, he ran for Love County commissioner and defeated a 12-year incumbent. He later returned to Stillwater, where he spent 13 years as OSU's rodeo coach and coordinator of freshman programs, and was also faculty adviser for the university's Young Democrats student organization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear this Steve. My prayers go out to you and your family. God bless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hundreds Gather For State Representative Terry Hyman's Funeral

Updated: July 2, 2008 04:36 PM PDT

Featured Video

Hundreds Gather For State Representative Terry Hyman's Funeral
KTEN Local News
Hundreds gathered Wednesday at The Ardmore Convention Center for the funeral of Oklahoma State Representative, Terry Hyman. The 56-year-old was killed in a tragic tractor accident last Friday on his southern Oklahoma farm. KTEN's Hailee Holliday reports.

Wednesday, flags were flown at half-staff as hundreds of family, friends and state lawmakers mourned the loss of Representative Terry Hyman, including Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry.

The former Oklahoma State Rodeo Coach was serving his fifth year as a state representative of Oklahoma's 49th District.

He also happened to be my advisor , freshman year at OSU.

Hyman was seeking re-election this year.

Many at the funeral spoke of what an honorable man Hyman was and told stories of their times together.

State Representative Greg Piatt says, "Terry's a man that really truly loved people and he loved serving people and that's what I'm always going to remember."

Oklahoma Senator Johnny Crutchfield says, "Terry Hyman was the most humble man that I've ever met. He treated everybody equal, he got along with people, that's why he was a man of honesty and integrity."

State lawmakers say Hyman will be deeply missed and will be remembered for his many accomplishments.

Hyman's friends say they are all better people for knowing the late lawmaker.

Farming is an extremely dangerous occupation... I can attest. My cousin and I were involved in a pretty bad farm accident last year...

Its frightful how quick things can turn bad.

I am sorry for your loss.

Doesn't seem to be much of anything done on a farm that can't maim or kill you. Just a moment of inattention can be too much.

Sorry for your loss, Steve. Sounds like he was a very special man.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Doesn't seem to be much of anything done on a farm that can't maim or kill you. Just a moment of inattention can be too much.

Sorry for your loss, Steve. Sounds like he was a very special man.

He was.

Back